Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 30th, 2024, 5:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hello...new newbie! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hello...new newbie!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello...new newbie!  (Read 604 times)
Dannii
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hello...new newbie!
« on: Aug 14th, 2005, 11:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hello...name is Danielle, i'm 30 and have been suffereing from ch for about 6 years now...i live in Warwick in the UK and am a cardiologist and surgeon....am happily married to my wonderful husband Michael...also a surgeon....but luckily for him no ch!  

just want to say thanks in advance for this message board....it's difficult without anyone who has experienced this to talk to
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2005, 11:03am by Dannii » IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Hello...new newbie!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 11:10am »

Hi Danii, welcome home. I'm sorry you had to find us. This place is great. There's probably more CH info in this one place than you'll find anywhere else. Start reading, there's a lot to read. Oh, and, grab an oar... this boat needs all the rowers it can get.  Wink  
pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 11:29am »

Hi Dannii!
Welcome!
I don't know if you have discovered OUCH UK at all but they will be a big help to you

http://www.clusterheadaches.org.uk/home/index.cfm?address=../home/txt_we lcome.cfm&added=Dec2001&code=AD

There is also a helpline which is brilliant. Talking to another clusterhead is amazing, there is nothing like it and no one will ever understand this pain the same. 0161 2721702 It is a answerphone, you leave your name and number and one of the volunteers (who are all sufferers themselves) will call you back)

Have you tried O2? I swear by it. It works brilliantly for me and its alot kinder than Imigran!

Oh and there is a GP Info page too if its of help!
http://gpinfo.ouchuk.org/

Let us know how you are getting on okay?
Best wishes
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 12:14pm »

Great place to find!

Like Nani said we're all in the same boat.  We are here for each other and for the families of clusterheads.  Someone will always be available as most are insomniacs or on diff time lines.  You'll never feel alone with the BEAST again!

Welcome!
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 7:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Welcome to the message board Danii  Smiley

There's alot to read!

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

Pain Free Wishes~
Unsolved
IP Logged
Juan_Carlos
New Board Newbie
Chile 

Mañana no habra CH !!!!!!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 7:44pm »

Welcome aboard Danii !!!!

I´m new also, but my life changed with this forum!!!!!

Try O2 stop the pain quickly !!!!

PF wishes

Juan Carlos
IP Logged

Juan Carlos
Solo un dia sin CH.......
Smurf
New Board Junior

Together, we shall slay the dragon!

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 1:29pm »

on Aug 14th, 2005, 11:02am, Dannii wrote:
hello...name is Danielle, i'm 30 and have been suffereing from ch for about 6 years now...i live in Warwick in the UK and am a cardiologist and surgeon....am happily married to my wonderful husband Michael...also a surgeon....but luckily for him no ch!  

just want to say thanks in advance for this message board....it's difficult without anyone who has experienced this to talk to

Hi Danielle-
sorry you had to join us, but we all love the company, you know, misery and all that.  It does feel better to "talk" to folks who are all rowing the same boat!!!
Welcome!
Smurf Grin
IP Logged

It just goes to show ya...where ever you go, there you are.
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #7 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 1:43pm »

Hey Danielle,

Welcome to the hypothalamus freak festival. Sorry to hear you have a reason to be here. You'll find the conversations, support and overall community here to be both informative and, at times, entertaining.

We don't have a lot of MD/Sufferers on the boards (at least not many that'll admit it). So, I'll forewarn, many folks go through quite a bit of frustration getting a proper diagnosis, and then receiving appropriate treatments from their doctors and being a forum, there is venting that occurs regarding the medical community and CH. Some well deserved, some just "peripheral damage".

That being said, I think you'll be amazed at the info available here and the level of depth that discussions sometimes get to on treatments and coping. Join in the fray.

Best regards,

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
SusieWong
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 2:21pm »

Hi Danielle,

So sorry that you are suffering. I assume that you are an episodic sufferer?  There is not much that I can add to the good advice given. Do take a look at the links that Helen (Le Limey) has given you. The medications in the UK have different names and the support that you will get on the members board and on the help line is second to none! You will find it wonderful to be able to 'chat' to people who truely understand what you are going through.  

My husband, David, suffered for 24 years until, with the help of OUCH UK, he was prescribed effective medications. He no longer dreads the next cycle, now that he knows that he can control the attacks.  (He's not exactly looking forward to it either!)  

Wishing you  pain free days and nights (PFDAN)

Suex
IP Logged

Tomorrow is another day.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 4:27pm »

Welcome Dannii, you've come to the right place for support but we have little medical hope to offer, mostly advise on what has worked for us and the standard discuss options with your doctor line.  

Do us a favor and let some folks in the medical community know that we're not kidding when we say these nightmares are unberable.

God Bless,

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 6:55pm »

Welcome Danii.  Sorry you are here, but glad you found us.  There is a wealth of information on this board, and milleniums of experience with Ch.  Welcome to the family.

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Viking70
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 11:30pm »

Dear Danielle,

Hello.  I am also new to this website.  I am a Famiy Medicine Resident in the states and also suffer from cluster headaches.  You have obviously survived residency with CH.  I was wondering if you have any tips on how you did it?  I've been waking up with headaches nightly for the last two weeks. The night this last cluster started I was taking call from home and got paged on a patient who was crashing and had to actually call another doctor at the hospital to take care of things.  My headache was so distracting I couldn't drive.  Tomorrow I'm on call and in house and worried that I won't be able to help someone in need.  

My one ace in the hole is that there is a ready supply of oxygen in the hospital.  I'll have to start carrying around my own O2 mask I suppose...

-Erik
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 11:05pm »

Welcome to Clusterville

. . . .but sorry you had to find us.

For me, 02 as abortive . . .  can abort an attack in minutes if used at onset of attack.  I can't use triptans due to arterie blockage and high cholesterol, so 02 is my only abortive . . . wonderful!

Get as specific as you wish here, or just rant if you feel like it . . . . we're here to help each other.

Be Safe,  PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Dannii
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:07pm »

thanks for all the welcome messages...yes...i am episodic...and use o2 for abortive...i also find the TENS pain reliever works almost aswell...although takes longer to work.

seasonalboomer....thanks for forewarning!!...i don't blame people though...and thankfully im in cardiology...nothing to do with neurology!!

viking70...i have struggled in the past with this problem...although i have an advantage with my husband Michael being my registrar...if i have a bad ch episode i can send him when paged!
i find 02 is a good abortive method, so can often take my emergencies...worst one is transplants...an 8 hour transplant aving bloody ch throughout!
if you are episodic, you could try talking to your hospital  board, explaining the situation and seeing if something can be arranged with on call shifts being given to you when not having ch?? i'm assuming that your mentors/etc are aware of the ch that you suffer from? i know how you feel, and it is difficult, especially when you have your final exams/assessments etc...there isn't really anything specific you can do...just try talking to people around you...sorry i haven't got much advice!!

thanks...Dannii
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:14pm by Dannii » IP Logged
andymiller27
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

i am new to this site and need help
« Reply #14 on: Sep 3rd, 2005, 3:16pm »

i am 27 years old. have sufferd for 10 years with ch

my atackes last a lot longer than the usual case from what i have read up on. i am comeing to the end of an atack which has gone on for 7 months and for the best part of that was sick (vomit) off every single one. and i have never a great deal of time before the next attac starts. i have tryed alot of medications in the last ten years from bet blocker to aquapuncher to many for me to remeber and i am coming close to my tether.
i have told my doc thay are ch and he and she had not herd of them i told him about oxigen but he has never tryed me on it,
but i was resantly in america and went to see a doc for some realy stong pain killer becouse i was sailing back across the atlantic so icould stay on my feeton my watches.  but thay were very adictive so i am not takeing them any more thay did work thou and with in 5 min thay are could loreset that is what it said on the prescripsion but not on the bottle and i also tryed oxegen thet had some efct but not to good it relaxed me but did not get rid
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 3rd, 2005, 3:47pm »

Hi Andy,
Its nice to meet you.
Welcome! Lorcet are also known as Vicodin and are highly addictive so please do be very careful with them, there are alot of people with huge problems caused by addiction to these so I'm glad you are wary!
You say you've tried o2 and it wasn't too much help.. did you have the right set up. O2 is a quirky little beast really, you have to have it right or its not a great deal of help. You need a high flow regulator that will go up to 15lpm and a non rebreather mask for best effect.
I don't know if you have discovered OUCH UK at all but they will be a big help to you

http://www.clusterheadaches.org.uk/home/index.cfm?address=../home/txt_we lcome.cfm&added=Dec2001&code=AD

There is also a helpline which is brilliant. Talking to another clusterhead is amazing, there is nothing like it and no one will ever understand this pain the same. 0161 2721702 It is a answerphone, you leave your name and number and one of the volunteers (who are all sufferers themselves) will call you back)

Have you tried any of the triptans at all? Or any preventatives? It sounds, reading between the lines, like you haven't had alot of help to date but thats all going to change! Please tell us what you have tried so far so we can help further and have a look at OUCH UK, obviously there is a big difference between the two sites in that OUCH UK is geared towards sufferers in the UK and the med names etc are ones your GP will recognise. (Also legislation varies.. some drugs that are available to us are banned in the US and vice versa.. God knows why!) There is a support board on OUCH you can post on without being a member so you can get help and advice there from right away. Also the helpline is available to you as a non member so please use it.

Oh and there is a GP Info page too if its of help!
http://gpinfo.ouchuk.org/

Let us know how you are getting on okay?
Best wishes
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

pubgirl

Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 3rd, 2005, 9:17pm »

Welcome to all the new Brits! Hope to see you over at OUCH Uk as well!

I hate to cast thoughts of doubt here,especially as you are a surgeon Danielle but are you (Andy and Danielle) both certain of the Ch diagnosis?

I only ask because even experienced neuro's get it wrong here and both of you sound like you are describing VERY long attacks.

Dannii- did you mean you had one continuous attack that lasted the full 8 hours while you were doing transplant surgery?
I am also interested to know how long your TENS takes to clear your pain?

and Andi, you say yours are longer than normal, hwo long do they last can I ask?

Sorry to seem nosey but there are quite a few headache conditions which closely mimic Ch in symptoms and doctors often cannot differentiate between them and give the wrong treatments.

Wendy
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2005, 2:27am by pubgirl » IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 4th, 2005, 8:35pm »

Anyone out there, troglodyte or otherwise?

I mean no offence by asking questions, just conscious that for every Ch sufferer being correctly diagnosed there are many wrongly diagnosed by so-called "experts" when a simple treatment regime would solve their unilateral headache as it is a different one with some similarities.

I wish Ch on no-one and am glad of every misdiagnosed person who arrives here and gets the right treatment for the cephalalgia they DO have and am sad for but glad for every Ch sufferer who finds their way here also.

Wendy
IP Logged
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #18 on: Sep 4th, 2005, 9:14pm »

on Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:07pm, Dannii wrote:
worst one is transplants...an 8 hour transplant aving bloody ch throughout!

Try excedrin extra strength, should make it a little easier to deal with.

Sean.............................
IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #19 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 1:48am »

Welcome Danni.
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 3:29am »

Hi Dannii

Welcome, you are among good people here and they know more about what we go through than a bucket full of books ( if that makes sense ?).

Yes the beast visits Oz when not causing havoc elsewhere.

I note that you get relief by using a TENS machine, I use one myselfe as do others here, I was using the TENS before I found this site and learned about oxygen.

There's a heap of info on this site and everyone is willing to help whenever.

Kind Regards
Barry
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2005, 3:29am by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Dannii
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #21 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 1:37pm »

pubgirl...sorry, having re-read my previous post, i can see how it read...no 8 hour Ch...but a few 15-30min Ch in the 8 hour period. It took a couple of years for the Ch to be diagnosed in the first place, only when i moved to warwick did i come across an experienced enough neuro to help.
I have been using a TENS machine for a few years now...and usually find that it is effective within 5-7 mins. My favourite abortive is still o2.

« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2005, 1:38pm by Dannii » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss