Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 5:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 1st post...I have a stubborn husband »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   1st post...I have a stubborn husband
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1st post...I have a stubborn husband  (Read 864 times)
helpinthehub
New Board Newbie
USA 

1st post...I have a stubborn husband
« on: Feb 15th, 2004, 9:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, I've come accross this site after years of my husband being stubborn and refusing to go to the doctor.  Since 99, he has suffered from what I believe to be cluster headaches.  He exhibits all the signs.  The problem is, he is EXTREMELY stubborn and will not see a "real doctor".  You see, he has spent 23 years in the military, and is under the impression a Corpsman or Flight Surgeon knows everything.  He stopped in to the flight surgeon once, told him about the headaches, stuffed nostril, and watery eyes and was given Claritin and sent on his merry way  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

I can't stand waking up in the middle of the night and watching him go through this any longer.  So, I'm hoping this website will help me to convince him to see a "real doctor" (no offense to Corpsman OR flight surgeons, you guys are great).  

I'm glad I found this site.  Now, if I can only get my stubborn (but sweet) husband to take a look at it.
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

Re: 1st post...I have a stubborn husband
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15th, 2004, 11:50am »

That's a tough road set forth for you.  In addition to wanting to see a doc, he has to be willing to participate in what the doc is advocating.  This site helps in that area in that it allows us a place to ask folks who have been there, what works and what doesn't.  Then, we will know if the doc is full of shit or not.

I can fully relate...I waited about 7 years to see a doc about my HAs.  There is no easy answer.  I'd bet that if you got him to read a few of these posts, you will probably find that he would be much more willing to see a doc.

Good luck!

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
justasound
New Board Junior
USA 

justasound76   dreamradial
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15th, 2004, 12:40pm »

I don't blame him about not wanting to see a doc.  I think they suck.  Maybe you could read about the O2 info in the column to the left.  

At any rate tell him to drag his candy ass over to this site and learn for himself.  Or he can drop and give me 50.

lee
IP Logged

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15th, 2004, 2:19pm »

I have to agree with Chris......He has to want a solution and be willing to do whatever it takes to get the answers.

We are not doctors.....but the info we share with each other is priceless.  Because we are all different, the same meds may not work for all.  But the sharing of the info at least gives us an idea of things to discuss with our doc.

You will find no other place that will give you the support and help with med ideas that this site will.

Suppose the first thing you need to do is try and get him to come here.  Usually someone here 24/7.  

Sorry your hubby suffers.......hope he gets the help and meds he needs to fight the beast.

Let us know how he is doing.

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15th, 2004, 3:12pm »

lovely, a "Superman" among mere mortals....

Well, I would like to believe that if it hurts bad enough he'd go see a doctor. Claritin? heh.......might as well give up on that idea.
  I have to agree, with what the others have said. this is the best place for information on cluster headaches and the best place for support as well.

To the Husband:
 Sir, I have never been in the military, so I will not even begin to try and understand that. I DO, however, suffer from Cluster Headaches and know a great deal more than I care to know sometimes. It is unfortunate that your "stubborness" (your wife said it first) is going to keep you from getting proper diagnosis and treatment. As you well know nothing in life is easy and dealing with finding a treatment for CH isn't either. In fact its a bitch.
  Basic facts are this: FEW doctors especially military ones (from the experience of others here)  know much about CH. Military treatment for just about anything is generally a patch em up or make em well enough for duty operation (not to say that military doctors are worthless, never that) What I'm saying is, that the options are limited as it is and it is going to come down to personal logistics. Does it hurt bad enough to keep you from being the best soldier possible? and if so....Why would you not seek the best possible help even from the outside?
 For all I know having CH could get you discharged medically and you would lose everything you have worked so hard to achieve I really don't know for sure,(doubtfull though there are people here with son's and daughters currently serving who suffer this) there are no garantees in life or CH. I emplore you to at least find out and seek help. There is no shame in that, afterall isnt the military based on a team concept? Isn't that what the drills and wargames are all about? Team effort to achieve a common goal? So is this site!  
  Would the Generals send you to battle without a plan of some sort? No. everything is planned out in great detail (even if you aren't privy to that info) and all contingencies are accounted for to the best of their intelligence. So it is with CH as well.

well ma'am I don't know what else to say, he's gotta want it to stop before he'll do anything. We can only persuade.

Ramon
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
jonny

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15th, 2004, 7:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well fucking said, Ramon!!!!!

...................................jonny
IP Logged
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16th, 2004, 12:43pm »

I can not say enough good about the corpsman who dragged my sorry Marine ass out of the mud, the Docs who pulled a shit load of shrapnel out of me. Reset my bones and patched some rather large holes in my hide that I acquired.
That being said. CH blew right by them. Drag your butt to Sick Bay and ask to see a Neuro.
Trust me on this one. Been there. Surfed it.

TTFN                                                          

PS: If you don't, you are guilty of violating the UCMJ. Willfull misuse of and or destruction of government property Grin
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2004, 1:09pm by Kirk » IP Logged

Sean_C

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16th, 2004, 2:57pm »

Dear Help,

I agree with Ramon......the thing I can't understand is why this man would want to suffer needlessly is beyond me.

Sounds like he's Irish..... Grin Grin Grin

Best of Luck if thats the case.....Irish men have very selective hearing Grin Grin

Wishing him PFDAN

Sean Patrick _ _ _ _ _ _
IP Logged
Ronin
New Board Newbie
Canada 

17952993 17952993    

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16th, 2004, 4:03pm »

I was in the Canadian Forces when my CH’s first came banging (1990). I went to the Medical Doctor’s many times throughout the years and was told the same thing from these self-important, indifferent SOB’s. “You have sinus headaches - here’s some Sudafed”. Well, I thought that was the problem, and the cure as my CH’s went away after about 20 minutes - at that time. Little did I know that was the cycle I happened to be going through at that time. In retrospect, they would have gone away even w/o the pills in about 20 mins.

To make a long story short, I got out of the forces and went to see a family doctor. He referred me to a Neurologist. Within 5 mins into the visit with the Neuro, he diagnosed me with CH’s. - classic, textbook, cluster headaches.  That’s when the proper treatment finally started to happen.

Your husband should get the proper diagnoses while he is still in the forces so it will be documented on his Medical documents. This way the forces will not be able to say in the future that he didn’t have that condition while he was a serving member. I don’t know if this will help him in the future, but it won’t hurt.

This board has been a godsend for me. I can’t say enough how it has helped me to just see that I wasn’t alone. As the other members have said before me, get him to see this board ANY WAY YOU CAN. It has the most valuable, and up to the minute information on these ‘bullets to the brain’ I have ever come across.

I wish you and your husband all the best in the future.

Ronin
IP Logged

May those who love us , love us
For those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if he doesn't turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles,
So we will know them by their limping.
helpinthehub
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Feb 16th, 2004, 4:44pm »

I want to thank ALL of you for your kind words, kick in the pants, and great advice.  I may have finally gotten through to him, and in part was because he finally read some of these posts.  After 23 years in, he thinks the cure for everything is "Vitamin M (Motrin that they prescribe for EVERYTHING) but it just doesn't work in this case.  He is starting to realize that now.

We may have a chance to see a civilian doctor because where we are stationed is hours away from the nearest military treament facility.  So, as long as he can get a referral, he should be able to see a non military neuroligist.  He's not so scared about being discharged since he already rates retirement now.  I think it's more of the Marine in him rearing it's stubborn, musclebound head.  I also brought up the point about getting it taken care of while he's still in, so one, it will be paid for, and two, it will be well documented for a disability rating.  He sustained a head injury in 98 (no, I didn't do it LOL) and I'm hoping these two aren't related.  If they are, at least it will all be documented as it has happened while he was in the military.  Not that I really care about that at all, I just want to see him painfree, or at least have the pain tempered.  

I don't know how you guys do it.  I thought vertigo was bad, ugh, but CH makes that look like a walk in the park.  Keep it up, you guys have motivated me to REALLY motivate my husband.

P.S.  Lee, my husband doesn't take orders anymore...he gives them.  So, on his behalf, Get back in your own gridsquare and give me 100! laugh

Thanks again for everything, you are WONDERFUL!
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 16th, 2004, 5:07pm »

on Feb 16th, 2004, 4:44pm, helpinthehub wrote:
We may have a chance to see a civilian doctor because where we are stationed is hours away from the nearest military treament facility.  So, as long as he can get a referral, he should be able to see a non military neuroligist.  

I live right on top of a military hospital!  (well, not literally)   Grin

Do not settle until he gets referred to a neuro!  PM me if you have any troubles getting the referral.

Good luck!

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 16th, 2004, 5:25pm »

Thats one for the family guys, now lets find Ramon a job Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Wishing PFDAN to all

Sean
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 8:50pm »

Welcome aboard and I think a lot of us understand the reluctance in seeing a doctor for this horror. The thing is: A neurological exam is painless but frankly boring. Nonetheless, you can no doubt get some relief. Here are two links that may be helpful; the first being to a technique that worked for me:    

http://www.netsync.net/~charlies/

This next one is to a letter written by a fellow cluster headache sufferer that is the best of its kind to help explain these attacks to families, friends and employers. Its author encourages copying. It’s well worth it.  

[url]"http://www.ouch-uk.org/ch/note_colleagues.cfm" [/url]

Let us know how you're getting along.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
justasound
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 18th, 2004, 7:53pm »

Quote:
P.S.  Lee, my husband doesn't take orders anymore...he gives them.  So, on his behalf, Get back in your own gridsquare and give me 100!

SIR YES SIR, SORRY SIR!
IP Logged

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
justasound
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 18th, 2004, 8:03pm »

Wait a minute, I'm not a Marine......  Oh well, i could use the excercize.
IP Logged

PUCKMAN
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 18th, 2004, 9:10pm »

You are so blessed to have found this place when you did.  It took 12 years for my wife to convince me that these ha's weren't allergies.  I hope he follows through and visits the doc.  It won't cure them but at least he might get some relief.  

hang around here these people are amazing.  I just found this place myself.
IP Logged

PUCKMAN
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19th, 2004, 1:26am »

on Feb 16th, 2004, 4:44pm, helpinthehub wrote:

P.S.  Lee, my husband doesn't take orders anymore...he gives them.  So, on his behalf, Get back in your own gridsquare and give me 100!

EVERYONE has someone over him!!!  ESPECIALLY in the military! (Unless his middle initial happens to be Dubya?)

Shoot, does he want this old fart Swabby to come and clean his clock?  Git yer slimey grunt ass to the NEURO! Heehee!

Welcome aboard, and get him to read more here, and start posting on his own.  We will tell him what-for!

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 19th, 2004, 1:13pm »

We all wish that there was an easy and curall for everyone.  He does need to get in ASAP and get this figured out. He has to be willing to talk tot he doc about what is happeneing and what it feels like.  All military men (oh hell all menin general) seem to have a predisposision to saying that somethign does not hurt as bad as it does. That they are somehow a stronger man if they hide it. The only way that the doc can really help him is if he is honest not only with himself but the doc. I wish you the best of luck. My hubby is ex ARMY. and there are times when I want to kick his grunt ass up one side and down the other for not seeing the doc when he should.  

Tiannia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 20th, 2004, 6:31pm »

Welcome!

Maybe Elaine could have a word with him...she is near Atlanta.  And I am sure she would give him an ear full!!!

Let us know if we can do anything for you.

Hang in there.

Big Hugs....Little Deb
Raleigh, NC
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 20th, 2004, 6:37pm »

Print all of the information here and tape it to yourself, then stand in front of him and make him read it!!!!!

Good luck with him!

Paige
IP Logged
helpinthehub
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #20 on: Jun 6th, 2004, 2:28pm »

Hey guys, I FINALLY got him to the doctor, JUST THIS WEEK.  Yep, it's been since February that I have been bugging him, but this last cycle got so bad he finally broke down and went to the doc.  It was an easy diagnosis because I've been keeping track of every headache he has had, and once you see it on paper, there is no denying that something is wrong.

The doc gave him Amitriptyline which for the past few nights has worked (except when he drank a beer last night).  We'll see how it works from here.

I know this is late, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #21 on: Jun 6th, 2004, 4:10pm »

I am sorry for your husbands pain ( and the pain it causes you) But just like with anything he will have to look at this site and see what he thinks and also be ready to get the help.  

Good Luck to you both!!

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
don

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 2:30pm »

Alcohol is probably the number one trigger for most sufferers. Got to lay off the suds for awhile.

Except for those damn chronic types who probably just have bad meeeegraines anyhoot.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2004, 2:31pm by don » IP Logged
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 2:42pm »

Having clusterheadaches and NOT WANTING to see a doctor. ??? That whole thing sounds fishy to me ... toughguy or not !

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #24 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 4:43pm »

on Feb 19th, 2004, 1:13pm, Tiannia wrote:
...All military men (oh hell all menin general) seem to have a predisposision to saying that somethign does not hurt as bad as it does. That they are somehow a stronger man if they hide it. ... My hubby is ex ARMY. and there are times when I want to kick his grunt ass up one side and down the other for not seeing the doc when he should.  

Tiannia

I understand exactly what you mean, my wife (who is ex-military, also) is pretty hard headed about going to the doctor, too.  And speaking as one of those tough guy types, I also understand his side of it.  Men are (or at least were when I was in training to be one) taught from an early age to tough it out and don't cry or complain about a little pain - no matter how much that "little" might be.  The military just re-inforces (or used to) that all the more.

I never met a doctor yet that was worth his weight in Spam, military or civilian.   The comment earlier about "Vitamin M  a.k.a.  Motrin" rings solidly true.  I think every ache or pain I ever had while I was in the service was treated with motrin.  You get tired of being told there's nothing wrong with you or we can't find anything wrong with you.  That's all I heard in 13 years of seeing various military and civilian docs and about all I've heard since then as well.

When I returned to my unit in Japan after busting up my ankle during maneuvers in Korea, there was nothing wrong. Angry  When I hurt my back chasing an escaped mental patient in Japan, there was nothing wrong.  Angry When I started gaining weight so fast it didn't seem humanly possible even though I was on a diet and  running every day and working out 5+ days a week, there was nothing wrong.  Angry When I had chest pains that I thought would be the end of me, there was nothing wrong.  Angry When my head felt like it was being cleaved, there was nothing wrong. Angry  Exams, X-rays, CT Scans, Thyroid function tests, Angiograms, MRIs - nothing has ever been found to be wrong with me. Angry

Sound a little jaded and skeptical of the medical profession?  You bet.

That being said, I am glad  you finally got your husband to go to the doctor, helpinthehub.  Sometimes it takes awhile and you may have to change doctors a few times, but once you find one that knows, stick with him or her.  I finally got a doc that at least knows what CH is and is trying to treat it.  I've had some progress and some setbacks, but we are still trying.  One of these days we may even find something that stops these pains permanently.  I wish pain free days and nights for you and your hubby.

Gator
Nuthin' wrong with me

PS: Oh, and this is a good place to vent your frustrations to people who listen to you and try to understand.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss