Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 13th, 2024, 7:38pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi, kinda new here »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi, kinda new here
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi, kinda new here  (Read 249 times)
IamAngel
New Board Newbie
USA 

People are like a box of chocolates~~Han nibal

Hi, kinda new here
« on: Jun 26th, 2005, 3:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been around the site a bit, pretty much being a "lurker" reading up on Clusters and others posts about their experiences. I'm now coming into my second set of clusters since being diagnosed, although I've been a sufferer since I was 16 (I am now 2 8). I have been through so much B.S. trying to find out what was actually "wrong" with me. Thankfully a couple of yrs ago I found a doctor and done some research of my own and finally have an answer. For the most part, my other doctors kept centering my headaches around having my babies and hormones, etc, etc....well when the childbearing was over, my headaches weren't, so I kept fishing until my new doc said YOU HAVE CLUSTER HEADACHES. Thank God, an answer! I thought I was going crazy. At least now I know what I'm dealing with. I take Imitrex shots, prednisone, Percocet for breakthrough pain, but sparingly because I do NOT like using narcotics, I prefer trying to get by on Excedrin. I just started another round of clusters last week. They usually go away for 2 yrs then back again for about a month...and so on..... So you'l probabley be seeing more of me in the weeks to come. I am glad I found a place where people actually KNOW what I am going through.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2005, 3:29am by IamAngel » IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Hi, kinda new here
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 3:15am »

Hi Angel. Welcome and I'm sorry you're here. You'll find a bunch of info and a lot of support here. Here is a link to an article on CH meds:

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

Percocet and Excedrin probably won't help much and in fact, may make things worse. Have you tried oxygen? Look over on the left at the Oxygen info link. Talk to your dr about it, it's done wonders for many of us. If you've already been lurking, you may have seen some alternative treatment threads on the Medications board. Unfortunately, not all meds work for all of us. Some of us (like me) didn't find much relief on them. I found that kudzu works the best for me so far.  
kudzu info:
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1110584362
So, stick around, read, ask questions.... keep us posted. Pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
IamAngel
New Board Newbie
USA 

People are like a box of chocolates~~Han nibal

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 3:26am »

I will read up on the oxygen, and will mention it to my doc. He seems to be very interested in other types of treatments. As for the other meds, I am sure you are right. I have read up on the "rebound headaches" that they cause. I am not sure if the pills are actually even working for me at all, I just get in the most intense part of the headache and start grabbing for anything to make it go away. I have rode them out and it does seem that they go away on their own without the pain meds (percocet and excedrin) in about the same amount of time. I don't know what I would do without my Imitrex though, it seems to be my life saver.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 3:32am »

Imitrex is very effective for most who've tried it. I can't use it.  Sad  I forgot to mention 2 important things.
Oxygen: must be high flow (10-15 lpm) pure oxygen used with a non rebreather mask.
Kudzu: pay special attention to potential meds interactions should you decide to try it. It is not recommended that it be used while using Imitrex or other triptans.  
It's good that you have a dr that is willing to work with you. Good luck and PF wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 10:46am »

on Jun 26th, 2005, 3:06am, IamAngel wrote:
I take Imitrex shots, prednisone, Percocet for breakthrough pain, but sparingly because I do NOT like using narcotics, I prefer trying to get by on Excedrin.

Welcome, unfortunately we do know what you are going through.

From experience narcotics and Excedrin to treat active headaches was of little value.  Before any of it takes effect most CHs have run their course.  Look around the site for abortive meds. (such as O2 and Imitrex) and for preventative meds. to control you CHs (such as prednisone).

It is important to not get frustrated if a certain treatment or med. doesn't work for you.  This is common and you need to keep working with your neurologist or doc. to find a mix of treatments/meds. that you repond to.  

Good luck on your journey.

Tom    
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss