Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 4:44am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New here. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New here.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New here.  (Read 405 times)
TeresaB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

New here.
« on: Jan 19th, 2006, 2:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

But, unfortunately not new to headaches.  

I have had what has been deemed "cluster headaches" for over 13 years.  Started with the pregnancy of my sixth child.  Within a couple of years, I developed postural tachycardia syndrome due to autonomic failure/neuropathy.  For me, the cluster headaches are part of this overall failure.  Medically, we've treated the failure, and usually, this helps the headaches.  The biggest part of this failure for me is the inability to maintain a blood pressure...I have severe orthostatic hypotension and my heart rate and rhythms are pretty funky, too.  

I have been in a cluster cycle since September.  It had eased up somewhat, but in the past couple of weeks has come back full force.  Previous to this current cycle, the last was two years ago.  We presume that cycle was due to my being in a state of congestive heart failure.  After initiating strong diuretic therapy, the dreadful headaches went on vacation.  This current bout seems to be somewhat related...I'm not particularly congested, but my main trigger seems to be anything that makes me more hypoxic.....I'm currently threatening to make my family prepare meals over a fire outside as even using the oven sets me off.  Also a lot of problems upon waking when my lungs are a little wet.

Calling my doctor this afternoon to set up an appointment for next week as I just can't take it any longer.  Last night's headache was scary even for me....haven't had one that severe in a very long time, and you know, it occurs to me from time to time that the pain is so bad that a stroke or heart attack could be produced by it.  

I would love to hear from other sufferers who are also dealing with cluster and other illnesses/symptoms/syndromes that are related.  As I said, for me, its all part of one big package, or so it seems.

IP Logged
Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: New here.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 2:17pm »

Teresa,
 I want to begin by welcoming you. Of course, I'm sorry you need this site, but we are all glad you found us!
That said, honey, you have a LOT going on!
True also, there are many  CH'ers who have multiple afflictions, and I am certain they will pop in any time now.
As for the CH, well, take a look at the left. These are links to some things which might help.
Probably the most important one, right now, might be the 02-have you ever used it for a hit?  So many swear by it, and all you have to do is ask for help, should you need it.
Please take some time to read read read, and ask any other questions you have.
CH is tough enough ,on its own, to deal with.As far as CH,know now, Teresa, you are not alone. The people here are quite knowledgable and caring, so ask away.there's no limit, and no such thing as a dumb question.
Looking forward to your posts-and to better days for you, Teresa. Let us know how we can help!

Cathi
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2006, 2:24pm by Cathi04 » IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
TeresaB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 2:27pm »

Thanks for the welcome....

With the whole spectrum of problems going on, I have to say that these headaches are the worst part of all of it.  This isn't something I have to explain to posters here, I'm sure...but, you know, to a lot of people its just like "oh, you have headaches".....
IP Logged
Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 2:33pm »

AHHH...the BIGGEST complaint around here..........NOONE can understand a CH unless they've lived through one!
I know trex is out for you, Teresa, but what has your Dr given you as an abortive/preventative? Have you considered alternatives??  Sooo many possibilities, but CH is so fickle, one thing works for one sufferer-but not for another.

Again, welcome to Clusterville, Teresa. Where it is SOOOOOO  NOT "just a headache"...........post, vent, ask away!

Cathi.again
IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
TeresaB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 2:44pm »

So far, what has been good at keeping my blood pressure, heart rate and fluid levels in check has been good for my headaches.  I take a beta blocker, a diuretic and use another blood pressure drug, Catapres.  At one point, Wellbutrin helped with the headaches.  

Triptans are out...high cholesterol, smoker, past 40, coronary artery spasms.  I'm hoping that my primary doctor will allow me to try oxygen therapy.  I'd just as soon try to avoid adding other drugs.  My husband is a paramedic and would be of great help in aiding me with using it.
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 6:14pm »

Welcome, Teresa.

on Jan 19th, 2006, 2:27pm, TeresaB wrote:
With the whole spectrum of problems going on, I have to say that these headaches are the worst part of all of it.

Agreed! Here's a non-all inclusive list of my past & present injuries:

CH, of course
Herniated disk C6/C7 - having epidural steroid injections
Herniated disk L5/S1 - surgery in April 2005
Torn ACL & MCL ligaments in right knee - 1997
Fractured Pelvis, ankle, nose, 2 ribs -  1988

That's all I remember now.
PF wishes.
IP Logged
TeresaB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 7:20pm »

Marlinsfan,

Do you think your clusters might be related to the problems with your cervical spine?  I know people with autonomic dysfunction who swear that they are all part of the same problem.
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 8:21pm »

Teresa,
 Welcome, and I sure hate it for ya. I dont believe that CH will kill ya. The drugs they treat it with may. I have a cervical fusion c3 and 4 other orthopedic problems. I sometimes look at this for some cause or trigger. I think its the pain and grasping for straws. The CH is CH. It comes it goes. It dodges medications. Strikes out of the blue. Strikes like clockwork. Just when you think you have a grasp it changes. I have had times with no meds a k9 and it seems, for me at least, as I have become older about 30 to 45 min. the body does me a favor and I pass out. No treatment it seems is not an option. Hope you do well at the docs. I would demand O2.
Check out the information on the left as mentioned.  
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 10:59pm »

Hi Teresa,
Welcome to the board.  Interesting set of problems you have there, is the CH secondary to the CNS failure?  Interesting how it is still episodic despite the CNS problems.  I have a link you may find interesting:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050215/717.html

It is a little heavy on the medical lingo, but I think with your past experience you won't have too much trouble figuring it out.  You bring up a very valid question with the hypoxia idea, I've said it here before, if oxygen alleviates an attack, hypoxia may be a trigger, in fact I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea, unfortunately correcting it didn't seem to help the headaches much. On that note I'll also add to what Cath and bbz said, check into the O2 therapy, it has helped alot of us a great deal.  At any rate I'll quit rambling........   If you have any questions or need anything, don't be afraid to let us know.
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 10:41am »

on Jan 19th, 2006, 7:20pm, TeresaB wrote:
Marlinsfan,

Do you think your clusters might be related to the problems with your cervical spine?  I know people with autonomic dysfunction who swear that they are all part of the same problem.

I doubt it, my CH started in the early 80s (82 maybe?), my back problems started in 2003.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss