Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 3:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Newbie »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newbie  (Read 345 times)
alfenner
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« on: Aug 16th, 2005, 11:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all!  I'm, unfortunately, new to the cluster world.  I had my first cluster period in February that lasted about a month, and here I am back again.  

I am married with two wonderful preschool age children.  

Although I haven't been "officially" diagnosed, I spoke with the neurologist after the last cluster in Feb and he confirmed that this is what it is.  I am heading to the dr on Friday to hopefully get some meds or something!

I'm so glad this place exists, most people have no clue what these are all about!

Thanks!
Amy
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 11:28pm »

Welcome Amy

Tell us more about yourself and your attacks.  How'd you do on the cluster quiz.
   You'll want to go to the doc armed with all the info you can glean from this site . . . and there's LOT'S.
    I use 02 as abortive and URGE you to get a script for same, no matter what other abortives (triptans) he/she may prescribe.  Proper mask (non-rebreather) and regulator (15 lpm) is essential to kill the beast in minutes.
    Read up on kudzu and Melatonin (both OTC)
     You have much reading to do, and I'm sure E-Double will be along to post some important links for you to copy and take to your doc.
     Again, welcome . . . you are not alone.

Be Safe,  PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
alfenner
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 11:42pm »

The quiz was not suprising -- 1-8 were all no's and the rest yes.  

I usually have 2 a day, one in late evening (6:30 - 7) and one around 1 - 2am.  The one in the night is always worse.  They are always on my right side, with sinus drainage, and it gets puffy around that eye.  The pain often radiates down my neck and kills my ear.

It seems like O2 works for a lot of you, so I will definately be suggesting that!  My Dh is a new cop and will be going to law enforcement training in a few weeks and be gone 14 (yikes) weeks (except weekends) and I am hoping to have some sort of control or at least relief before he leaves.  I don't know if I could take care of the kiddos by myself during an attack.

Thanks so much for all the info here, I know I haven't even begun to uncover it all!

Amy
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 2:06am »

Good luck Amy with the doc and I hope you get abortives and preventatives that will help you through your cycle.

Coping with children and CH is a challenge but lots of us have done it and so can you!  So just hang in there girl and remember we are all just your pc away if you need help or support.

Welcome and PFDAN's to you! Smiley
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 9:07am »

Welcome Abord

Let's hope the formal diagnosis is something that's a little more cureable.  If its not you've certainly come to the right place.  Support and information to arm yourself for Doc. visits is readily available here.

Keep and take a headache journal with you/read and select some information to take with you as well.  It will help in working with your Doc. and getting a reliable diagnosis the first time out.

Good luck on your journey.

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 9:52am »

This is an excellent outlining of current treatment thinking. It would be a useful tool to lead your discussion with the doc.

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
paul_pero
New Board Junior
Australia 

zdrastvuyte

« Reply #6 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 8:09pm »

Hi

Sorry to see you here, but glad you found the best source of info for CHs. Read as  much as you can on the site and definatley ask demand Oxygen from your doc.  

Paul
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2005, 8:11pm by paul_pero » IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 8:03am »

Hi Amy,

Welcome!
 I'm a stay at home mom of two (6 &10 yrs old) as well as expecting a third in Dec.  
my husband travels with his job. You will be able to take care of the kids during an attack. Some moms here have a special basket of toys or a special movie they let their kids watch when they are getting hit. It might also be helpful to make a list of local people and support people you could call if you need help. It's a good idea to let them know they are on your list and what you might ask them to do...watch the kids, take you to the Dr, hold your hand Smiley

You may or may not gain control over the CH's, but you can gain confidence in dealing with them and your life! This place is great for support.  

PM me anytime if you want to chat Smiley

Be well and PF,
Rori

edit to add:  
Please let us know how your neuro appt goes.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2005, 8:05am by lionsound » IP Logged
sassy_lady
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sassyladysassy  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 10:34pm »

Hello Amy,
Sorry you are here, But You are at the right place to find info, med. tips, & support, read, read, read, & print to take to your Dr. here is where you will find the most info on CH'S, Nice to meet you!!
Lots of Love & Prayers to You & Yours!!
Jolene
PFDAN TO ALL !!
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 10:48pm »

Hello and welcome
 Hope the kids can understand, the heck with the rest. I can't imagine how scared they must be. Good luck and the kids will be a blessing as always.
BB Grin
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
alfenner
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 10:51pm »

Thanks so much for the wonderful welcome!  

I have learned so much from everyone on the boards through their posts.  I can't wait to share with my dr all that I've learned.

Hugs,
Amy
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 10:59pm »

Hi Amy,

Here are Some tricks that I used to use and sometimes still do, they might hold ya over until you get a solid regiment down:    

*Wrapping a bandana tightly around my skull (be careful)    
*Filling a sink with scaulding water creating a steam bath and placing my head over it with a towel covering    
it.    
*Going from Steam to Frigid shower.    
*Standing infront of A/C    
*Icepacks or frozen veggies on the back of the neck or eye    
*Tons of STRONG coffee.    

If you do have the "typical" wake you up in the middle of the night horrors then.... Melatonin might be very helpful    
Many of us (myself included) have found that taking 6-9mg (some take more) about a 1/2 hour to 45minutes prior to bed have Knocked out the night visits and can finally get sleep.    

With the exception of 8-10 times.....I have slept through the night since August.....Still get hit during the day but my overall quality of life is better because I am not as exhausted all the time.    

Some people report that it seems to make them worse....The fact is that we are all different and respond differently to everything therefore it may or may not...    

The one thing I will tell you as far as my experience was that I had to stick with it...The first night I took melatonin, I was awoken with a doozy only I was too groggy to find my O2 .....It got a lot better for me....I then slept through the night but would get slammed about 1/2 hour after waking up....kinda like knocking the beast off schedule.....then again I was peaking and this cycle has been all over the place with no real pattern.    
I stayed with melatonin and have had decent sleep overall.    

It may help and it is natural with not too many sideeffects....also ask your doctor b/c if there are any side effects or contraindications...I think they have to do with mild depression.....    

If not some people find Benadryl effective.    

As far as meds go....    

This is a great resource to know like the back of your hand...print it out and give it to the doc    

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf    

It will present the appropriate treatments that you should seek and your doctor should know!!!    

If you want an abortive with the least amount of side-effects O2 should not only be requested but demanded from your doctor!!!    

[url]http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm  [/url]

I have recently been using Zyprexa as an abortive and have found it to work (for me) as fast as Imitrex and without the "hangover"    

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1120904753    

Plenty to learn here and wishing you luck on your journey!  

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss