Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 30th, 2024, 1:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Another board newbie, but longtime sufferer here »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Another board newbie, but longtime sufferer here
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Another board newbie, but longtime sufferer here  (Read 298 times)
natterj
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Another board newbie, but longtime sufferer here
« on: Sep 18th, 2005, 4:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

My name is Jack, and I first want to say thanks for this site, it really helps me to know there are others out there who know what I am going through.  I've been lurking in this site during my last few cycles and this place has been a godsend to me.  

I've been suffering from CH (episodic) since I was 17 (I'm now 42), but wasn't diagnosed until about 15 years ago.  I'm married for 15 years and have 2 daughters 12 and 9, and these 3 ladies have been a great support system for me.

I have been in remission for 2 years since this current cycle started up a couple of weeks ago - I think that's the longest I've ever gone without an attack.   I've been taking Verapamil as a preventative and imitrex as an abortive.   I don't think the verapamil does squat, at least in my dosage which seems low (240 mg) compared to what I see others are taking.   The imitrex shots are pretty much 100% effective for me in aborting headaches but of course I am limited to how much I can take per 24 hour period, not to mention the limit the insurance company puts on me (thankfully my doctor can usually give me lots of samples to make up for that).

I've used O2 in the past and it works pretty good but doesn't get them all - I'll be calling my doctor tomorrow about getting some, for in between the imitrex shots.

I have also started taking melatonin based on what I read on this site, so I can start getting some decent nights' sleep -- we'll see whether this helps in a few days I guess.  I just started taking it last night.

I'm also intrigued about kudzu.  I thought about trying it but don't want to do so without my doctors OK.   Two years ago when I was lurking here during my last cycle I don't recall any mention of it, so it definitly pays to check here to see what new stuff is being tried.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone here who has helped me get through my painful times without even knowing it, and hopefully I'll be able to do likewise.  I figure that since I've been able to take so much from here, it's time I start giving back.  

Jack
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

Re: Another board newbie, but longtime sufferer he
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 5:21pm »

Welcome, Jack.  You seem to have done a lot of reading here, and the members of this board are very helpful with questions.  So ask away if you need some opinions or just need some support.  Glad you have found this site, and I hope you continue visiting here.

Patti
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 5:22pm »

Hi Jack...  
     Its nice to meet you, sorry its under these conditions...  

Looks like you are well on your way for fighting the BEAST... The only thing I do not see a mention of is if you have tried the TREX inj tip to the left, it has saved me many times... I am only allowed a certain amount also from my insurace company, but with the tip I have made my TRX inj last alot longer...  

I do not know much about the kudzu, other than it seems that alot of people here are finding good results from it. I am thinking of trying it next cycle....

I am currently out of cycle, my cycle ended on the last of Aug... But I stick around to offer what was given to me when I first showed up here on that DARK day in JULY when I was at the end of my Rope and ready to give into the BEAST, was planning everything, even got my will updated.... So when I say this place saved my life.. I mean it....  

This site has the most information that you will ever find on CH.. and the best people in the world for a support system. If you need to Rant, Rave or just need someone to talk, the lights are on here 24/7/365..

I have made some friends here that will last a life time... and each person who recieves understands that, and you never know, you could be the one saving someone else's life, just by being there to encourage and support them the a CH cycle...  

Hope to see you around for a long time....  

God Bless & PFDAN's
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
natterj
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 7:11pm »

Thanks folks for your warm welcome.  Yeah it sucks having these things but I feel fortunate to have this place to come to.  

Yeah, I've tried the imitrex tip a couple times last cycle, and once this cycle.  Two out of 3 times, including this last time, the 1/2 shot didn't abort it and I ended up taking the whole thing anyway.  Frankly, it might have worked it I waited a little longer but I got too impatient and when it didn't abort after 5 minutes I assumed it wasn't going to.  Whole shots always abort the headache within 5 minutes.  

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try again though.  I had actually worked on trying to modify a pen to administer half a dose, but never got it to work right.  I might try to do it again though.  Frankly, I can't stand sticking that bare needle in me, but you do what you gotta do to deal with this things.
IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 5:49am »

on Sep 18th, 2005, 7:11pm, natterj wrote:

Yeah, I've tried the imitrex tip a couple times last cycle, and once this cycle.  Two out of 3 times, including this last time, the 1/2 shot didn't abort it and I ended up taking the whole thing anyway.  Frankly, it might have worked it I waited a little longer but I got too impatient and when it didn't abort after 5 minutes I assumed it wasn't going to.  Whole shots always abort the headache within 5 minutes.

With 1/3 or 1/2 or the dose, in my experience it takes about 10 minutes to kick in, but its well worth it, cause I get less of the side effects... Give it another try....Also, I know its hard but try to take deep breaths and remain calm.. keep telling yourself that this to will pass...  

on Sep 18th, 2005, 7:11pm, natterj wrote:
I guess it wouldn't hurt to try again though.  I had actually worked on trying to modify a pen to administer half a dose, but never got it to work right.  I might try to do it again though.  Frankly, I can't stand sticking that bare needle in me, but you do what you gotta do to deal with this things.

Ask your Dr about getting some Diabetic Sryinges....They are almost painless, I have a hard time feeling it go in... all you need to do is go just under the skin..into Fatty Tissue.. DO NOT INJECT INTO A MUSCLE OR VEIN...!!

Divide the stat dose vial either 1/3 or 1/2 into them, that way you have a clean Sryinge for each shot.... You can also go to a Feed Supply Store and ask for Sryinges for a diabetic Cat or Dog.... they are cheep.... I found they are exactly the same as the ones they sell in a Medical Supply Store for 1/3 the price.....

PM me if you need any info or help in doing this.. I will be glad to explain in more detail...  

GET THE O2... !!!  

It made a huge differance in the amount of TREX inj that I was using.... I saved enough money to buy my own Portable O2 setup....  

God Bless & PFDAN's
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss