Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 7:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Greetings Folks »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Greetings Folks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Greetings Folks  (Read 312 times)
snaithbert
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Greetings Folks
« on: Aug 24th, 2005, 8:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First of all I have to say how happy I am to have found this site. I already feel better just knowing that there's a community of folks out there who can relate to my headache problems, etc.

I'm new to the world of cluster headaches, but sadly I'm getting indoctrinated somewhat quickly. Before two weeks ago, I'd never felt pain as intense as the pain I feel during an attack. My cluster headaches seem to have come out of nowhere, or at least I can't figure out what I did to trigger them.  

It started kind of slowly, with a little bit of pain that I could manage with tylenol and wouldn't last long. Then about two weeks ago, on a Friday, the right side of my head began to throb at around 8 am. My right eye began watering and I started blowing my nose furiously. I was sweating and hot as hell and I felt like I was going to vomit. I was rather freaked out and couldn't figure out what was going on. I went to work, but left an hour later, because the pain was just too intense. I got home at around 11 and then amazingly, the pain began to taper off. By noon the pain was almost entirely gone. I could still feel it in the back of my head a little bit, but for the most part it was gone.

My first thought was that it was somehow allergy related, or maybe a sinus thing, etc. I bought some allergy and sinus medication, just to be on the safe side. In any case I assumed it was just an isolated incident, because it just came out of nowhere and I (foolishly) thought it would dissapear just as quickly. The next morning I was out hiking and presto- the pain came back at around 8 am. I went home and sat there, wondering what to do. I took the allergy medication, but it didn't help much. Then once again at around 11, the pain began to taper off. I can't describe how good it felt to not feel so bad. It almost made the pain worth it, because there's no better feeling than NOT feeling that pain (if that makes any sense). I was hoping (once again) that that was it, but sadly, the next morning at 8, the pain came back. And once again, it went away at around 11.

At this point I began ruling out things like tumors, because I figured a tumor wouldn't be quite so clockwise (at least I hope not). But I was still quite worried, because I'd never felt pain like that before. Monday I woke up in a terror and counted down the minutes until 8 like a prisoner on death row. But that day, the pain didn't come. And in fact, the pain didn't come back at all that week. Once again I incorrectly assumed that whatever this was, I was past it. I'd gone 5 days (thankfully weekdays, because being at work with this pain is so hard) without any headaches and I figured the whole episode was finally over. But of course I was wrong. On Saturday and Sunday, the pain came back and stuck to the same schedule. Then on Monday- it was gone again.

By now I knew that this thing wasn't going to just going to disappear the way I prayed it would. And I was right, because yesterday and today, it came back with a vengeance. And of course I had to be at work by 8 both days, so I was basically sitting here in agony trying to pretend everything was groovy, when in reality it felt like there was a tiny man in my skull, trying to work his way out with a jackhammer. After this morning's attack, I decided it was time to seek help for this thing. Sadly I just started a new job and I don't have health care yet, otherwise I probably would have gone to a doctor. But instead I decided to turn to the place where I've had a lot of other questions answered- the internet. It didn't take me long to find this site and after reading just a little bit of the medical info here, I knew I was in the right place.  

Now my plan is to dive into the site and read everything I can about cluster headaches, peruse the forums, and just gather up all the info I can. Hopefully I can find a way to combat this thing or at least lessen the pain a bit. In the meantime if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, rest assured they'd be greatly appreciated. And as I said, just knowing this site is here makes me feel better already. When one of these attacks hits, you feel like you're alone on the planet and that no one can possibly comprehend your pain. But now I see that that's not the case at all and that absolutely lifts my spirits.  

Thanks for letting me ramble on and it's great to be here.

Yours,

Noah
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2005, 8:24pm by snaithbert » IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: Greetings Folks
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24th, 2005, 8:34pm »

Welcome to the family Noah,

We aren't doctors here, but your symptoms sound pretty classic.

You have the right attitude - read, read, read, and learn.  Take what you read and learn to a qualified doc - preferably a neurologist who specializes in headaches.

I have a couple of articles that might help you.  If you'd like them, please PM me with your email addy.  These articles saved me during my last cycle.  Meantime, if you search the archives you'll probably find some totally free and very helpful home remedies for helping survive.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24th, 2005, 8:49pm »

Hi Noah..welcome Smiley
You are right ....it does sound like clusters...even still....
I understand that you don't have insurance right now, but you should try and see a doc , preferably a neurologist about this... Especially if you've never had anything like it before. Maybe you could go to the ER or a clinic or something...get a neuro check just to make sure everything's okay.

Have you had Headaches of any kind before?

Also, sometimes it takes a while to get a neuro appt so if you call now for one it is possible that your insurance will kick in before the date. You are very smart to be info gathering, that way when you get seen you are informed.  

Meanwhile, try ice or bag of frozen peas on your head. I always carry a bunch of those disposable ice packs in the car with me.  
At home you can try alternating between a hot and cold shower or hot/cold wateron your head. Which ever you prefer. Sometimes I find inhaling steam from a filled sink with a towel over my head works too.

Please let us know how you are doing.
Be well and PF!
-lionsound

IP Logged
snaithbert
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25th, 2005, 1:16am »

Thanks for the quick responses, I appreciate it.

Actually lionsound, I'm currently looking into buying my own health insurance, because I found out a little while ago that I'll probably never have insurance at my job because I work freelance. So hopefully I'll be hooked up with that soon and then I'll immediately go see a doctor, believe me.

In the meantime however I thought I'd at least look into ways to best treat my headaches. And that's how I found this site, by just surfing the web and trying to pointpoint my condition, etc. I didn't even know it had a name, I thought it was just headaches. But after reading about cluster headaches, I'm pretty sure that's what I've got. Of course I'm no doctor, but man- the symptoms line up SO perfectly.

Anyhow I really do plan to visit a doctor first chance I get, but in the meantime I'm gonna research cluster headaches and do whatever I can to try and combat these darn things. As I say, I feel better just knowing there ARE ways to fight this pain and that there's a whole community of folks who can relate to what I'm going through, etc.

As for my headache history, I've gotten a few here and there, but nothing like this. A couple of years ago I spent the summer in upstate New York and I got really terrible migraines that my mom (she's a nurse) surmised were related to the extreme humidity. I come from California, where it's nice and dry and I think 3 months in upstate New York just wreaked havock on my sinuses, etc. In any case the pain was truly awful when I'd get a migraine, but it was more of an all over my head pain and my eye didn't water or any of the other symptoms I currently have. And as soon as I left New York, I never had another headache like that again.

Beyond that, I really only get headaches when I go too long without coffee. And even that's only occasionally; sometimes I can go days without coffee and feel just fine. So I'd say my headaches were pretty normal up until now, which is why these new headaches are so surprising. Other than New York, I really have no history of headaches. I almost wish I did, because then I'd have been at least slightly prepared for the pain I'm in now. I mean New York was bad, but at least those were infrequent and didn't arrive every morning like a train at the station, etc.

Thanks for that frozen peas advice, I shall try that tomorrow. Maybe not at the office, but at home I shall wear that bag of peas like a crown. Hey, if it helps then who cares how silly I look, right?

Thanks again to both you and Kris for the input, I really appreciate it. I'm gonna lick this thing, by gum. And if I don't, then I'll just start staying up until 4 am and waking up at noon. My boss might not like that- but my head sure will.

Cheers,

Noah
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2005, 2:11am by snaithbert » IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25th, 2005, 7:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Take a look here

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/non_script_treat.htm
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #5 on: Aug 25th, 2005, 8:54pm »

on Aug 25th, 2005, 1:16am, snaithbert wrote:
Thanks for that frozen peas advice, I shall try that tomorrow. Maybe not at the office, but at home I shall wear that bag of peas like a crown. Hey, if it helps then who cares how silly I look, right?

Exactly!  You'd be pleasantly surprised to know how many of us are wearing peas exactly at this moment . Grin  ..and if the crown look doesn't work for you try on the back of your neck. Smiley

PF's!
-lionsound
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2005, 8:54pm by lionsound » IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 25th, 2005, 9:44pm »

Noah,
Welcome sorry your here, another good one is large spoons in the fridge, feels pretty soothing on the fire eyes. Lots of good info here...and the people rock.
BB
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss