Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 5:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New with Imitrex Question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New with Imitrex Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New with Imitrex Question  (Read 317 times)
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

New with Imitrex Question
« on: Jun 16th, 2004, 7:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First, I'd like to say "Thank You"!  More than anything, I no longer feel so lonely, and I now have solid info I can give my family (who love me but have no way of really understanding what this is like yet).  

I'm just winding down (I think) my third episode.  The first was like 6 weeks of a kip 3-4 shadow - a brief horrible pain in my temple and behind my left eye, then lingering, dull pain for 6-7 weeks and eye droop ... neuro workup completed without diagnosis.  5 pf years go by and a true episode began.  My smart GP gives me Imitrex injects and sends me again to neuro.  This time diagnosis made & episode shortened with Verap - Imitrex for aborting.  Unfortunately, neuro didn't explain that CH tend to come back and that I should wean off Verap eventually!

Anyway .... when my last episode finished, I had about 6 auto syringes of Imitrex left (which I threw away because I had NO IDEA that these would come back!)

Four years pass and here they come again!  Because I was never taken off the Verap last time, I'm now up to taking 480mg/day and once again aborting w/ imitrex.  After 3 weeks of the increased Verap, I feel like the episode is resolving - have gone to 2 CH/day down to 1/every other with only mild shadows in between.

My question .... If I'm truly winding down, I'm going to have Imitrex left over.  If my clusters continue to occur only every 4-5 years, it will be VERY expired by the time I need it again.  Can you use expired Imitrex?  Will it get stronger, weaker, or kill me if I use it several years after the expiration date?  If so, is there some method of getting it to someone else who might need it before it goes bad?  Considering the cost, I sure hope someone has an answer.  

Thanks for being there for me!
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

Re: New with Imitrex Question
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16th, 2004, 7:25pm »

Jesus pleez us!

You threw WHAT away!? Shocked

Yes, it's still good after the exp date...
Yes, there are ways to help people, but they shouldn't really be discussed in public like this.

There is a private message system on this board that comes in handy....

If you don't want to keep it, I'd suggest reading around here and finding people who are suffering the most and perhaps send them a friendly PM.

What goes around comes around. Wink
IP Logged

Chris
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 16th, 2004, 7:32pm »

I've used plenty of OLD Imitrex injections. Doc says it may lose some of it's stength after it gets old, but I never could tell a difference. Just don't heat it up to extreme temps or freeze it and you'll be fine !!

Unsolved < Has used MASSIVE amounts of Imitrex and still does ! >
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16th, 2004, 8:13pm »

OK Superpain - I'm sorry!  There's a reason the word "new" shows up after my name.  

Thanks for answering.
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16th, 2004, 8:36pm »

Hi Kris,

I've read where some people have used imitrex stat dose injections a couple of years beyond the expiration date.  You might want to keep a few around in case your cycle pattern changes.  I continously obtain new ones for storage.  I have "properly" disposed of MANY boxes over the past year.  My clusterbuddies have told me how to do this.  The stat dose imitrex cost around $125.00 for a box of two.

Happy to hear that you're going into remission.

Regards,

John
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 18th, 2004, 9:56am »

on Jun 16th, 2004, 8:13pm, Kris_in_SJ wrote:
OK Superpain - I'm sorry!  There's a reason the word "new" shows up after my name.  

Thanks for answering.  

He's only answering like that because for many folks imitrex is almost impossible to get in a realistic quantity as well as they are phenomenally expensive.  Don't take it personal.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss