Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 30th, 2024, 10:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Please forgive me... I need to unload »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Please forgive me... I need to unload
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Please forgive me... I need to unload  (Read 889 times)
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

Please forgive me... I need to unload
« on: Sep 8th, 2005, 6:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all,  this is a terrible way to introduce myself but I hope you will bear with me  Undecided  I am usually a positive person and have been reading the board for the past few weeks.  As well as the tears managing to have a good laugh, so thanks.    

Ok now to the whinge!!!  My recent cycle started middle of last month and the meds aren't working so I'm a bit beside myself.  Tuesday night was a shocker.  Having earlier that day been to see the neurologist who suggested that seeing how being pregnant had worked for me before - the only time in 15 yrs I've not suffered - perhaps I should try again !  Lips Sealed  It's 9pm and I'm having the worst ha so far (usually come when I'm asleep), an hour later jumping around, smashing my head into the wall heater, huffing and puffing, swearing and crying... finally I call an ambulance to administer some 02.  ahhh relief for a short while.  My 3yr old son is inside on his own so I go back in ... he's awake and crying.  Headache is back in a minute.  Take some pain killers on top of the topamax ? that the neuro gave me that day (also on verapamil) urgghhh I'm poisoned.  ??  End up later in emergency... and wait for it...  the nurse takes me off the 02 with "well I think you've had enough of that!" in condecending tone and "perhaps your just dehydrated"....   urghhhhhhh            

Thankfully a doctor came who was willing to do a little research...put me back on the 02   crisis over   Tongue

Getting the 02 installed at home tomorrow  Smiley

Has really helped to get that off my chest....thanks

Praying for us all  

Kate
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2005, 7:03am by Kate in Oz » IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: Please forgive me... I need to unload
« Reply #1 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 9:06am »

G'day Kate, and by any standards that's bloody awful.

It's just my personal opinion, which counts for nothing, but Rule 1 is taking over completely from the medical twits.  

Decide for yourself which medications you want and stock them all up at home.  Go doctor-shopping until you get one who'll give you what you need.  

Barry in Karatha has a beaut recipe for getting 02 at home, Jacqs is a girl and knows just how you feel.  Firebrix also has certain opinions and she's just a PM away.

Just now you're being led, and that's wrong.  It's time for you to take control.  All the info is here and you're among friends.  Our good friends Margi and Nani also have much to say about CH and pregnancy.

Either way, this is a good time to sit down, take a couple of deep breaths, and put the billy on. Then give the kids (+25%) a big fat cuddle from all of us here at ch.com.

Chin up, chest out, and it's gotta rain soon.

Cheers and beers,

Brian.

IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 9:13am »

hugKate hug

Quote:
Ok now to the whinge!!!  My recent cycle started middle of last month and the meds aren't working so I'm a bit beside myself.Been there.  What all have you tried or been on?  Tuesday night was a shocker.  Having earlier that day been to see the neurologist who suggested that seeing how being pregnant had worked for me before - the only time in 15 yrs I've not suffered - perhaps I should try again ! One question are you wanting another one at this time....If you are then good luck and I am very happy for you...Don't get me wrong I love babies and children but its just a temporary fix and then the beast comes back.   It's 9pm and I'm having the worst ha so far (usually come when I'm asleep), an hour later jumping around, smashing my head into the wall heater, huffing and puffing, swearing and crying... finally I call an ambulance to administer some 02.  ahhh relief for a short while.  My 3yr old son is inside on his own so I go back in ... he's awake and crying.  Headache is back in a minute.  Take some pain killers on top of the topamax ? that the neuro gave me that day (also on verapamil) urgghhh I'm poisoned.  ??Wow; pain killers usually don't help cluster suffers.  End up later in emergency... and wait for it...  the nurse takes me off the 02 with "well I think you've had enough of that!" in condecending tone and "perhaps your just dehydrated"....   urghhhhhhh We spend a lot of time educating the Dr. and nursing staff especially in the ER.  Haven't been there in awhile but have O2 here at home and my Imitrex.            

Thankfully a doctor came who was willing to do a little research...put me back on the 02   crisis over  What did the order read?  Many of us need O2 per nonrebreather mask at 10-15 L per min. for 15-20min  

Getting the 02 installed at home tomorrow    
Glad to hear you will have one of the abortives.

Welcome to the sight but truely wish you didn't have a reason to be here.  Glad you are though this place is wonderful...The support you get here is great and your amongst a family that understands what you  are going through...

Tons of stuff to the left to print out and take to your next Neuro visit to educate the hospital/neuro staff. Some carry a card that shows what they have been on what works and so on to show at the ER because to be honest none of us can talk much when being hit.

PFDAN to you.................Kim
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2005, 9:18am by KMT » IP Logged

aka...................................................... KimY
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #3 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 9:55pm »

Thanks so much for your replies  Smiley

No I don't want another kid, as lovely as my son is... impossible to deal with him when the beast has a hold!!  (I'm on my own)

Problem I'm having this cycle is that we moved house at the begining of the year so having to go through the whole educating the medical profession again.

Went back to new GP this morning - who has treated CH's before !! - and he's given me the script for 02 - 3-6lts per min... and its coming this afternoon    Wink  The relief is palpable.  Goodbye pain - fingers crossed.  Have tried so many different meds over the years and had so many rotten side effects ... thinking this is the best way to go and oh my topamax  yuck!!! be happy to stop that.    

Thanks again

PFDAN to you all

Kate

P.S It really was a help to get that off my chest.  This is a fantastic site.
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 1:31am »

Hi Kate
This is Barry in the nor west of WA.

Welcome to the best nut house ever, sorry you gotta be here but you are in good company and these people now more about this than any one and remember that no question is silly wev'e all had to ask sometime.

Great to see you got the o2 I wish I had known about it when I first got hit.

All the best
Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
paul_pero
New Board Junior
Australia 

zdrastvuyte

« Reply #5 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 7:09am »

Hi Kate,

Sorry to hear your pain.

Glad you getting O2. I got it this last cycle and it worked wonders for me. You say your script is for 3-6 lpm. I had to go to 8 sometimes 10 lpm to effectively kill the pain. Try and get a regulator that can go that high just incase. Also make sure you use a non rebreather mask. I used a normal one for a while, it worked but the non rebreather seemed to work better. And get a big tank, as you will want to use it as much as you can.

PFDs to you
Paul
IP Logged
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 12:54pm »

on Sep 8th, 2005, 6:59am, Kate in Oz wrote:
  Having earlier that day been to see the neurologist who suggested that seeing how being pregnant had worked for me before - the only time in 15 yrs I've not suffered - perhaps I should try again !  Lips Sealed  

Getting the 02 installed at home tomorrow  Smiley

Has really helped to get that off my chest....thanks

Praying for us all  

Kate

Welcome Kate.  Sorry you are here, but this is the best place to be.  Laughed/cried with your comment about your neuro suggesting another pregnancy.  Ask him, does HE want to raise and support the child?  If not, tell him to get his A$$ out, go back to school, and start learning something about CH.

Happy you're getting the O2.  Many people on these boards have had wonderful success with it, and I hope you do too!

Wishing you PFDAN

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
twoyeartorture
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 10:21pm »

Well young lady, you have been getting some good advice. Before I met my domestica partner, Jeff, I took every doctors word as gold.  
In the first three months of us dating, he got to experience the wonderful life of living with someone who fights the headache demon every two years.
Fortunately, he had numerous experiences with docotrs (he had baby cancer and his mother was misdiagnosed numerous times until she found someone who knew what they were doing). He took hold of evrything and demanded proper treatment. The hospital had left me sitting in the waiting room, with all the bright lights, noises, etc. He let them have it. Then when the orderly tried to take me for my CT and MRi, (thank goodness he was there), the doctor had specifically stated I was not to be taken for those tests until I received my medication.

All I can say, is if you have a close friend or family member that is willing to be your advocate when you can not speak for yourself, it is the best and safest thing to do.

Amy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss