Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 11:58pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « diagnosed yesterday »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   diagnosed yesterday
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: diagnosed yesterday  (Read 478 times)
sstelzer
New Board Newbie
USA 

diagnosed yesterday
« on: Aug 4th, 2005, 1:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone,  

Isn't technology great, that a day after being diagnosed I can be in the company of a group of experts such as yourselves!

For the last 13 days I have been having once, and now  twice daily headaches on my left side, all symptoms consistent with everything I've read about cluster headaches since I was diagnosed with this, which was yesterday. That was the first time I'd ever heard the term 'cluster headache'.  I was afraid of a brain tumor or something else, and was actually relieved the doctor wasn't just sending me home with Tylenol or something, since I'd already tried the standard painkillers.  After reading about your experiences and realizing this probably isn't going to go away, I almost wish he had said it was a brain tumor.  

I'm 34 and this is my first 'cluster,' so I really am a newbie. The doctor really didn't tell me much, just got me a prescription for 6 nasal doses of Imitrex, (and I've already used four of them)! I thought maybe this was a temporary thing, but what I've read is really scary and depressing.  

From what I have read here and elsewhere, I have a 20% chance of being chronic, after 13 days it's probably too soon to tell. It also seems that you folks are having clusters that get worse over time. It seems that in 5 years these headaches will be a lot worse than they are now in intensity, and perhaps more frequent.  I've read that the pain could get so bad that I'll become suicidal(!)  

I am getting one at around 11:30am and the other at 9:30 at night, and from my four nasal doses of Imitrex, I've figured out that so far it helps the 9:30 ones but not at all the daytime ones. At $20 per copay for six doses, it's pretty steep too. Well, it gets debilitating during the day (at work) but nowhere as bad as some of what I've read on these boards, so it only has room to get much worse over the coming years.  

Thanks for listening/reading. I hope this doesn't sound too depressed; I'm not so much depressed right now as worried.  If I'm wrong about the probably prognosis (ie. getting a lot worse over the years), please someone let me know.   Thanks again,

-Scott
IP Logged
cjc68
New Board Newbie
USA 

The beast always looses in the end!

christopherjc68  

Re: diagnosed yesterday
« Reply #1 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 2:39am »

Hello Scott! I may have a little good news for you! You are 34 right? for most of us that are episodic, our cycles will actually get farther apart ( longer remission periods) as we get older. When I was 17 and my cycles first started I would have a cycle once a year for about 2-3 months...this went on until I was about 24, then it moved to every year and half or so...ect. now I am  37 and my last remission period was about 4 years. This is not true for all of us but it is for some of us!
I also had used the initrex spray but later found out that the injections were much better, but eventually you should try other forms of treatment as the imitrex may not be as effective over time! Take Care of yourself Scott!
Chris
IP Logged
marty
New Board Old Timer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 5:00am »

Hi Scott

Sorry to hear that you are one of us.

I am episodic and usually get my cycle very two years or so - this time I am going on three years. My cycles last for 3 - 4 months. Be careful with the triptans and make sure that you do not use more than two doses per day.

I don't know what kind of insurance you have but Kaiser have a really good headache clinic in San Diego and they may have the same program in San Fransisco. There are also alternatives such as Kudzu that you may want to try (just ask your Dr first) and lots of information that you may not have had time to study yet on this web site and on clusterheadaches.org (OUCH).

Also, check out http://calouch.org which is the California chapter of OUCH.  

Marty
IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 5:34am »

Hi Scott...  

Nice too meet you, just wish it was under a different reason. I hope that you find the PF days soon.

This site has a wealth of information, the people here although most are not Dr's, gave more all the right info & questions to ask my Nero Dr...  

Best advise in the begining is to read all the tips on the left & READ, READ, READ all the other info. Hang around you might find something that helps you..

Welcome again..  

PFDAN's to YOU !!!
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 11:32am »

on Aug 4th, 2005, 1:55am, sstelzer wrote:

I've read that the pain could get so bad that I'll become suicidal(!)  

I've never been one for banning or burning any of the printed word, but wherever you read this little gem - BURN IT!
 mad

Yes these damn Ch hurt sometimes to the point where you think you might do anything just to make it stop.  BUT YOU WON'T!  Stick around this board and you will find so many people who have been suffering with this crap for years, and they are fighters!  You will be too!   Angry

So, enough of this depression - life is too short.  If it sounds like I'm mad at you, it's probably because I am right now.  But, I won't be for long.  Welcome to this group of wonderful people.

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
sstelzer
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 11:34am »

Thanks for welcoming me, and thanks, cjc68 for pointing out that it won't necessarily get worse.  I was dwelling on some of the worst case scenarios last night when I wrote my 'into' at the start of this thread.  

I am lucky, that my pain is not as bad as many others at this point, and that I happened to get diagnosed correctly by a competent physician the first time I sought medical help.  I'm also lucky there are groups like this one and OUCH that can advocate for us and support us. I can probably stay in a good mood until 11:30am or so.  It'll be my third attempt at stopping the 11:30 express with Imitrex. I'm 0-for-2 on the 11:30 so far, but at least I'm also 2-for-0 on the 9:30pm.  I'll let my doc know if this isn't working for my daytime incidents. He mentioned oxygen as a possible treatment, so I think my Kaiser Permamente doc might be a good one to stick with.
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 12:41pm »

Hi Scott, as you have probably read, imitrex is an abortive medicine aimed at aborting the attack when it comes. But it is bad for the heart.

Many of us here have great success with Oxygen. It's safer and for me at least, much cheaper. In fact, I have not taken imitrex since I found this site 2+ months ago, as I've been successful at aborting 100% of my attacks with Oxygen.

In few rare cases when I get them in the daytime, I will chug a lot of strong black coffee (cooled with ice for faster drinking) at the first possible sign of the headache coming on. I've been episodic for 23 years, so I can tell when one is about to hit me. The caffeine most of the times keeps the headache from growing and will kill them. There is a point, however, when coffee is too late and I have to go to Oxygen.

Most of us too take preventative meds, to keep headaches from coming (verapamil seems to be the one of choice) as well as a transitional med which helps while the preventative ramps up. Prednisone seems to be one used widely here for that.

Go back to your doc and get a script for O2 and tell him you want preventative treatments. Read the link on the left on Oxygen. Also, find the chtherapy.pdf file posted in many places around here, and take both to your doc.

As for your suicidal comment, I agree that you should ban it from your vocabulary. I was suicidal briefly about 10 years ago, before i met my wife. Make sure you have a strong supporter, and if you don't yet, lean on us. We're here for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Jose
IP Logged
Highlander
New Board Newbie
Scotland 

« Reply #7 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 5:17pm »

Hi Scott,

Welcome to CH.com. Sorry you have to be here.  

I understand the depression side of this illness, the scary daunting feelings you get when you read the horror stories. the amount of pain your in. But you are in the right place. Other CH'rs are the most welcoming and supporting people I have ever met. The collective knowledge on this site is totally amazing. and you will always get your questions answered and the support you need.  

Hang in there the first clusters are the worst (as they are new to you!) Keep posting

Scott
IP Logged
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 10:32pm »

Hi ya Scott smokin
After 36 years of these littles darlings 5 of them chronic. I have found O2 to be the most consistent abortive, if used correctly. The Stat Dose Imitrex works like a champ, but comes with a heavy load of side effects.
Verapamil and Lithium seem to be the most consistent preventatives.
Read up and take what ya need to the Doc. Please keeps us informed, or just drop in.

Welcome aboard smokin
IP Logged

bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 2:06pm »

Hello there! Sorry about the diagnosis. But you are with friends here. There is tons of information here. Most of the people here know more than most doctors, when it comes to clusters. And yes, they do hurt really bad. I have told my husband on many occasions to put me out of my misery! Find a good doc. One that will listen. And go there full of information. Good luck to you!

Brandi
IP Logged
sassy_lady
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sassyladysassy  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 7:17pm »

Hello Scott,
Nice to meet you, sorry for this reason though, I'm a supporter of a CH'er, & I know have you feel, I was depressed & mad at the info too, Yet I was very grateful for all the info & support, This site has made a big change in my Family, we feel human again & not alone!!
& the support here is a true Blessing!!  
Read, ask ?'s, & read.
Lots of Love & Prayers to You & Yours!!
PFDAN'S TO ALL!!
Jolene
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 8:46am »

By no account am I an expert - just a confused and frustrated suffer that keeps looking for answers.

I am truely sorry that you ended up here and pray that you do not develop chronic symptoms.  

Being your first cycle you truely have much to learn about how your nightmare will decide to live within you.
It's going to take a while to understand it.

Keep a good journal and collect informaiton that will help you works with a Doc. and identify the best methods for controlling your attacks.  

It's the support you'll get here, not expert advise (not that it's not good advise) that will be most beneficial.  The advise is just good ammo for finding and working with an expert.  

Good luck on your journey.

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #12 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 12:36pm »

Scott,

warm welcome to ch.com! Smiley

I'm glad that you've found us. Smiley
Here you can find lots of info about ch. Read and learn more about the "beast". The more you know, the easier the harder times come.

My ch started as episodic and then turned chronic. During that time I've been through feelings of depression but this brilliant lot in here helped me out - and if ch starts to get to you, let us know and we'll do all we can to help you out, too. Smiley

Welcome!

PF wishes,
Sanna Smiley
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

maffumatt

Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 10:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

there isn't much I can say to add to the other replies other than I am glad you found us, pay attention to these people they know what they are talking about. I have learned ,ore here than from any doctor.
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 9:20pm »

Hi Scott

Glad your here but sad that you have to be.

I've been episodic for 5 - 6 years but was only diagnosed just befor Christmas last year, like you I was confused and dissheartened by what I first read but after six months of reading the info and the fantastic support from this group I am now more confident of my future than ever before.

As you get further down the track you will come across people who don't or won't understand your condition, there is a great piece written by Margi ( a supporter ) it's located in the panel to the left cluster traits
print it and give it to your close family and friends, its the most informative plain simple piece of info to explain where we are at and is a lot simpler than struggling through by yourself.

Read-read and read again there is just so much info here to help and they are not all horror stories.

!Oh and this lot have a wicked sense of humor!

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 2:36am »

Welcome Scott,

Try not to get too overwhelmed by the whole CH thing. You'll learn more here than it would take a lifetime of figuring out how to live with the Beast. There is no doubt these things hurt like hell.... you will survive. Glad you found a doc right away to get you started and glad you found us.

Episodic 27 yrs. for me. Went through years of trial and error as most others here have learning the tricks of the trade. One thing for sure, if you drink, you'll learn fast to quit when in cycle. Alcohol is a trigger for most of us. Just about everything else varies from person to person. Check into getting 02 right away.

Good luck and PF vibes heading your way.
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #16 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 6:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
after 13 days it's probably too soon to tell.

Fraid so. You have another 352 days to go to see if your chronic.

You need not even think about that thougth. Your mission now is to find effective treatment.
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #17 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 9:09am »

on Aug 4th, 2005, 12:41pm, marlinsfan wrote:
Many of us here have great success with Oxygen.  

Most of us too take preventative meds, to keep headaches from coming  

Go back to your doc and get a script for O2 and tell him you want preventative treatments. Jose

If CH diagnosed, get started on a preventative search that works for you, otherwise, a script for trex as much as you would need it wouldn't be a realistic expectation from a doc.  Oxygen is great at home and save the trex, if it will work, for on the job.  
  Remember doctors can alway adjust or change prevents, if it's not effective let him know.  I got my trex script upped to more per month during the prevent search, tell the doc they don't stop coming on their own, and they come several times a day, that simply is Ch, and it has important consequences with sleep and job as well as PAIN.  
  Get prevents, add oxygen or if necessary, hunt for a CH experienced doc.  Otherwise there are alternatives on the meds board here too.  

Icepacks with the nasal spray help.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2005, 9:11am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss