Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 11:18am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I finally diagnosed myself!!! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I finally diagnosed myself!!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I finally diagnosed myself!!!  (Read 636 times)
Demeter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I finally diagnosed myself!!!
« on: Nov 20th, 2005, 7:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Firstly, hello everyone.  I am a 31 year old female.

I started getting excruciating headaches around the age of 16. The first two episodes I tried to ignore, yeah right, and didnt see my doctor.  Just chalked it up to stress, sinus or migraines.  Well, around age 21 I went to see my doctor, explained to hiim that it was right side of head, right eye gets red/swollen/watery, lasts anywhere from 30-45 min, 95% of the time happens around 1-2 hours after I have fallen asleep, cant lay down during headaches.....same ole same ole.  He treated me for sinus, then migraine, then tension and I kept calling him every couple of weeks telling him the treatments were not working.  When I explained to him the intensity of my headaches he acted as if I was exaggerating and just really didnt seem to care.  Eventually my nightly headaches stopped, so I just didnt go back for the appointment.

The next time the headaches started up, I didnt even make an appointment, in my head I must be the crazy one, so I toughed it out for a few months...pure hell, as usual.

I moved to another state when I was 26, had a small bout of headaches and again, toughed it out on my own.  Well around 28 got them again, after 2 months I could not take the pain anymore, went to the ER and got referred to a neuro, went to the appointment, told him all the symptoms, again, told me he wanted some tests done and to take over the counter medication until results were in, however he did put me on some medication for seizures until I went for an EKG and he got the results back.  He also sent me for an MRI, all results came back good.  He prescribed me migraine meds and said that I have migraines.  Medication didnt work, and at that point just felt helpless.  About 2 weeks later my headaches stopped, thank god.  

So that brings me to now, 2 1/2 years later....about a month ago I started getting these headaches again,  that dreaded first one that I cursed up and down and tried to fool myself into thinking that they werent coming back.  After a couple weeks of headaches I decided I have to do something, I know I am not crazy, I know these headaches are for real and that someone has to know what I am talking about.  Well, I got online about 3 weeks ago I typed in severe headaches into my search browser and low and f'n behold!!!!  I am not the only one, my symptoms are to a tee a cluster headache, how could none of these doctors have seen this!!!  I have now made an appt with a different neuro on Dec 1st, and I am going in there knowing my crap and not taking no for an answer Smiley And this website is like my saviour!!!  So I would like to thank everyone on here for all of the info and post's I have read the last few weeks, I knew I wasnt crazy Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2005, 7:32pm by Demeter » IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: I finally diagnosed myself!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 7:53pm »

Hi Demeter and welcome,

Be sure to explain to your neuro that you've been through all the relevant tests to rule out anything truly nasty.  Also be sure to tell him/her that migraine meds don't work.  If you haven't seen this link yet, be sure to print it, read it, and take it with you.

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

Way too many clusterheads go undiagnosed for far too long.  The latest treatments and meds are described in the link above.  Meanwhile, if you're getting your hits at night, try Melatonin (sold OTC).  9mg/night about 30 minutes before sleep may very well help - it has for many here.

Good luck and keep posting,

Kris

IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
chewy

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 8:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
migraine meds don't work.

Just a little correction. Lots of meds designated for Migraines work. Its the dosage that needs to be changed. In fact most meds that are effective for CH are off label.
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 8:19pm »

Chewy is right - I stand corrected.

For example, Imitrex pills are often very helpful for Migraines, but take too long to work for Clusters.  Verapamil is usually prescribed for high BP or heart problems, but is often very effective as a preventative for clusters.

Just a couple of examples.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
chewy

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 8:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Dont miss Kris's point though. Dont let the Doc treat you for Migraines if you have Clusters.

Two distinct conditions with distinct treatments.
IP Logged
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 8:40am »

Demeter

Wonder how many of us have similar stories?  Brilliant that you're now diagnosed and found the only place that really sorted CH out for me.  

Read and digest - O2 is a good abortive for attacks whilst 'clusterbusters' has been little short of remarkable in shifting the clusters themselves.

Very best of luck in getting a fast remission and cure
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 8:44am »

Welcome to the board Demeter. Make sure you check into the oxygen info and bring it with you to the doc, and like Kris and Chewy said, don't let them treat you for migraines, the imitrex pills don't work, go for the nasal spray or better yet the stat dose auto-injector.  Best of luck
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 12:48pm »

on Nov 20th, 2005, 7:28pm, Demeter wrote:
 I have now made an appt with a different neuro on Dec 1st, and I am going in there knowing my crap and not taking no for an answer Smiley

GO YOU !!!! Smiley

You are your own best advocate.  
If you have any questions please ask us...you've been reading a lot..excellent!  
Oxygen is key to ask for.

Let us know how you are doing.
be well and Pain Free,
lionsound

Welcome!
IP Logged
Demeter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 2:10pm »

Thank you for all your warm welcomes.  I have printed and read the literature on therapies and plan to take it with.  I dont want the doctor to feel like I think I know more then she does, but hopefully she will understand my frustration.

It was a little disheartening to find out that there is no "for sure" cure, but just the fact that I wasnt the only one in the world with these types of headaches.
IP Logged
Ghost
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Farting relieves the pressure

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 3:01pm »

Sorry you had to find us but glad you did hang in there and dont let docs push you around. You will get help even if it through the family here.  

Mike
IP Logged

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum
If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?

***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink
Ronny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Belgium 

Yabba Dabba Doo

maximus_imperius  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 5:06pm »

on Nov 21st, 2005, 8:40am, Beastfodder wrote:
Demeter

Wonder how many of us have similar stories?  

I bet there are a lot of them.

Hi Demeter, i'm glad you found this site and will get the right treatment soon.
IP Logged

Count your rainbows, not your thunderstorms.
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 25th, 2005, 5:01pm »

There are many of us that went 10 to 20 years without a proper diagnosis and were givin all the meds known to man as a try and see approach to finding something that works. So feel lucky you have all of this valuable information for your neurologist. These people rock. Hope you don't have these. If you do stick around you will find the entertainment to your liking. If nothing else works you can find laughs and support.
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
cazman
New Board Veteran
USA 

if ya dont like it take a walk

kingcazman
Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 27th, 2005, 12:47am »

welcome and im glad you found us when i found this place i broke down big time just the fact i know what is wrong with make ita bit easier to deal with as i nhope it does for you.
the peeps here are the best, we hope you stick around. just remember us when it dont hurt anymore cause thats when you can help others like we do for you , ive been pf for about 3 months and im still here to help others.
IP Logged
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #13 on: Nov 28th, 2005, 4:22am »

Hey Demeter,

Just wanted to wish you all the best for your appointment on the 1st.  I'm really glad you found the site - what a difference it makes knowing that you're not the only one hey?!  

Good luck and hoping you get some pf time real soon.

Kate
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss