Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 9:27am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « LAST NIGHT WAS REALLY BAD »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   LAST NIGHT WAS REALLY BAD
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: LAST NIGHT WAS REALLY BAD  (Read 384 times)
Carolann
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

LAST NIGHT WAS REALLY BAD
« on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 3:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am having trouble keeping up a brave front.  This is week 13.  Last night (2am), I had a killer headache.  I'm exhausted.

I have an appointment with a neuro tomorrow morning.  My primary care physcian has given up.

I am so afraid of taking any triptaphan meds because I had a horrible reaction the one time I took it for migraines years ago.  I felt like I was drowning.  The doc at the time said "Don't take it again!"

I am taking melatonin at night.  I have been on Atenolol for years (migraines) and the pharmacist said I must taper off it.

I have read alot on this msg board about verapamil.  Can I start taking this drug and Atenolol?

Are there any abortive meds other than triptaphans?

Thank you all for the help you have given me,
Carolann

IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: LAST NIGHT WAS REALLY BAD
« Reply #1 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 4:12pm »

Other abortives with a good track record: Ergomar and Zyprexa. (Print this out and take to your doc.)

1: Headache 2001 Sep;41(Cool:813-6  

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. The initial olanzapine dose was 5 mg, and the dose was increased to 10 mg if there was no pain relief. The dosage was decreased to 2.5 mg if the 5-mg dose was effective but caused adverse effects. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. It alleviates pain quickly and has a consistent response across multiple treated attacks. It appears to work in both episodic and chronic cluster headache.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2004, 4:13pm by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
thomas

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 4:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How much melatonin are you taking?
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 4:40pm »

Aside from Thomas's question on the amount of Melatonin you are taking.....

Have you successfully gotten off the vicodin???

I sure hope so.......those type drugs do little for CH.

PF vibes,

Jean

IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 5:08pm »

Just goes to show that what works for some - won't work for others.

Dr. Todd Rozen also tried Olanzapine (Zyprexa) on me and it did NOTHING. Glad it worked for the others though.

I think i've got Dr. Rozen stumped !

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
Carolann
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 9:27pm »

Thomas, I am taking 300 mcg. a night.

I am down to two vicodin a day.

Thanks guys,
Carolann
IP Logged
andy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:19pm »

Why is it that all these docs push the meds so much?
oxygen should be the first treatment for CH. Its cheap, its safe, and IT WORKS for most

Thats all i got to say about it

............andy
IP Logged
maylaw
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jun 3rd, 2004, 2:30pm »

Hi Carolann,

I totally know your pain and just want to support you. Don't be give up. I have been suffering from Cluster Heaache for 25 yrs. Now,my Cluster Headache is coming every 2 years. I have been tried a Chinese medicine for the past 10 yrs.  It helped me to skip 2 times suffering. Another words, I suffered from Cluster headache was only 3 times for the past 10 yrs.  To skip the suffering from the headache, we must take the medincine at the right time (*just right before Cluster Headache coming). Hope this experience can help you!
IP Logged
FZfan
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Not Insane

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 3rd, 2004, 5:31pm »

Quote:
I have been tried a Chinese medicine for the past 10 yrs.

Ancient Chinese secret?
IP Logged

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it. - FZ
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 4th, 2004, 2:51am »

Carolann sorry to hear your having a tough time, I hope you find support and help here to ease the suffering in the meantime PF vibes to you.

Maylaw any chance you might share this wonder drug's name with us..?  

Cathy

IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

maylaw
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Jun 4th, 2004, 1:31pm »

Hi All,

Firstly, I highly recommend you should consult a chinese medicine doctor to give you a right remedy. As diferent patient might have diferent agree of needs.  My experience is When should I take these medician is very very important. I must take  medicine  before the headache is coming. If you have a bit symptom you should take. If your headache is confirmed coming , it might be too late to stop the pain.
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #11 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 10:08pm »

Howdy Carolann!   How have things been going since your visit to the neuro?  What has he done for you?  I must agree with the previous replies.  The pain killers are no way to go.  They can even cause more pain in the form of rebound headaches.  If you haven't already  read all there is from here and the OUCH site, I suggest you do that.  The links on the left contain excellent info.

Here is a link to check up on drug interactions.  I always double check when the docs give me new meds and ask questions if there seems to be a problem.

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/ChooseDrugs/1,4109,,00.html

To maylaw:, one of the things we do here is share the things that have worked and the things that have not to build up a sort of database of known treatments and to try to keep from re-inventing the wheel as it were.  Could you perhaps share with us the thing that worked so well for you?  It may greatly help someone else here.

Gator
IP Logged
Bytor
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Jul 15th, 2005, 2:53am »

Hello all, I could only wish i could get a 2 year break, I am a cronic CH sufferer, And Carolann , Gator is right , Everything that i have read say that narcotics will only make CHs worst and i am proff of that, It usally makes it so bad for me i end up vomiting.
 What worked for me before i was diagonsed was ibuprofen (like 1200 mg) and beg for mercy for 45min to an hour. Now that i am knowing what is going on i am on verapimil on a daily bases which has made life liveable again(not perfect but much much better) As far as something for a pill to take on the onset of a CH attack Imitrex, Zomig & relpax (triptans) have worked for me 95% of the time.  
Triptaphans are actully a chemical that is found in many foods ( which i am searching out a list for ) like red wine , dairy, some nuts and many many more.
 I am  or was a extra curicular smoker ( marijuana Roll Eyes  Shocked )and i have found that it will increase my frequince of my headaches esspecialy if acompanied with dairy. (marijuana increases exspands your blood vesals)
 There is a website that has me quite in intregued its called clusterbusters.com, wont tell you what it is about i'll let you make your own dissition, some real good info here.

Even though I'm afraid to go to bed tonight, I will and i beleave that there is something out there that can help us, Stay BRAVE
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2005, 3:01am by Bytor » IP Logged

Bytor
Don't fear your family because you chose them long before your birth
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 15th, 2005, 8:35am »

Hi Carolann, sorry to hear you're having such a hard time.

Oxygen is what most of us use to abort. 8 liters per minute and up, with a non-rebreather mask. There is an Oxygen link on the left, print it out and bring to your neuro appt. DO NOT LEAVE HIS OFFICE WITHOUT A SCRIPT FOR O2!

I believe Vicadin triggered my current cycle. I had back surgery and took it for 4 days, and that's when my cycle started. I don't know what you are taking it for, but I have since been switched to Celebrex.

PF days to you.
Jose
IP Logged
SteCo
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Jul 15th, 2005, 2:23pm »

Hi Carolann,
Tried the vicodins myself (twice) in an attempt to grap a full nights sleep. Got the sleep okay...but the payback (rebounds) were horrible. I will never try that one again.

As others have mentioned already....take a serious look at O2, works wonders for many for an abort. If you have the vics still in your system, it may not work too well (for me anyway), but once out....the O2 worked GREAT!!
Look at this link.....pay attention to all of the particulars like the high flow regulator and mask.....both very important to make it work for ya.  
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
Insist on a O2 script before leaving the docs office. Then do some reading on the site for further remedies to pursue.  
Good Luck!!
SteCo
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss