Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 10:18pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « headaches? please help me if you can. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   headaches? please help me if you can.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: headaches? please help me if you can.  (Read 383 times)
denae
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

headaches? please help me if you can.
« on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 2:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi out there.  I am 28 years old and have had headaches for the last 7 years.  I'm not sure they are cluster headaches, but don't know where else to turn.  My doctor has diagnosed them as migraines.  I am on Zomig.  This works for me but is rather expensive, so I try to only take it when I can't stand it any longer.  I also sufer some side effects after taking it, and have trouble performing normal duties as a single parent, so instead of simply medicating myself more aand more, I'd rather find the cause and cure.  Over the course of the last 7 years I have had numerous eye tests, CT scans, spend tons of money on herbal treatments, taken specific vitamin combinations, etc.  I am currently spending a small fortune on a chiropractor who is certain he can "cure" me, only to have found little to no result after 2 months of treatment.  
Many times my headaches begin as sinus pressure. I have spent a lot of time logging them and can relate them to weather patterns ( I tend to get them more when the pressure changes in the atmosphere).  The sinus pressure increases and eventually settles behind my right eye (always my right eye).  Usually my left nostril is clogged and I have trouble breathing at this point.  I sometimes also get nauseated.  These headaches usually last about 2 days.  
I understand that this is probably too long of a message, but if anyone has any ideas or can direct me to any help, I cannot tell you how much I would appreciate it.  Thank you so much for y9our time.
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2005, 2:15am by denae » IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: headaches? please help me if you can.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 3:57am »

G'day Denae, and it's certainly not too long a message.  Welcome aboard, and you're in the right place to find what you obviously need most - information.

Have you taken the Cluster Quiz on the left?  Give that a try straightaway and see how you go. There's many, many types of headaches and it's important you get it right.

We're not doctors here.  We don't diagnose, we don't treat or prescribe.  What we can do, though, is help you all along the way and we'll do it happily.

Stay in touch, ask all the questions you like, and take very good care care of yourself.  Good luck with the quiz and get straight back to us with results.  We'll take it from there.

Kindest regards,

Brian.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
don

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 5:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Doesn't sound like clusters but whatever they are it sounds like you've invested in all the wrong treatments.

I would find another Doc for another opinion.
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 8:45am »

I was thinking possible clusters until the nausia/lasts two days thing.  

I think you should really push to get a second opinion - maybe go to a headache clinic.  It sounds like you're keeping a good journal so that will be helpful.  Look around there's a wealth of information on the site that may be helpful as well.  

I have never understood the chiropractor thing, particularly for Headaches but to each their own.

Good luck on your journey

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 9:41am »

Our collective experience plus the word from some leading headache docs says that a large number of doctors do not have the experience/skill to handle complex hedache problems. That means your first step would be to locate a doc with experience/knowledge. Even many neurologists lack skills. It's important that you question a prospective doc about his experience/training, etc.

The cluster test (left) is a rough screening device but may help you.

Suggest you print this document out for your personal education and as something to share with your doc. It's the current view of treatment of cluster.

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  

If you are sure you have migraine, then print this one. Info from one of the better headache docs in the U.S.

http://www.headachedrugs.com/pdf/HA2005.pdf  
 Read all the material, even sections on migraine. Material which important to cluster folks is sometimes also common to migraine.

BUT a good diagnosis is the critical starting point!
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 8:05pm »

Hi Denae,

Sorry you are suffering so much.  Believe me, all of us here understand head pain.

From your symptoms, I would be willing to bet Migraine over Clusters.  Cluster sufferers rarely have pain beyond the 3-hour point and the stuffy nose, red, watering eye is usually on the same side as the cluster.  The 2-day nausea would be extremely rare for a cluster sufferer.  Regardless, any type of severe headache is true hell.  Read the info to the left and take the cluster quiz.

Also keep a headache diary that describes location, intensity, duration, times of day, etc.  This is very helpful to any doc trying to diagnose you.

Hang in there and learn all you can.  PF Wishes.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:35pm »

Get rid of the Chiro right off the bat. Read as much as you can on the left and let us know.
Hang in there. We're pulling for ya smokin
IP Logged

unsolved1

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 2nd, 2005, 2:08am, denae wrote:
 These headaches usually last about 2 days.

Not clusters. Find a good neuro and press for a correct diagnosis.

Goodluck
UNsolved
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss