Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 3:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Saw My Doctor Finally »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Saw My Doctor Finally
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Saw My Doctor Finally  (Read 298 times)
Carol_Hackler
New Board Newbie
USA 

Saw My Doctor Finally
« on: Jan 12th, 2006, 2:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I saw the Neurologist finally yesterday.  I was suppose to see him on the 3rd but he had to cancel.  Anywho, he said that I have "menstrual migraines with cluster traits".  

I'm to start taking Topomax (sp?) as a preventative medication.  He said that the meds, if they help, really won't kick in until about three weeks from now.

Also, since I am horribly addicted to Excederin I have to stop that, cold turkey.  He gave me Naproxen to take for about a week, twice a day.  He said that will help but my headaches probably will get worse before getting better, because of the caffeine withdrawal.  So I got that going for me (my favorite line from Caddyshack).

I have a couple of questions for you...

First, has anyone had to kick an Excederin habit?  

Second, since I don't have true cluster headaches, is it still cool to post here?Cheesy  I like the people and information on this site!

Thanks!
Carol
IP Logged

Wit makes its own welcome, and levels all distinctions. No dignity, no learning, no force of character, can make any stand against good wit.
Ralph Waldo Emerson 1803 - 1882
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Saw My Doctor Finally
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 3:28pm »

Menstrual migraine with Cluster traits?

Wouldn't you only have "attacks" when ovulation begins and possibly during menses?

My wife gets those.......

Anyway.....

Any NSAID (indomethacin, advil, excedrine, naproxen) will be a bitch to come off of!!!!!

You will withstand excruciating headache which will leave you literally imobile. THAT IS A REBOUND!

To come off of cold turkey is damn cruel!
How much do you take?
Is there a way to taper.

When I was coming off of indomethacin which was used for an additional head ache type I have along with clusters (lucky me) I not only had the Icepiks come back (indo kept them away) but I had CH which made me want to dance AND I then had REBOUND which made me NEED to be still.

It was a difficult volley in my brain.

Good luck!

BTW hated topomax!

Hugs,

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Carol_Hackler
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 3:52pm »

The doctor didn't say anything about tapering.  He told me to just stop taking them, and take the Naproxin instead, twice a day.  He said in about a week I should be okay.  I haven't had any Excederin today and am starting to feel a headache but it isn't bad yet.  I figure the worst of it will be this weekend while I am at home.  I figure if it gets too bad then f**k it, I'm taking the Excederin.

Tapering is a good idea but I wonder if it will conflict with the naproxin?  Maybe I should try tapering first before going cold turkey.  

Currently I take about 2-4 excederin's a day, 6-8 if I have a headache.  Maybe cut down to one in the morning and one in the evening for a few days, then one a day?  Hmmmm.

Getting to my headaches, yep - there is a pattern to them.  They hit about three days before my period and last throughout my period, ending when I start taking my pill again.  

How long did your rebound headache last Eric?
IP Logged

Wit makes its own welcome, and levels all distinctions. No dignity, no learning, no force of character, can make any stand against good wit.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 4:15pm »

on Jan 12th, 2006, 3:52pm, Carol_Hackler wrote:
The doctor didn't say anything about tapering.  He told me to just stop taking them, and take the Naproxin instead, twice a day.  He said in about a  LONG week I should be okay.  I haven't had any Excederin today and am starting to feel a headache but it isn't bad yet.  I figure the worst of it will be this weekend while I am at home.  I figure if it gets too bad then f**k it, I'm taking the Excederin. That's what I did with the indomethacin when I went Cold turkey, I decided to taper and it made a difference. It was one rough day at the end as opposed to literally days of agony

Tapering is a good idea but I wonder if it will conflict with the naproxin?  Maybe I should try tapering first before going cold turkey. Yup & Though they are the same class of medication (NSAID) you can not take them together
Currently I take about 2-4 excederin's a day, 6-8 if I have a headache.  Maybe cut down to one in the morning and one in the evening for a few days, then one a day?  Hmmmm. Exactly
Getting to my headaches, yep - there is a pattern to them.  They hit about three days before my period and last throughout my period, ending when I start taking my pill again.  Sounds right! I 'm glad you are on your way!  
Topamax is some heavy duty shit. Does he want you on it just prior to your cycle or as a true preventative throughout the year?

How long did your rebound headache last Eric? Prior to tapering, I went cold turkey. I had what felt like a Migraine to the 100th power. I was totally incompacitated and like I said in the previous post I had additional HA to go along with it. The first major rebound lasted about 6-7 hours of horror. Those of us that have had fullblown KIP 10's of CH know agony, this was a different types of pain that was, dare I say, very high on "our" kip scale. I finally said, F-k it and took the med. It alleviated the HA fairly quickly, then I tapered and the headaches were painful but tolerable in comparison. It is very possible that it might have been just a rough couple of days of severe pain. I chose to make it easier on myself.

Hugs to you Carol & check in to let us know how you are.

OOOh I forgot, Oxygen is also known to help migraineurs. Might want to try it.

The other thing is that it might not be too bad if you only take the excedrine during cycle, however if you do take it on a regular basis that is when you will get true Rebound. I was on indomethacin for over a yr. That may be why it was so horrendous.

Eric
IP Logged

Space in-between them
Carol_Hackler
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 4:45pm »

The topamax will be used as a preventative.  I really wish I could take zomig, imitrex or something along those lines but unfortunately I am allergic to the main ingredient; such a bummer.

brief sidenote, my co-worker keeps talking to herself and she's scaring me...

I checked out a thread on the Med's forum and there is a discussion regarding topamax.  I'm hoping I don't have the drugged out feeling but at this point I am willing to give it a go.  

Okay, here is my plan for tapering off the Excederin: I'll start today and take two, one now and one this evening.  I'll do this through the weekend and then on Monday I'll go on one a day and I'll do that through Thursday.  How does that sound?

Another question about rebounds, what is it in NSAID's that make them so addicting, is it the caffeine?
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2006, 4:46pm by Carol_Hackler » IP Logged

chewy

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 8:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
he said that I have "menstrual migraines with cluster traits".    

Just like Jonny except he has chronic PMS.

I dont think you need to detox from excedrin. You just quit taking them.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2006, 8:33pm by chewy » IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 8:36pm »

on Jan 12th, 2006, 4:45pm, Carol_Hackler wrote:

Another question about rebounds, what is it in NSAID's that make them so addicting, is it the caffeine?

Not all NSAID's have caffiene.

What is "addicting" as you put it was your pain relief.
Taking them kept some of it aways thus you learned to keep popping them.

Basic principle of learning
A negatively reinforced response Wink
IP Logged

Space in-between them
chewy

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12th, 2006, 8:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Second, since I don't have true cluster headaches, is it still cool to post here?  I like the people and information on this site!  

LMAO! You make it a little tough to say no.

You have cluster traits. Close enough for me.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2006, 8:44pm by chewy » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss