Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 1:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hello--hoping to get to know all of ya... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hello--hoping to get to know all of ya...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello--hoping to get to know all of ya...  (Read 205 times)
l_diaz41
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hello--hoping to get to know all of ya...
« on: Apr 27th, 2004, 9:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I hope someone can clarify something for me--what's the difference between a migraine and a cluster headache? Huh  I think I've had both, but I've had a migraine diagnosis since I was 4--my mom tells me I used to complain all the time that my head hurt; I still remember my first visit to a neurologist.  Kind of cool, now that I think about it.   laugh

As a 29 year sufferer, I am glad to have found this board.  When I went the longest without a migraine was about 3 years after a year long treatment with Bellergal tablets--ergotamine.  However, I once had a migraine for 3 days and I was given an Imitrex injection--it worked wonders!  My headache was gone within an hour of getting the shot.   Shocked

And I guess that's all about me.  I'm 33 years old, single but taken, and a pretty nice gal to those whom I like and who like me.  Hope you all get to like me!  I'm getting to like this board a whole lot.  Grin

Cheers,
Lucy
IP Logged

"Liberty's chief foe is Theology"--Charles Bradlaugh
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Nothing is accomplished without passion

Email

Re: Hello--hoping to get to know all of ya...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 10:45pm »

Hey Lucy,
 I don't know about migraines,I've never had them. I get cluster headaches. The Imetrex will work for both because the "causes" are similar. The results are much different.
 I would suggest,if you hav'nt already,you take the cluster quiz here and see how it compares to what you are experiencing. I do have friends who suffer from migraines and I can tell you they are thankful they don't suffer from clusters when they see me in cycle.
 Good luck with your research.
...Mark..
IP Logged
l_diaz41
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 7:47am »

Mark,

Thanks so much for the suggestion on taking the cluster headache quiz--I was curious because, for the most part, I get headaches with aura, usually confined to one side of the head, but I recall one particular ocassion where I was just banging my head into the wall because of the pain--I was in college at the time and in absolute misery for three days.

I will take the quiz, and hopefully will get a much clearer outlook on my condition--and hopefully I get to stick around, even if they're not clusters.

Thanks,
Lucy
IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 7:17pm »

Welcone and I'm sorry you have to deal with this horror.

One way that works for me is that clusters will wake you out of a sound sleep and when getting hit, you cannot sit still or rest. This kind of pain reaches a new level.  

I hope you stick around and let us know you're getting along.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
l_diaz41
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 7:56pm »

Charlie and Mark,

Thank you both for your replies and your encouragement--from my quiz, I derived that I have suffered at least one cluster headache--when I was in college; it woke me up from a sound sleep and I was in horrific pain for days--but mostly, I suffer migraines.

I like the Imitrex because it works well for me when I do have a debilitating migraine that leaves me in a dark room, without sounds to annoy me for days at a time.  However, I have read that some people develop a tolerance to Imitrex--has anyone experienced this?

Thanks much!
Lucy

PS.  My sympathies to you all who suffer from cluster headaches on a very regular basis--I get them once in a very great while--I am fortunate the last one I had was in college, about 10 years ago.
IP Logged

UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 8:51pm »

on Apr 28th, 2004, 7:47am, l_diaz41 wrote:
I was in college at the time and in absolute misery for three days.

Not a cluster

on Apr 28th, 2004, 7:56pm, l_diaz41 wrote:
I have suffered at least one cluster headache--when I was in college; it woke me up from a sound sleep and I was in horrific pain for days--

Not a cluster

on Apr 28th, 2004, 7:56pm, l_diaz41 wrote:
I get them once in a very great while--I am fortunate the last one I had was in college, about 10 years ago.

Not a cluster

But then again, I'm not a neuro. Maybe you should go see one about your headaches.
Goodluck,
Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #6 on: Apr 29th, 2004, 5:20am »

I agree. They're called cluster's because they come in clusters. Meaning you don't just get one... You get many "clustered" together, for extended periods of time.
Light and sound, while being a mild annoyance are really of no consequence with clusters. You have much more important matters to deal with than light or sound.

I'd like to be the first to congratulate you and break the good news! You do not have cluster headaches!

I know you could never possibly understand this, but everytime you have a migraine, you should pray and thank God that you are not having a cluster headache.

I know it hurts and it sucks, but believe me, it could be worse. Much worse.

You can stick around... We like friends... But we don't like letting anyone into our club that doesn't have to be.

Just like Harley Davidson says...
And you asked... Quote:
I hope someone can clarify something for me--what's the difference between a migraine and a cluster headache?

"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand..."
IP Logged

Chris
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss