Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 5:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anyone here work from your home? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2007 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anyone here work from your home?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anyone here work from your home?  (Read 1291 times)
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

Anyone here work from your home?
« on: Dec 19th, 2007, 1:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I really, really need to find a job I can do from home and don't know where to start.  I do the eBay thing, but that always costs money to make money and I need something more steady.  I'm not looking to make a ton of money, maybe $100-$200 a week (or more of course, lol).  I'm just wondering how I can get my foot in the door to do some clerical work, or something of the like, without getting scammed.  I'm hoping to make enough money to buy a new camera, Photoshop and some backdrops to start my own business.

Where the heck do you find companies that hire at home workers??    

BTW, I can't do in home daycare/babysitting due to Jesse's job, I absolutely flat out refuse to do MLM, party consulting or any of that stupid crap.  I'm just looking for a legit company that I can apply to, that lets you stay home to do their work.  Oh, and no phone jobs!
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2007, 1:56pm by Melissa » IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

Re: Anyone here work from your home?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 2:08pm »

A lot of folks who enter medical records work from home. Talk to cynjeep. That's what she does. I've even heard of folks who do this that have all their "raw material" delivered to them via FedEx.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 2:17pm »

at least this info will help you weed out all the scams...
http://www.parents.com//parents/search/results.jsp?searchType=content&am p;searchString=work%20at%20home

IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 2:41pm »

Thanks Bill & Rosy. Kiss  

I need all the help I can get at this point. Embarassed
IP Logged

cynjeep89
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 3:59pm »

Mel,

As Bill mentioned, I do work from home 32 hours a week.  Management thinks we need to go into the hospital to see our co-workers 8 hours a week but we are trying to change that since we get much more work done at home.

Another reason they allowed us to work from home is because they are running out of office space.  Research buildings are popping up all over the place but now they have no where to put some of the employees.....someone's brain wasn't firing on all cylinders but it worked out well for us. Grin

I work for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) and do physician billing, coding and abstraction for about 80 physicians plus the Emergency Department billing.

All of our charts are scanned via a program called ChartMaxx and the billing is submitted via EPIC for inpatient billing and Quantim for outpatient billing so we are able to do most of our work from home.

If you were interested in getting into this line of work, I would suggest starting with a medical terminology class.  Then head into Anatomy and Physiology I and II.  Those are the two basic classes you would need to be able to start learning ICD-9-CM/CPT coding.

I would also suggest a class in hieroglyphics to enable you to read the physicians' handwriting. laugh

In order to be able to work from home, we had to have at least 5 years experience in coding, worked at CHOP for a year, had to obtain our Certified Procedural Coder Credentials and earn 36 continuing education units every 2 years to maintain our credentials or take the CPC exam again.....a fate worse than death IMHO.

Do you have any kind of accounting experience?  If so, some smaller businesses might be a good start for you to check out as a few of my friends do book keeping from home.

What about the beautiful knitting that you posted about?  Many people treasure handmade crafts like that.  Go to some of the stores in your area and see if they would let you sell your knitted items in their stores.

You have an absolutely wonderful talent for baking so that may also be something to think about.  We have a local company that delivers some of the best muffins, brownies and pastries to the hospital and they do one heck of an amazing business.  Check with some of your local catering companies and see if they would be interested in buying your baked goods.

You have lots of talents so sit down, list them and I'm sure you will come up with something.

IP Logged
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 4:13pm »

Oh dear God.  No, I don't think the medical thing would be for me.  Is there such a thing as selective learning???

Anyway, knitting is extremely time consuming and you don't get diddly squat for the materials and time put in unfortunately.

I have thought about the baking thing, but then there is health codes, shipping laws, possibility of getting sued...LOL!!  

Thank you for the suggestions Cyn, I'm going to keep looking and brainstorming as much as possible.  Right now I've opened a shop at Cafepress featuring products people can buy with my photographic artwork on them.  I'm going to keep building it up over the next couple months as many of my photos are long gone off my puter.  I gotta work at building my portfolio!

You guys are great! Kiss
IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Find joy in your day

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 4:28pm »

You have an absolutely wonderful talent for baking so that may also be something to think about.  We have a local company that delivers some of the best muffins, brownies and pastries to the hospital and they do one heck of an amazing business.  Check with some of your local catering companies and see if they would be interested in buying your baked goods.

Start at the local schools.  When microbrew was in elementary school I had teachers BEGGING me to make them cookies at and around Christmas time.   They never had time for their own families and parties and wanted someone else to make home made goodies for them.  They were willing to pay A LOT, too.  

Had I the time and inclination I could have made good money for a couple of months a year.

You could expand it to Easter treats, Valentines, Mothers and Fathers Days etc.

It sure beats driving a desk if you don't want to.
IP Logged

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown
cynjeep89
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 4:52pm »

Adding on to what Pat wrote, check with some of your local florists.  Some of them make food, fruit and other types of gift baskets.  You could drop off some of your delicious baked goods for the florist to sample and start from there.
IP Logged
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 5:52pm »

Alright, here's the deal.  My mom sorta wrote down my Great-Grandmother's recipe for Peanut Butter Candy before she passed away.  Now you see, the only thing is, is that my Gram did not have a cookbook she went by.  Everything she made was by memory and she didn't use measuring cups or spoons either, so my mom was flying blind, as am I.  I just tried my first batch, which of course ended up being a little burnt due to high temps, but I'm thinking that if I can get a good pattern down, I'd like to try and sell it.

It'd be called Goldie's Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Candy.

I will also need to create a panel of taste testers.  

Anyone interested??
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 6:27pm »

on Dec 19th, 2007, 5:52pm, Melissa wrote:
Alright, here's the deal.  My mom sorta wrote down my Great-Grandmother's recipe for Peanut Butter Candy before she passed away.  Now you see, the only thing is, is that my Gram did not have a cookbook she went by.  Everything she made was by memory and she didn't use measuring cups or spoons either, so my mom was flying blind, as am I.  I just tried my first batch, which of course ended up being a little burnt due to high temps, but I'm thinking that if I can get a good pattern down, I'd like to try and sell it.

It'd be called Goldie's Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Candy.

I will also need to create a panel of taste testers.  

Anyone interested??

What kind of a benefit package does it come with?
IP Logged

Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 6:40pm »

a benefit package just to try some of my candy??

interesting...

BTW, if it doesn't work, I'll switch to fudge instead. Grin
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #11 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 6:46pm »

on Dec 19th, 2007, 6:40pm, Melissa wrote:
a benefit package just to try some of my candy??

interesting...

BTW, if it doesn't work, I'll switch to fudge instead. Grin

My mistake - I thought you were looking for a marketing director. Wink
IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Find joy in your day

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 7:09pm »

Melissa (and anyone else affected) . . . just ignore Brew until December 26th.  

He's smack dab in the middle of Hell Week at work and can't be responsible for what he says or writes . . .

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I'd taste your candy but I can't figure out how you'll get it through the modem!
IP Logged

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 7:11pm »

I'd mail it, LOL
IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 7:18pm »

Sales and marketing...now that would be right up my alley, but one thing I'd be warry of are the regulations and licensing to sell food goods to the general public.  

Check into the soy candle business.  You make them at home then sell to the stores.  They of course mark them up to make their profit.

The kids uncle does this.  Mill Creek Candle Company.

It's a thought.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 7:24pm »

Ok, back to the original question.  Where/what can I do to make money that isn't going to cost me more money??  

It's like a neverending circle. Sad

ETA, thanks Redd, but my problem is above.

Oh well, it's OK you guys, hopefully with more thought I'll figure out somethin. Undecided
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2007, 7:26pm by Melissa » IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 7:33pm »

on Dec 19th, 2007, 7:09pm, Mosaicwench wrote:
Melissa (and anyone else affected) . . . just ignore Brew until December 26th.  

He's smack dab in the middle of Hell Week at work and can't be responsible for what he says or writes . . .

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
I'd taste your candy but I can't figure out how you'll get it through the modem!

I know what that is too...Christmas??? Advertizing????  Early Deadlines?  Can anyone wonder why I took vacation for the 21, 24 and the 31st?  5 day weekend, work 3 days and take a 4 day weekend.  

I can't loose these days off and I don't need to.  For the first time since August, I actually made 100% of goal, so I'll actually have a comission check coming.  Too bad it doesn't come till January...
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 7:38pm »

I work at home doin the dog kennel thing.....but Brad let me take over a large closet off the rec room and built nice big pens with dog doors he made himself (plexi glass swing doors that cost 100 bucks or more a piece) and we ended up useing most of our deck for pens we built the dog doors enter into....plus one has a large chain lenk fence area. The pens have lights and blankets and everything plus there inside. Lot of work tho and expense esp with vaccines and all these days.....it's all went up.....lucky for me a friend is my vet !!! Sellin pups has become a chore now also cuz people want to just come over to hang out and dog talk.....and bring the family......or they call wanting one but have no money. I get alot of that !!! And it's getting risky now too with the public turning on ya.....a pup bites a baby and YOUR BEIN SUED !! (I have a contract to try and protect me tho and I explain alot of things on care and all ahead of time)

What ever ya do don't sign up for the work at home program that sends ya BOOKLETS to look thru then you BUY which item you want to makes booklet and kit. You sell them BACK to them......but.......you can only get the correct products from them at a high dollar to continue.....like beads and stuff. I signed on one year for makeing cool beaded earrings. Took me HOURS to make one pair.....they sent enuff materials for a price to make so many pairs but DEMANDED I make around 40 to 60 pair a week. And they stated if they found ONE TINY FLAW in anything I finished and sent back to them they'd KEEP the entire group of items and not pay me a dime !!! I worked till my hands went numb tryin to make the quota but it was IMPOSSIBLE even working around the clock !!!! Each kit is about 70 bucks to make and sell a particular item BACK to them you make. Plus ordering forms to buy materials. I tried buying materials to make them and they would not work the same....string didn't hold up or beads uneven. I think they got about 120 bucks of my money which was sumones get rich quick scheme that was working !? It's a scam for the most part....you can NEVER meet there quota or please them to get paid for what ya sent in. Am sure there are sum that are reputable.....but be careful !!!! It was for makeing craft stuff like beaded hair clips THEY sold to stores or earrings or necklaces whatever. Good luck......crap cleaner Pam
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2007, 7:43pm by cootie » IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 7:38pm »

Thats what brainstorming is all about.  Toss everything out there, and then see what sticks.
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 7:56pm »

Quote:
just ignore Brew until December 26th.

O.k. you are ignored Bill.  Can ya feel the love?  Grin

Mel, I can't find one of his posts to copy right now, but Ray...on the bottom of his posts is a link to his wifes at home business.  If I didn't have to use pay pal I would have bought some things from her....check it out the next time he posts.  

You will need to spend SOME money to make money Mel.  There's no getting around that.   16 yrears ago I put an ad in the paper for housecleaning....even though it was my own effort that was the product I was selling I still had to pay for the ad monthly...buy supplies...gas in getting there, etc.  

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #20 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 8:00pm »

Linda, I know, but I don't want to spend so much money on supplies.  I could make fudge, but the cost of making that is very low compared to like Redd's suggestion of candles.  (btw, I know how to make those too, LOL)

I was hoping for some sort of data entry job I could do, but I think those are just a fantasy.

S'ok tho!
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 8:04pm »

Dang...I wish I could find a post of Rays.  His wife makes soaps, shampoos etc...I would think that the ingredients for that would be about the same as the candles Mel.

P.S.   I also think the mark-up is pretty high.  (no offence Ray)
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2007, 8:05pm by Linda_Howell » IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #22 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 8:13pm »

It's OK Linda, I found it.  It's called Shade's Garden, right?  And $3 for a bar of soap is actually not a bad price, especially if it's GOOD soap.  Heck, I paid I think $4.50 for some Amish homemade soap myself.

Smiley

ooooo, I was just looking up how to make soap and they also have how to make bath bombs!  I love those things!!
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2007, 8:17pm by Melissa » IP Logged

vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #23 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 8:18pm »

You could beg.

Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #24 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 8:41pm »

on Dec 19th, 2007, 8:18pm, vietvet2tours wrote:
 You could beg.

Yeeeeaaaaaaaahhhh right.  And I could open a phone sex line too.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2007, 8:45pm by Melissa » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss