Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 3:40am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « new member »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: new member  (Read 302 times)
patinpain
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« on: Jul 14th, 2005, 9:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi!  I'm new to this site.  I have been getting CH for 35 years.  I have episodes not chronic.  I am just beginning a cycle.  Last episode was the winter of 2001 I THOUGHT THEY WERE GONE FOR GOOD.  I am going through menopause and for some strange reason I always figured that would somehow put an end to the episodes.  They usually last about 3 months.  The older I get I often wonder if I will have the strength to endure another episode.  I start tomorrow on 50mg of Predisone a day for 10 days and also verampamil.  I picked up my oxygen today.  Hopefully this will not be a long episode.
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14th, 2005, 10:04pm »

Looks like you're gathering some good troops for the  battle.  Lets hope its a short battle and the final one.

Best wishes - and welcome abord.

Tom    

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15th, 2005, 12:49am »

Welcome Pat

. . . . and hope this is a short cycle for you.

Thirty five years . . .  damn!  Mine started  in 1/01, I believe as the result of a head injury . . .  was a basket case when my dear wife found this site 2/02.  

How long have you been using 02 to abort?  It often seems difficult to get doctors to prescribe (I had to get loud and DEMAND it . . . with  printed material from this site in hand)

Be Safe,    PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Topical
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15th, 2005, 4:59am »

Welcome to the boards patinpain.I am sorry to hear about the relapse after 3 years.  

I hate to see them come around. The pain comes back and it is instantly recognizable. "Not again!" I hope it goes easy for you this time and is the last time you will have to go through it. Take care.
IP Logged
patinpain
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15th, 2005, 7:22am »

Thank all of you for your kind words.  I am glad I found this site.  It helps to know that there are other people that know what you are dealing with.  Prior to this I have never spoken with anyone that had CH.  Does anyone know if there is any research that has gone into a cause or cure?
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15th, 2005, 8:31am »

Hi Pat, welcome. It looks like you're well informed on meds and treatments, so all we can say is we hope the cycle is the shortest ever. The only thing I didn't see on your list was the trex. I carry it around in case I get hit during the day when I have no O2 with me.

I too had my last episode in winter 2001, and went three years pain free. My current cycle startedin April, I'm in the 11th week....

PFDANs to you.
Jose
IP Logged
patinpain
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jul 15th, 2005, 5:00pm »

Jose-when you say trex is that imitrex?  And if so what dosage do you take and does it give you any relief?  That is always a concern of mine, during my episodes is going out and not being near my 02.
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2005, 5:01pm by patinpain » IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15th, 2005, 5:37pm »

on Jul 15th, 2005, 7:22am, patinpain wrote:
Does anyone know if there is any research that has gone into a cause or cure?

As less than 1% of the population reportedly suffers from this condition.  Causes and cures seem to be receiving little attention.  Some research seems to indicate that our hypothalamus' - located deep in the brain are involved.  

Quote:
Abnormal function of the hypothalamus
Cluster attacks typically occur with clock-like regularity during a 24-hour day. The cycle of cluster periods often follow the seasons of the year. These patterns suggest that the body's biological clock is involved. In humans, the biological clock is located in the hypothalamus, which lies deep in the center of the brain. Among the many functions of the hypothalamus is control of the sleep-wake cycle and other internal rhythms.

Abnormalities of the hypothalamus may explain the timing and cyclical nature of cluster headache. Studies have detected increased activity in the hypothalamus during the course of a cluster headache. This activity isn't seen in people with other headaches such as migraine.

Studies also indicate that people have abnormal levels of certain hormones, including melatonin and testosterone, during cluster periods. These hormonal changes are believed to be due to a problem with the hypothalamus. Other studies reveal that participants with cluster headache have a larger hypothalamus, compared with that of participants who don't have this headache. But it remains unknown what causes these abnormalities in the first place. Quote:

I've included a few links for you to obtain additional information.  

http://health.allrefer.com/health/cluster-headaches-hypothalamus.html

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00487.html

http://adam.about.com/reports/000099_2.htm

Meds. currently being prescribed (preventative and abortive) were primarily developed to treat other conditions.  They appear to work for some but not for all and may even work once during a cycle but not during the next cycle - Med. adjustments are an on-going task and they do provide relief for most sufferers.

Surgical solutions have not been proven effective.  
In Europe they have been moving forward with Clinical Trails for surgical solutions.  Deep brain implants and various nerve blocking surgeries.  - most are so new that final clinical results have not been published yet.

In the U.S. there is very little that I can find being done to address this condition via surgeries.  There doesn't appear to be enough money in it.  Nerve blocking surgeries have been performed in the U.S.  but these have been somewhat failure prone and also appear to lacking solid long-term success rates.  

I still have a lot of research to do on potential surgical solutions.  

There is also a variety of alternative treatments and meds. and you can find a lot of good information regarding these on the site.

Hope some of this helps - obviously there's a long way to go before causes, treatments and cures become more specific to this condition.

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #8 on: Jul 15th, 2005, 6:02pm »

Hi Pat,  We are probably in the same age range, and I have found that my episodes are showing up a little farther apart now.  They showed up like clockwork-same time every year for at least 20 years, but my last three episodes have been every other year.  So maybe there is some hope that at least the frequency will decrease.  But even with more time in between, there is no problem recognizing the beast as soon as he reappears. Sad

Patti
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss