Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 10:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New Cluster Head »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New Cluster Head
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Cluster Head  (Read 493 times)
rnkc
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

New Cluster Head
« on: Dec 30th, 2005, 9:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My name is Rich and I am new to the board but not new to cluster headaches.  I have had these headaches off and on for over 20 years now.  I am 44 years old.  I am married but my family doesn't understand the painful episodes.  I usually get 8 weeks worth of clusters every year or so.  Not that long of a period but the pain makes up for it.  I have been having episodes now for over 2 weeks.  Usually get them at night after I go to sleep.  Nothing ever really helps the pain except for O2 which I only get in the ER.  I just started taking Kudzu extract vitamins for 2 days now.  Hope these work!  Just want to say hi to everyone here and it's nice to know I'm not alone.  It's nice to talk to other people who suffer from the same symptoms I do.
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: New Cluster Head
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 9:24pm »

G'day Rich, and welcome to the cluster-go-round.  Yes, we do understand and no, you're no longer alone.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 9:41pm »

Hi and welcome Rich.

Like the Aussie Brain said we are here for you, all rowing the same boat and you don't have to do this alone anymore.

Try to get your family to read here or join the supporters group, that will be a big stride in helping them understand this condition and what you are going through.

The lights are always on here.

A Good Morning to you Mr. Brain, it's going to be a scorcher here today! Grin
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 3:10am »

Howdy Rich and welcome to the asylum.  Feel free to share your experiences and ask as many questions as you want.  You get to having a bad time of it, you can come in here and rant and rave, kick and scream whatever it takes to get it out of your system.  Venting is good for you.  You might be surprised just how much it helps to have someone there that understands.

CH effects the whole family so we're here for them as well.   Supporters are very important in our lives and sometimes, they need support, too.  Try and get the family in here if possible.  Maybe if they see that there are many others just like you, they will come off with a better understanding of what you go through.

Wishing you Pain Free Days And Nights (PFDAN)
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 7:07am »

If O2 is working for you, why not get a rig setup for home use?

Would be helpful to review a range of treatment options with your doc: Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  

This a good article by a solid doc: http://www.headachedrugs.com/pdf/HA2005.pdf  
 Read all the material, even sections on migraine. Material which important to cluster folks is sometimes also common to migraine.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 12:11pm »

on Dec 31st, 2005, 7:07am, Bob_Johnson wrote:
If O2 is working for you, why not get a rig setup for home use?

Ditto what Bob said.
Will your insurance cover it? Will your doctor prescribe it?

No? There are ways to use welder's O2 which are much cheaper.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 12:45pm »

No you're not alone.  I could live with these headaches it it wasn't for the unearthly pain.  Wink

A few years back, my my leg swelled to huge proportions when I slipped on deck.  When I went for X-rays the doc. asked for X-rays of both legs.  Turned out the leg injured on the deck wasn't broken, but I had  walked around with my other leg broken and it healed out of proper alignment.  That pain never bothered me, BUT THIS PAIN DOES.

Oxygen seems to address your abortive needs but you might want to talk with your Neurologist about preventatives.  If you can somewhat predict your cycles it may be possible to pre-empt attacks by building therepudic levels of preventatives in your system just prior to your On-periods.  But please coordinate this with your Neurologist.  A good headache journal will help you identify the specifics of your cycles and possibly determine if preventative may help.  

Welcome to the Pain-Train

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 1:55am »

Hi Rich and Welcome

Ditto to what the others have said and remember that there will always be some'one on line to talk through things.

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
alchemy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

get out of my head

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 4:13pm »

welcome aboard rich, sorry you're having a tough time with it. this is the place to be. i've gotten great help here and you will to.     jim
IP Logged
scottyf
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:55am »

Hi there

This is my first post - was diagnosed just over a week ago. Have had these headaches since summer 2001, about 2-4 weeks every year, every couple of days, without fail on the left side.

3 times over the years I went to a GP about them, and every time was reassured that it wasn't anything sinister, my eyes and reflexes were fine etc... Plus if painkillers work, in that the headaches stop after 30mins, then its OK. But then I experiemented and went without painkillers and they still stopped after about 30mins!  Finally a neurologist told me what it was.

Its a relief to know its nothing life threatening, but a bit worrying that one day it might become permanent - 2-4 weeks a year I can deal with (Im 24 now). Been told of some medications I can take when the next period starts (not if!).

The main thing I found was that I would have to disappear from people's sight when getting the pain - my Mum found me in the middle of the night once and was so shocked at the state I was in, and even more surprised when 10mins later I was fine!

This site is really useful by the way, so I just have one question at the moment - Im soon to do a few more weeks travelling. Does clusterheadaches count as a condition that I should tell my travel insurance company about?

Oh, and this may be a coincidence, but these headaches started for me as soon as I stopped getting bad hayfever every summer!

Hope all are well (at least everything else in your body!)

Scott
IP Logged
rnkc
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 1:01pm »

Been getting CH's usually at night now.  I did get an O2 tank and it helps at home, usually pain is gone in about 15 minutes.  However, it minimizes the CH's and I might get another within a few hours.  Does everyone else get this horrible neck pain along with the CH's like I do?
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 1:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jan 8th, 2006, 1:01pm, rnkc wrote:
Does everyone else get this horrible neck pain along with the CH's like I do?

Ohhhhhhhhhh yes.  And because I have an anxiety disorder, it's magnified X 10.  I find that going to bed with an icepack on the base of the head/top of the neck, helps a lot as well as switching to another cold one after I have an attack, before I go back to sleep.  I think I am coming to my cycles end right now, and have an appt. with my Chiropractor tomorrow to help with my tension HA's and neck pain due to all the cluster cycle anxiety, coping positions and such.
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

Ditto on th neck pain!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 11:45pm »

If the CH wasn't so bad, I;d take myself out over the neck pain.
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

Ditto on th neck pain!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 12:22am »

If the CH wasn't so bad, I;d take myself out over the neck pain.
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 12:54am »

Hi guys, and welcome to Clusterville! It's a mixed bag..glad you found us, so sorry you need to be here!  
Nonetheless, you will not find a more caring supportive group than this.........and best of all, they KNOW it's NOT "just a headache"....arrrggghhh!!!!!!!!!  
Pull up a chair and settle in. Read the links to the left, share questions and issues. Someone is generally around 24/7 to talk to........
please remember....
life is what is enjoyed in between the hits....CH is NOT your life.........be sure to enjoy all you can!

Oh and, should you need, there IS a family services committee, awaiting to serve you, if things ever get too tough!
Wishing you PFDAN

Cathi
IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss