Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 9:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Global warming??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Global warming???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Global warming???  (Read 1321 times)
Paul98

Email

Global warming???
« on: Dec 19th, 2006, 2:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

PC hype or natural climatic cycle?

How do you digest the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Vostok-ice-core-petit.png

http://www.agu.org/revgeophys/reid00/node2.html

Flo, I'd enjoy your take on this but all are welcome comment Grin

-P.

IP Logged
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wide open till you see God, then brake

Email

Re: Global warming???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 2:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Jonny has already solved the cause, it's the friggin cows.
IP Logged

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."
Shedz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

OUCH UK MEMBER

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 3:06pm »

More steak anyone?????????
IP Logged

I push my fingers into my eyes, It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache, But it's made of all the things I have to take, Jesus it never ends it just works its way inside, If the pain goes on, I AM gonna make it.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xps7AM8HbjE
Jimi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Who loves ya baby!

Hendrix1473  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 3:27pm »

Initially I thought PC hype. But after seeing a couple of specials and reading up on it from scientist out of the political realm, it appears to be a real phenomina.
IP Logged

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 3:32pm »

so, we start having warmer winters -- heating energy usage drops which drops the amount of CO2 suddenly and drastically -- (US energy use for heating this winter is down 25% this year alone). Then things get back on track.

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
Shedz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

OUCH UK MEMBER

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 3:36pm »

Warmer winters, yes , but more artic ice melt , Larson B ice shelf collapsed this year and the sea will continue to rise. More and more people will have to move inland as coastal regions are flooded!
IP Logged

I push my fingers into my eyes, It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache, But it's made of all the things I have to take, Jesus it never ends it just works its way inside, If the pain goes on, I AM gonna make it.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xps7AM8HbjE
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 3:43pm »

Eat more beef please
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 3:50pm »

Polar ice cap about gone by 2040. Scary stuff.
IP Logged

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 4:00pm »

on Dec 19th, 2006, 3:36pm, Shedz wrote:
Warmer winters, yes , but more artic ice melt , Larson B ice shelf collapsed this year and the sea will continue to rise. More and more people will have to move inland as coastal regions are flooded!

that's "glass half empty" thinking.... restated that is, "as new coastal regions are created."..............

by the way, ice shelves have been falling off into the ocean for millions of years....

IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 4:03pm »

So?

Mankind is so egocentric that we truly believe that this is something significant - because it might show some amount of change within our lifetime.

We're talking about geologic time here, folks. This shit happens all the time - and when I say "all the time," I ask you to step outside your own shoes and look at the globe with your geologic glasses on. Over the course of thousands and thousands of years, oceans rise and fall. Land masses come and go. It rains, then it stops raining. It heats up, then it cools down.

To believe that mankind has any significant amount of control over it is pure hogwash.

Oops, I forgot - one more thing: THE SKY IS FALLING! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Shedz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

OUCH UK MEMBER

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 4:04pm »

Living by the coast kinda affects my thinking!!! laugh
IP Logged

Donna_D.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

OUCH needs volunteers

smileyone1968@yahoo.com  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 4:06pm »

I blame heated thread discussions concerning politics/religion/immigration/global warming on public message boards.

Grin

DD
IP Logged

The information contained above is for the expressed use of fellow clusterheads and their supporters. Any misuse of this information by any of my "Ex's" is considered to be creepy and a form of harassment and will be duly noted by the ch.com webmaster Tongue
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 4:11pm »

on Dec 19th, 2006, 4:03pm, brewcrew wrote:

So?

Mankind is so egocentric that we truly believe that this is something significant - because it might show some amount of change within our lifetime.

We're talking about geologic time here, folks. This shit happens all the time - and when I say "all the time," I ask you to step outside your own shoes and look at the globe with your geologic glasses on. Over the course of thousands and thousands of years, oceans rise and fall. Land masses come and go. It rains, then it stops raining. It heats up, then it cools down.

To believe that mankind has any significant amount of control over it is pure hogwash.

Oops, I forgot - one more thing: THE SKY IS FALLING! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

I once saw a show where the gentleman, a physist, drew a very long line. The line represented earths timeline from the very first organism to us, humans as we are now only took up about a quarter inch in this entire timeline. So I'm sure there has been many, many changes in climates. When was the last iceage??? Not to long ago I believe.
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #13 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 4:16pm »

on Dec 19th, 2006, 4:06pm, Donna_D. wrote:
I blame heated thread discussions concerning politics/religion/immigration/global warming on public message boards.

Grin

DD

I blame Don.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Donna_D.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

OUCH needs volunteers

smileyone1968@yahoo.com  
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 4:19pm »

on Dec 19th, 2006, 4:16pm, brewcrew wrote:

I blame Don.

Nope.  He is responsible for Ozone depletion....

....'cause he sucks, you know.

Grin

DD
IP Logged

The information contained above is for the expressed use of fellow clusterheads and their supporters. Any misuse of this information by any of my "Ex's" is considered to be creepy and a form of harassment and will be duly noted by the ch.com webmaster Tongue
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 4:36pm »

Brutal Grin
IP Logged

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #16 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 5:20pm »

If the globe is warming I sure wish it would hurry the hell up. It's colder than Hillary's thighs here.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #17 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 5:33pm »

Paul's link, despite being from '91-'94, suggests a recent human influence.

Quote:
the climatic effects of solar variations are likely to be increasingly difficult to isolate in the future, as anthropogenic forcing becomes stronger.

Quote:
A high degree of correlation between surface temperatures and solar irradiance, or its proxies, can be expected only if solar variability has been the dominant source of climate change. This is probably not the case, especially in recent decades, when anthropogenic effects must have been making significant contributions.

Quote:
Schlesinger and Ramankutty [1992] in particular concluded that intercyclic variations in solar irradiance have probably been significant contributors, but that the dominant role has been played by increases in greenhouse gas emissions.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 5:40pm »

on Dec 19th, 2006, 5:33pm, Kevin_M wrote:
Paul's link, despite being from '91-'94, suggests a recent human influence.

Are you saying our Paul is past it?  Wink  
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #19 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 5:49pm »

on Dec 19th, 2006, 5:40pm, LeLimey wrote:
Are you saying our Paul is past it?  Wink

If you asked him for the salt or potatoes, he'd past it.
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 9:00pm »

My response to this is to pay attention to those that heatedly insist that it's BS. It's always energy companies and businesses that depend on the current systems that do the most howling.  

Oh yeah. I trust them.  Roll Eyes

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 9:02pm »

Cows!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #22 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 9:43pm »

Bull!
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 11:35pm »

Unless we control magma fields how did man do that? The ice shelf collapsed because of under sea volcanoes Don't believe all the crap the environmentalists tell you. Wait for the science to find out what is going on. What is everyone going to do if a mega volcano melts Antarctica in a months time. Better head for high ground now and don't care how much CO2 ( Not carbon which is a black powder, not a gas) you throw into the air to do it.  

Oh and by the way Ice has more volume than water that means any floating ice that melts may lower sea levels. Of course the same doesn't go for ice on land.

Paul
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #24 on: Dec 20th, 2006, 12:14am »

on Dec 19th, 2006, 11:35pm, Opus wrote:

Unless we control magma fields how did man do that?

Oh and by the way Ice has more volume than water that means any floating ice that melts may lower sea levels.  

Paul

Hell causes global warming.

Is Hell exothermic or endothermic (gives off heat or absorbs heat)?

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can therefore project that all souls will go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until "all Hell breaks loose".

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until "Hell freezes over".

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Mary Ann, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you", and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct... leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Mary Ann kept shouting "Oh my God."
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss