Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 8:02pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « An Oklahoma Newbie »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   An Oklahoma Newbie
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: An Oklahoma Newbie  (Read 238 times)
MCH
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

An Oklahoma Newbie
« on: Jul 27th, 2005, 4:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just thought I'd drop a post to tell everyone, Hey!

I found this site today after doing some research on Clusters.

I had my first outbreak in July 99.  Coincidentally, it was right around my wedding date... Grin.  

I was convinced that I was experiencing migraines brought on by all the stress.  

The first outbreak lasted through the honeymoon and on into August.  From there on out, they hit me at around the same time year in, year out.

I was diagnosed with Clusters two years ago after a trip to the emergency room.  I'm fairly good at hiding pain and forgetting about it, it just so happened that I was experiencing an attack while passing a hospital during a particulary hot day.

I have yet to try Imitrex, but so far, nothing has helped.  My doc had me on Topamax for a while to prevent them, but that didn't work.  The only thing that seems to help, is time.

I have noticed some things recently:  intense reading will bring on an attack(just got Harry Potter's new one and can't even finish it... Cheesy), milk products make mine worse and will also bring on an attack.

My attacks are normally around 11:00 at night.  They will wake me up and I'll sneak into the living room to keep from waking my wife and children.  My schedule goes through several changes.  My first attack will be light and a week of no pain will follow.  Then they will hit every night at the same time.  Then they will return every third night.  Currently, the schedule has gone to the dogs though, and I have no clue when my next one is going to be.  I had one at work yesterday at 2:00 and then awoke at 4 this morning with another.

My attacks will last 3 hours at times, but the pain in my skull usually only lasts an hour or so.  Once my pain leaves my temple/eye area, I can function somewhat normally.

I normally hit Pain Level 6 or 7.  This year 3 attacks have been Level 9's.

My doc says mine are triggered by my sinus'.  My nose has been broken 5 times and currently I have a deviated septum with barely any breathing space in my right nostril, which is the side the clusters hit.

Well, I guess that's enough about me... Grin
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: An Oklahoma Newbie
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 4:24pm »

Hello MCH Welcome to the board, I'm very sorry you had to come looking for us. Read up about the Oxygen - that is my favourite abortive, its just brilliant and it isn't shoving more meds into your body all the time.
I haven't got all the links to hand but someone will be along in a minute I expect with some really helpful pages for you.
I'm sorry this is brief but I just wanted to welcome you and let you know we will watch out for you and help too
Let us know how you're getting on okay?
Helen
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2005, 4:25pm by LeLimey » IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 4:59pm »

Welcom abord MCH

There's quite a bit of good treatment information available and folks who can point you in the right direction.  

Sorry you had to drop in.

Have you been diagonsed with CH by your Doc.?

Have you had all the brain/head pics. done to rule out other physical causes?

Good luck finding relief.

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 6:24pm »

Ditto, and welcome. How are you able to hide pain when hit with a Kip level 9?!? Most of use need to jump and dance and bang our heads against a wall..

Limey is right on with the Oxygen. It's by far the favorite abortive for most. Topamax is a preventative, not an abortive, you so you need to find something that helps. Trex and O2 is what most of us use, but most of us prefer the oxygen as it is cheaper and harmless.

If you feel the attack coming on, you may want to try a strong dose of caffeine. Cold coffee, chugged hard and fast, works wonders for me. When the attacks come at night, it's too late, I wake up well into it.

Also, stay away from alcohol. It is a trigger for the majority of us here.

Good luck and pf wishes.
Jose
IP Logged
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 7:51pm »

Welcome MCH, sorry to see you here. As an abortive O2 and Imitrex are hard to beat. On the left you will find enough info on O2 to print out and give to your Doc. Imitrex Stat Dose injections will stop a CH in no time flat, but the stuff is expensive and can have bad side effects. In 36 years I've never found anything better than those two. But I'm no doctor. Take the quiz to the left and see if you can get a referal to a good neurologist. Print out everything you need from the column on the left and take it to your Doc and the Neuro. OK study time RTFM and get some  help.

smokinLinux rulz
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 8:31pm »

Hiya  

This is a great resource to know like the back of your hand...print it out and give it to your doc  

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  

It will present the appropriate treatments that you should seek and your doctor should know!!!  

If you want an abortive with the least amount of danger/side-effects O2 should not only be requested but demanded from your doctor!!!  
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm  

I have recently been using Zyprexa as an abortive and have found it to work (for me) as fast as Imitrex and without the "hangover"

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1120904753

If you do have the "typical" wake you up in the middle of the night horrors then.... Melatonin might be very helpful  
Many of us (myself included) have found that taking 6-9mg (some take more) about a 1/2 hour to 45minutes prior to bed have Knocked out the night visits and can finally get sleep.  

With the exception of 10-12 times.....I have slept through the night since August '04 (went chronic in March 05).....Still get hit during the day but my overall quality of life is better because I am not as exhausted all the time.  

Some people report that it seems to make them worse....The fact is that we are all different and respond differently to everything therefore it may or may not...  

The one thing I will tell you as far as my experience was that I had to stick with it...The first night I took melatonin, I was awoken with a doozy only I was too groggy to find my O2 .....It got a lot better for me....I then slept through the night but would get slammed about 1/2 hour after waking up....kinda like knocking the beast off schedule.....then again I was peaking and this cycle has been all over the place with no real pattern.  
I stayed with melatonin and have had decent sleep overall.  

It may help and it is natural with not too many sideeffects....also ask your doctor b/c if there are any side effects or contraindications...I think they have to do with mild depression.....  

Like I said we are all different.  

Best wishes, good luck & stay as positive as you can!!!!  

Eric  

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 8:52pm »

Welcome to the family MCH.

Eric is right on with the links you should follow for appropriate treatment.  Read them, memorize them and give them to your doc.  The Future Drugs article saved my life last cycle.

You also might want to start a headache diary.  In it, note the times of day (or night) attacks start and end, what you take and how it works, how intense they are, etc.  Take this with you to the doc also.  

Best of luck.  Keep posting.  PF Wishes,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
MCH
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 9:47pm »

Thanks for all the info guys.

Let me try and answer a few questions.

I didn't mean to say I was good at "hiding" pain literally.  I just didn't complain when I wasn't experiencing it.  I'd convince myself that being in pain, even excruciating pain, for an hour a day/night, wasn't the worst thing that could happen to me.

Over time, however, I got a little smarter and decided to get help.

Back in 2001, I believe, I was given all kinds of tests.  My CTscan came back fine and I believe that's what finally made my doc diagnose CH.

He gave me a drug called Topamax that basically just postponed my attacks.  Instead of 11 at night, I was getting them at 7 in the morning or 3 in the evening.  Plus topamax really wore me out.  I lost almost 25 pounds in a month, eyes stayed bloodshot, and cottonmouth all the time.

Well, I better get off here before reading too much triggers another.

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 9:57pm »

Welcome ab......damn forgot what I was gonna say...still recovering from Topamax since February laugh

Just kidding....

Good to have another bud!!!

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss