Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 3:45pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I think I found where I belong!! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I think I found where I belong!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I think I found where I belong!!  (Read 411 times)
chockey
New Board Newbie
USA 

My body seems to be striking against me!

OzTransferHelp
WWW Email

I think I found where I belong!!
« on: Aug 1st, 2005, 10:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For the last few weeks I have been plagued by these "new" pains in my head. I was trying normal pain killers, then I tried Sinus medicine but nothing seemed to lessen the pain. My fiance suffers from migraines so she thought I was having migraines. I went to the doctor and got Imitrex but even that didn't seem to do much good. I was having these headaches once a night and they would last about an hour, but they were excruciating. I began to worry over the last few days that there is something seriously wrong with me. I went back to my doctor and he gave me a calcium channel blocker to try and prevent them. I began to take the pills but they were still occuring so I stopped. Today, I decided to post a question on WebMD about these headaches and the R.N. told me they sounded like "cluster headaches." I did a little research and after reading the symptoms, I know that this is what I suffer from. I did a little more research and found this website and I'm glad I did. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there suffering from these pains.  
I feel lucky because some people seem to be hit by these 1-8 times a day and I've been fortunate enough to only have 1 a night (knocking on wood)!  
I do have some questions: (1) Is there any permanent damage caused by these headaches? (2) Are there any serious causes for these headaches, like a tumor or something? and most importantly (3) How do I make them go away!?  
I'mn so glad I've found a home...thank you!!!

Chris in Utica, NY
IP Logged
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

Re: I think I found where I belong!!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 11:14pm »

Hi Chris,
Sorry you had to find us, Cluster Headaches are something that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.  You said the Doctor gave you Imitrex, what kind was it?, pills, nasal spray or injections?  If you're taking the pill form it probably isn't going to work fast enough to abort an attack before it is over, nasal spray is faster, and injections are even faster, and is the #1 choice for use in Clusters.  Clacium channel blockers like verapamil are often prescribed to prevent Clusters, and some have had good luck with them, so keep trying.  To try to answer your questions, 1. There is no evidence I've seen or heard of that Cluster Headaches cause permanant damage, except maybe from banging your head on the wall during an attack.  2. If they are Clusters, they are caused by your hypothalmus being out of whack (for a lack of better terms and a shorter explanation)  Your doctor is the only one who can rule out other causes for the headaches you're having.  3. It all depends, do you want to make them go away when they're happeneing, or try to make them go away for good?  Treatment falls into 2 categories, abortives and preventatives.  Abortives are for when you are in the midst of an attack, like Imitrex and oxygen, preventatives seek to stop the attacks from happening in the first place, like calcium channel blockers and lithium.  You can find alot of info on the boards concerning all these, the best advice I can give is to look around and gather some info, there is lots of it here.  In the mean time keep trying the Imitrex and CCBs and ask your doctor about oxygen, check out this link for more info: http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
Like I said, look around the board, you'll find tons of info, and most of all, people who understand what you're going through, someone is always around, so if you need anything or have any questions, give a  
shout.  Best of luck.
Ben
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 11:34pm »

Hi Chris. Glad you found us, but sorry you had to. I think the first thing you should do is make an appointment with your dr. In the meantime, keep a headache diary. Record the time of day, duration, intensity of any headaches. Ben gave you really good advice. Look at the oxygen link. Look here for CH medications and print both links to take to your dr appointment.
http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

Learn all you can in the meantime. Information is your best weapon. Keep us posted, OK?
pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 7:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey Chris! Looks like you've already gotten some good advice. Now it's your turn to read, read, read!

wave

PF Wishes
UNsolved
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 7:37pm »

Even if it sounds like CH get some scans done to rule out potential physical causes.  Get to a neuro. and provide detailed information regarding your attacks and be prepared with information from the site or other sources and mark where your symptoms match up to this disease.  Become a headache record keeper for reference during visits with the neuro.  

1) CH reportedly casues no permanent damage even though it feels like its causing major damage.  Sleep deprivation and the disorders it can cause is another story that is not highlighted enough.

2) No there are no serious causes and these should be ruled out during testing/diagnosis.  It appears we have enlarged Hypothalamus' but no one is sure why or how this may cause CH

3) CH is typically a life long affliction.  Episodic sufferers go through cycles of active CHs and periods where symptoms dissapear some are chronic and CHs are always active.

Read and learn
Good luck on your journey

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss