Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 1:02pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « wife says maybe i have ch »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   wife says maybe i have ch
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: wife says maybe i have ch  (Read 286 times)
aaron_ct
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

wife says maybe i have ch
« on: Jan 12th, 2006, 1:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, everyone. Aaron in CT. I'm a web developer & teacher by trade. 38 YO.

I started a new job in November that puts me at the computer sometimes 12 hrs/day. About that time, I started getting headaches, the first were mild, but they've slowly been increasing in intensity. Always just behind/above my right eye. Sometimes feels like my eye's going to pop out.

Symptoms/cycles:

- I've never felt this in my life before about mid-November.

- The first "headache" was accompanied by nausea, but didn't have eye pain. It was a week after my wife started getting Migraines herself, which seemed suspicious to both her and me, and I discounted it as a virus of some kind. I haven't had that one since then.

- After about two weeks after that, I started getting a weird pain behind my eye, at random periods. I largely ignored it.
Starting about mid-December, the eyeaches became periodic (or I began noticing them more). I realized it was always in the right eye, or rather just behind/above it.

- Mostly now, I can count on it coming on about 4 or 5 PM, lasting until about 6 or 7 PM. However, some days (like yesterday and today) it comes on at random times, lasting about 20 minutes, going away for about 20 minutes.  

- It feels like day and night. Although the pain is generally only at a  3-5 on the 'kip' scale I saw here, a couple of times it was at a 7 or 8. Also a couple of times it woke me up, and I went into the bathroom so I wouldn't wake my wife.

- It subsides really quickly, and I suddenly feel like I'm in a different place, like I was oxygen starved before, but someone opened a door letting in fresh air.

- It feels like an old "friend" now, in some weird way. I can feel it coming on, sometimes it feels like something unhinges itself in my brain, and I know things are about to get unbearable for awhile.

Finally, my wife got tired of hearing me complain about them. I didn't even think I was complaining too much; most of the time I didn't bother telling her about it. I only mentioned it a couple of times because she asked why I was pressing on my eye.

She set up an eye exam, thought maybe I was having eye strain. I explained that I've been in front of a computer for 25 years, and know what eye strain feels like, and this was nothing like eye strain. But I went anyway.

The eye doctor said my eyes were fine, but that I'm getting slightly far-sighted. She prescribed distance/reading glasses for when I'm at the computer. About the eyeache, she said she didn't know, but maybe it was sinuses.

Again, I've had sinus infections before, and never felt anything like this. But I went to the doctor with an open mind. He said no, it wasn't a sinus infection, but said it was a classic migraine, and prescribed me for Indocin (Indomethacin). For the record, I tried it twice when I felt it coming on, and it didn't do a thing. (As a side note, yesterday after reading a post here, I tried drinking a ton of water when I felt it coming on, and it actually seemed to help. It didn't today, however.)

So anyway, I came home, told my wife I had classic migraines. "No, you don't," she said, "I have classic migraines. What you have is nothing like that." So she went on wikipedia, and after a few minutes said, "I think you have cluster headaches."

So the past couple of days, I've been reading up. And it really scares me. Because if that's what's going on, I know what I've been going through is nothing, compared to what I've seen from what many of you have been through. But that if it is, then it could get worse. And that scares me.

Well anyway, I was just checking in. Want to make sure I'm well-informed the next time I go to see the doctor. I don't really trust doctors or medicine anway, but my wife makes me go. Smiley I'd rather use kudzu or do yoga or drink lots of water, if that helps.

- Aaron

ps here's my score from the checklist, if anyone wants to analyze it: 1 - no, 2 - no, 3 - no, 4 - no, although noise & people talking to me bothers me some, 5 - no, 6 - no, 7 - no, 8 - no, 9 - yes, 10 - sometimes, 11 - generally same time each day, not long enough to know about season, 12 - no, 13 - yes, 14 - yes, 15 - yes, 16 - walk & pace (and fidget), but I haven't experienced head-bashing, thrashing, screaming yet, knock on wood.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: wife says maybe i have ch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 1:31pm »

So much of how you talk about it, the words you use are spookily reminiscent of how I started. I hope you're wrong, it's a sinus infection and it'll get better. I don't think that's the case though. You've already started out waaaaaay ahead of the curve by discovering this site. Read up and go to your doctor heavily armed with info. With the exception of imitrix, what works for migrains don't work for clusters and the opposite is also true. It won't take you long before you're sure one way or the other. If it is CH, welcome to the board, hell if it's not CH welcome anyways and let us know what it was. Wishing you peace and the best of luck. the first year can be a little scarey and unsettling!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 2:07pm »

Go see a Neurologist and get a definite diagnosis, one way or another. The thing that maybe tells me that you don't have CH is that you are not awakened in the middle of the night every night. A good neuro will know what you have.  

Here's hoping it's not CH.
PF sishes.
Jose
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 2:15pm »

"but my wife makes me go"  Hate when that happens.

Hi aaron.  

Sounds like Clusters but I would certainly reccomend a neurological exam, MRI and such to rule out other possibilities.  
Use a different doctor or get a referral to a neurologist. Not all docs are knowledgable about CH. Your many steps ahead with education about CH.

MJ
IP Logged

MJ
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 3:48pm »

Regardless of what you have going on, I'm bummed to see another in pain.

Read all that you possibly can!

Anyway, Since you live in CT, you may want to contact The New England Center for Headaches (NECH).
It is Stamford.  
I live on Long Island and still make the treck every month to see Dr. Sheftell.

THEY KNOW HEADACHES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Aaron.

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 8:34pm »

Hi Aaron,

Sorry you had to find us.  As Eric said, read all you can.  Read the medical info to the left.  You might also find the following article interesting with regard to treatments, if you are diagnosed:

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

First and foremost, you need a proper diagnosis.  My first cycle sounded much like the one you're experiencing now.   It lasted about 12 weeks and never went above a kip 3-4.  My second cycle was much more classic.

And regardless of what Marlinsfan said (sorry buddy), I rarely have a middle of the night hit.  I'm strictly a 2 pm and 9 pm girl!  

See a good neurologist!  Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss