Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 4:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Apnea = Cluster Headache ???? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Apnea = Cluster Headache ????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Apnea = Cluster Headache ????  (Read 2434 times)
Spike_Inmyeye
New Board Junior
Syria 

Better living through oxygen!

Apnea = Cluster Headache ????
« on: Dec 19th, 2005, 10:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't know if this is bullshit or not, and generally I am pretty good at figuring out the bullshit.  I had a sleep study performed a few weeks ago and was told that I had "obstructive sleep apnea."  Yes, another thing to worry about as I get older.  At any rate the neuro who interpreted the test told me that my oxygen levels were quite low when I slept and accounted for a number of symptoms I had including cluster headaches.  He said my o2 level was low about 90 minutes after I went to sleep.  This corresponds nicely to when I would get a CH.  He also said that this was why when I used o2 as an abortive it would raise my level and eliminate the CH.  OK, this made sense but why didn't I have CH all the time?  He said that the lower o2 was a good trigger when I was in a cycle but may not trigger a CH when I was out of cycle.  Which leads me to conclude that the CH will wake me up to keep me from going brain dead when my o2 gets low.  Unfortunately there are those times when I am not in cycle where my brain cells are allowed to burn out!  He concluded by telling me that 80% of people with CH have sleep apnea (I have mentioned this in a post some time ago) and this was a common problem.  So is the neuro full of it or has anyone else had this experience? Thanks.
IP Logged

"If you can treat it over-the-counter it isn't a headache"
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

Re: Apnea = Cluster Headache ????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 11:47pm »

Hi Spike

I wouldn’t want to prove or disprove your Neuro; a lot of people suffer from sleep apnoea but don’t get clusters.
One of the guys I work with suffers badly with SA and the only headache he knows is wine induced, this guy suffers so badly that other people have to sleep well away from him because of his snorting & snoring that it keeps them awake.
I had SA for a while some years ago but it simply went away after a couple of years.
The lack of sleep I endured through the last cycle I think was just that I was shit scared that I was going to hit as soon as I fell asleep so my own self conscious was depriving me of sleep not apnoea or the eventual cluster that I would have around 2 am.

Probably not been much help to you but then again we are all different in the way these things  effect us.

Kind Regards
Barry
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2005, 11:48pm by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 11:17am »

I had sleep studies done and I do NOT have sleep apnea.  So how do you explain my ch?  My Dad has sleep apnea real bad but no ch.  How do you explain that?  The gurus of ch have said ch is caused by a brain defect.  Maybe your apnea triggers your ch but is not the cause of it.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2005, 11:18am by Karla » IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 11:20am »

Here are some studies:
http://www.ouch-us.org/chgeneral/apnea.htm
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Spike_Inmyeye
New Board Junior
Syria 

Better living through oxygen!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 4:22pm »

Thank you.  That was very helpful!
IP Logged

"If you can treat it over-the-counter it isn't a headache"
Dave
New Board Junior

« Reply #5 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 8:51pm »

Very interesting.  I've pondered this one and there may be some connection.

But if I had to guess, I would veer toward sleep apnea being more of a red herring than a cause.  It might be a trigger, but you can definitely get plenty of cluster headaches without having interrupted breathing.

There are numerous cures for sleep apnea, and I do not think they stop cluster headaches.  Low tech approaches are sleeping on your side (not your cluster side), breathe-right strips, and decongetsants.
IP Logged
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 10:37pm »

Although there is an interesting link between apnea and CH I can tell you from personal experience having the apnea treated doesn't have any effect on the CH's  I had a sleep study, they found I have apnea and my O2 levels crash, I had the apnea corrected with a cpap machine, and I'm still getting CH.  It does help tremedously with sleep when I'm not in cycle though, so that is a huge plus.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss