Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 9:42pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Honor roll?.....Hmmmm »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Honor roll?.....Hmmmm
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Honor roll?.....Hmmmm  (Read 896 times)
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

Re: Honor roll?.....Hmmmm
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 7:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 13th, 2006, 6:41am, BarbaraD wrote:
I'm not sure when all that changed, but parents should go back and study the child raising from that era. Most of us turned out ok.

They don't need to study it...they were there, as kids.

And it seems that many of them turned out to be................. shitty parents.

I say list the ones that flunk!
The snobs will know who to keep their kids away from, and my grandkids will know who to call when there's nothing to do and they want to have some fun.

Bobw
Personally, I wish they'd ban the "my kid is on the honor role" bumper stickers.  
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #26 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 8:34pm »

Self respect was a long time coming for me but I did well in school even without the kind of feedback we try to give to kids today. Mostly, I got it from teachers and a few other adults.....I hung around with more adults than most kids, and as I think about it; I missed out on a lot of kid stuff. Dad took me all over and he had some very interesting friends.

Somehow, most kids in my generation knew better than to over test mom and dad. Heavy booms could be lowered then....not just physical either. I blame a lot of television comedies. One of my biggest gripes is that TV comedies have too many children smarter and better adjusted than the parents. They always write in the goofball dad that has to learn to do everything the hard way. Some of the worst are Ally MacBeal and Six Feet Under. The kids in those shows wouldn't last a week with me. I'd have a hard time not killing them.  

Kids see themselves on tv doing better than the old man and they mistakenly think that that's the way way the world works. It doesn't and when they discover that life isn't a sitcom, they can be so taken aback that they may make some awful if not dangerous decisions. They think mistakes can be always recitified. It ain't so.  

We need a few Ward Cleavers.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #27 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 9:20pm »

Original thinkers can often go with a slower maturation with perhaps not as good grades, the seers and rebels with intellectual independence are a necessary balance and not to be denied a place in the world either for their great and commending contributions we've learned from in our lives.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 9:45pm »

on Dec 13th, 2006, 7:48pm, Pinkfloyd wrote:
Personally, I wish they'd ban the "my kid is on the honor role" bumper stickers.  

Could that be because of the "My kid kicked the fuck out of your honor role kid".....sticker?
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #29 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 9:51pm »

on Dec 13th, 2006, 9:20pm, Kevin_M wrote:
Original thinkers can often go with a slower maturation with perhaps not as good grades...

From an article in yesterday's The Australian by Emma Tom -

Herr Brainy himself, Albert Einstein, was regarded as retarded as a child. Teachers said he would never amount to much and advised him to drop out of high school. (Fortunately, failing French and receiving crappy grades in geography and drawing didn't hinder this underachiever's later dabblings in relativistic cosmology, critical opalescence and atomic transition probabilities.)  

Actor Cary Grant and crooner Frank Sinatra were both expelled from schools (the former for loitering around the girls' dunnies and the latter for rowdy behaviour), while writer Edgar Allan Poe was chucked out of the University of West Virginia and West Point military academy for gambling debts and academic violations.  

Other acclaimed educational also-rans include novelist Leo Tolstoy (flunked uni), stateschap Winston Churchill (failed sixth grade), lightbulber Thomas Edison (regarded as too addled and stupid to learn) and gyrator Elvis Presley (received a C in music after being told he couldn't sing).  

Literary losers include Gertrude Stein, who submitted poems for more than 20 years before one was accepted; Harold Pinter, whose early work was written off as gibberish lunacy; English writer John Creasey, who received 753 rejection slips before going on to publish 564 books; and Australian author Matthew Reilly, once rejected by every significant publishing house in Sydney, now amillionaire.  

Acting newcomer Marilyn Monroe was dropped by a film company for not being attractive enough. Charles Darwin's dad once accused him of being an idiot and of caring for nothing except shooting, dogs and rat catching. The impressionist painters had to organise their own exhibitions because their work was written off as crude and reeking of revolutionary sex and violence (these are Monet's water lilies we're talking about).  

And the list goes on.  

Oscar winner Michael Caine was once told by a headmaster that he would spend his life as a labourer. The Beatles were turned down by two record companies who thought guitar bands were over. Jerry Seinfeld was booed off stage during his first appearance as a professional comic. Michael Jordan was once cut from his high school basketball team.  

IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss