Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 9:16am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hello »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hello
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello  (Read 409 times)
Darkmatter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hello
« on: Feb 18th, 2005, 1:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

As I sit here in pain I'm also happy to have found this site, but not entirely sure it applies to me.  I'm 35 and I've been suffering from headaches probably since I was a teenager, but over the last few years they've been getting worse.

Here are some of my symptoms.

Headaches mostly start when I wake up in the morning, sometimes as early as 5am, but as late as 7:30am depending on how late I went to bed the night before.  I wake up and I feel something there, ususally on one side, but not debilitating.  Within 5 minutes I realize that it's gonna be bad so I usually go for the Excedrin right away.  The pain is generally localized behind an eye, usually on the left side but sometimes on the right.  Reegardless, the pain then irradiates from the eye to the entire side of the head all teh way to the neck, stiffening it .  My ear is also affected and I feel trememndous pressure behind the eye and temple... I could take a drill to it and pinpoint the exact spots needing relief.  My neck is weak and moving around like on a bobblehead, my eye lid is droopy and the pain, although affecting the entire side, likes to throw in some extra doses like lightining strikes in certain spots, every few seconds.

This morning I woke up at 7:15am with the headache and took Excedrin, but it did nothing.  Sometimes though Excedrin works wonders and fast, but other times it doesn't do squat.  I always go to work regardless, I've never stayed home from a headache.  I feel that my heartrate increases overall and my breathing intensifies as well, having to take deep breathes often.  I've had a cold the last couple of days so I can't attribute any stuffyness to the problem.  I don't pace, I only feel the need to sit there and deal with it.  Sometimes I get a little nauseous but it is brief and could be attributed to only having Excedrin and coffee in my stomach, that can't be good LOL.

I'll go  two to three weeks without headaches and then BAM, everyday or every other day for a week or two.

It is truly debilitating in the sense that I cannot concentrate sometimes and it destroys your day completely.  Usually by early afternoon the headache is gone, as if lunch helped it, but I'm not sure.  I have had it happen where they start right around 10am or 11am and through lunch only to dissipate in the late afternoon.

Hopefully one of you can tell me if indeed I've got cluster headaches.  I've been procrastinating going to the doctor about it, but I can't wait any longer and I ned to take care of this.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Vince
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 1:08pm »

Welcome Vince...sorry you're in pain. Yes...you should go to the dr. and get a definive diagnosis. You need to know what the problem is before you can get the help you need. None of us are drs so we can't tell you what you have. I'm sure others will be along with their opinions, though. While you are here, print info that applies to you and other info that may help you and your dr figure things out. Pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 2:10pm »

Hi Vince,
I am so sorry to hear about your pain... Sad
It's a good idea to see a neuro to find out for sure whether you have ch or not. But in the meantime, do this quiz:
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/quiz.html
it can give you more info about the HA you've got.

Best wishes,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 12:28am »

Ditto the above Vince . . . you really need a correct diagnosis.

You mentioned you tend to sit and deal with it and that you don't pace.  For most clusterheads, that's not possible past a KIP 4-6 (see KIP scale  - six down on the left).  It's not a choice, you have to "dance".

Other symtoms you mention do sound like CH . . . or possible other vascular type headache.  Very possible someone here has experience with a similar type headache that could help point you and your doctor in the right direction.  Most here try not to comment on something they don't have personal experience with.

Do take the quiz . . . and let us know how you do.

PFDANs,

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 8:43pm »

Ditto to Richard.  You really need a proper diagnosis.  All of us are different, and we aren't doctors.  Take the quiz to the left.  Read the medical info also and print it out for the doc you are going to make an appointment with tomorrow!

The fact is that caffiene is often helpful for low-level clusters, which sufferers often call "shadows."  Excedrin has caffiene. When combined with a strong coffee, it probably does help if your headaches are vascular.

Also - start a headache diary or journal.  Note the time, duration, intensity, what helps or doesn't, etc., and take that to the doc as well.

Until you're properly diagnosed, you can't receive proper treatment.  

Many Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
cat14

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 6:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Vince,
Everyone is different, I don't bang my head or dance. I just sit and rock. So you don't have to pace the floors, like I said everyone is different. 02 works great for most people but not I either, I have to use trex.  

So see your Doctor and make sure he understands cluster because alot for Doctors don't.

Then come here and see what we have to help and what works for YOU.
IP Logged
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 9:40pm »

on Feb 18th, 2005, 1:02pm, Darkmatter wrote:

Hopefully one of you can tell me if indeed I've got cluster headaches.  I've been procrastinating going to the doctor about it, but I can't wait any longer and I ned to take care of this.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Vince

Vince - First, I'm sorry you're in pain!!  I'll echo what many others have said here.  You should first go to a doctor  and get a definative diagnosis.  I, like you, procrasinated about 18 years with the CH condition before finally biting the bullet and going to a doctor.  I used the excedrine and Mt. Dew or Coffee thing as well.  I was "officially" diagnosed about a month ago and have since been given some Prescription meds to help with the problem -- I only wish I had went to the doctor before I did  confusedas I have seen a marked improvement  !!

Take Care and I wish you many PF Days and Nights!

Tony
IP Logged
Darkmatter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 10:55pm »

on Feb 20th, 2005, 12:28am, RichardN wrote:
Ditto the above Vince . . . you really need a correct diagnosis.

You mentioned you tend to sit and deal with it and that you don't pace.  For most clusterheads, that's not possible past a KIP 4-6 (see KIP scale  - six down on the left).  It's not a choice, you have to "dance".

Other symtoms you mention do sound like CH . . . or possible other vascular type headache.  Very possible someone here has experience with a similar type headache that could help point you and your doctor in the right direction.  Most here try not to comment on something they don't have personal experience with.

Do take the quiz . . . and let us know how you do.

PFDANs,

Richard

I took the quiz and 1-8 were all No, 9-16 I got 3 No (9, 15, 16).  The whole KIP scale is too vague but I don't think I'm getting past 4.  The only thing I do repeatedly is rub on the area of my head that hurts, pressing on it constantly, definitely can't be totally still, but never "pace."  It always feels like the pain "moves" from one area to another, yet is constant in one specific place, usually behind/above an eye.  Who knows, could just be a perpetual sinus infection, for which I'd be greatful.  Yes, I know I need to see a doctor and a full physical is past due in my case so I'll definitely be asking.

An aquaintance of mine is very involved in headache research through UCLA's Neurology dept.  Once I've got a diagnosis I'll ask him to tell me more about cluster headaches and if they've studied them specifically.  Perhaps there's useful info there.

I haven't had an episode since a couple of days since my first post so I'm kieeping my fingers crossed, yet I know they will be back.

Thanks for your insight and advice.
IP Logged
Darkmatter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26th, 2005, 3:08pm »

Spoke too soon damnit... Sad  Feel like a bobblehead!  Do some of you experience "holding of breath" when you are in pain?  I find myself not breathing right at all and catching myself having to take deep breaths all the time.
IP Logged
jokrs2
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Eventually He will make us pain free!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 27th, 2005, 4:47pm »

Hey Darkmatter BTW does your ID name have anything to do with the prog band I.Q.? As for the remembering to breathe. I have a big problem with it, but along with being a clusterhead I am also a complete basketcase because of a severe brain trauma injury as a child. Wishing you the best. Now take a big deep breath.  Wink
Blessings, Joe
IP Logged

Given strength, courage & a sound mind!
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27th, 2005, 7:28pm »

Darkmatter

Suggest you go to the OUCH website and have a read around about the different headache types in the research section (OUCh website drop down menu, far left) which have strong similarities with CH as your symptoms seem on the face of it to suggest other headache culprits as being as, if not more, likely.
This may give you some more ideas of what to ask your doctor when they progress the diagnosis.

A good start is:

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/general/ch_general.htm

Wendy
IP Logged
jennybaby
New Board Newbie
USA 

"He without sin cast the first stone".

jennyfoofoo33  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 11:14am »

HI, just wanted to let you know I hold my breath too.Thank God for my oxygen.I have got to the point of passing out. My doc also let me know not to fall asleep with it on because I use the highest dose.I guess you could really stop breathing if your body thinks it has enough oxygen.I have fallen asleep plenty of times accidentally and I am still here.although it feels as if my heart has weakend over the years.oxygen really helps me out in soothing me and keeping me somewhat calm.As hard as it is just rememer to breath slowly and try to stay as calm as you can.Hopefully you are not diagnosed with CH.I will pray for you. Wink         P.S Welcome to the family anyway.I thank God every day that I found this place. Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

And the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from all faces;Isaiah 25:8
Darkmatter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 1:19pm »

on Mar 27th, 2005, 4:47pm, jokrs2 wrote:
Hey Darkmatter BTW does your ID name have anything to do with the prog band I.Q.? As for the remembering to breathe. I have a big problem with it, but along with being a clusterhead I am also a complete basketcase because of a severe brain trauma injury as a child. Wishing you the best. Now take a big deep breath.  Wink
Blessings, Joe

Hey jokr,

No, not related to that band, but coincidentally I am in a prog metal band called Prototype.  Check us out at www.prototypeonline.com

Haven't posted here in a while and since my last post, I've been to the doctor for a full checkup and they prescribed Nasonex and Midrin for the headaches.  I really can't tell if the the Mirdrin works or if the pain just goes away on its own... I'll have to pay closer attention to the time spans.

IP Logged
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #13 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 5:05pm »

Smiley
Just keep that journal, and it will help ya.

best of luck!

TJ
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
Kiwiinoz58
New Board Junior
Australia 

Couldn't ya just SCREAM

39601840 39601840   kiwiinoz57  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 6:39pm »

When I first went to the doc I was given doses of antibiotics cos it was assumed I had sinus infections. Now of course I know that it is part of CH for me. Each time I get a CH I'd swear my sinuses are on fire and I appear to have a very bad cold. This is just to show you that differebt parts of the face can be affected.
Cheers,
Jacqs(Kiwi)
IP Logged

We are here for a good time not a long time. Time then to think outside the square and to give and get the best possibles of love and life.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss