Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 7:56am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New to the site »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New to the site
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New to the site  (Read 319 times)
gus411
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

New to the site
« on: Jan 19th, 2006, 5:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all I'm 24 years old and have been dealing with these cluster headaches since I was 17. I just went to the head doctor LOL for the second time in 7 years. He was able to identify that these are cluster headaches. Reason I decided to go:  
On january 10'th 2006 I expierienced the worst CH I have ever had. It lasted 3 1/2 hours of excrutiating pain. The normal hot shower didnt help. The exedrin Migrane meds. stopped working and I was at a loss. My family didnt understand the pain I was going through and why I wanted to be DEAD Sad. I have been in a 2 week cycle now and I get 4-5 almost as bad as the 10'th ( I will never forget that date.) The doctor put me on prednisone. and depekoate. So far today only 2 ch's. I am happy to finnaly have found a site that knows what I'm going through. I started  to feel like I was crazy. Thanks all for listening to my sob story. hope to hear from ya.
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

Re: New to the site
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 5:57pm »

Welcome gus, we know how you feel. We've been there, but don't let the beast get the best of you. Death from this is not an option. Headaches do pass, and life goes on.

Read this, it has all the good info on meds:

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

Get your doc to write you a script for Oxygen. It's a godsend for me.

Also, I use melatonin to control to some degree the nighttime attacks. 9 mg 30 mins before bedtime is what I do.

Are you tapering the prednisone? Be careful with that stuff.....

PF wishes.
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 5:57pm »

You're not crazy and sob away to your heart's content, that what we're here for.  Welcome home.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
gus411
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 6:13pm »

Does anything you do reduce a cycle?Is  melatonin ok to take with the stuff i'm on.(In your best opinion of course.) And another question. How does your family members cope with you. Mine dont understand the pain.
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 6:47pm »

You can take melatonin with prednisone. Depakote I don't know.

I've had CH since I was 14, and I've been living on my own since 17. For the first 3 years I basically hid it, cause I was freaked out myself about it.

My wife knows I have it, she caught me with a gun in my temple before we got married, and married me anyway!

Now, 10 years later, she knows what it is, what it does to me, how I handle it, what I like & don't like when I'm getting hit, etc. The rest of my family knows I have bad headaches, and that's it. I don't get into it with them. When I'm in cycle, I basically watch what I eat, I don't drink, and I bolt out of wherever I may be if I feel the slightest shadow coming on.

PF wishes.
Jose
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 8:39pm »

Hey Gus,
 How long have you been taking the pred? It does take a day or two to ramp up on the stuff. It is fairly effective. Lots of side effects though. Feeling crazy is not unusual. LOL Hide the sharp objects, hang on and dont forget to breathe. Your family simply needs information. Rant all you want. Start a journal of your headache. Read this site. Identify your triggers. Information is golden when fighting the beast.Lots of good people here with the goods on the CH.
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19th, 2006, 10:11pm »

Hi Gus,
Welcome to the board, you definitely found a bunch that can identify with you about the pain and mis-understanding.  More than once I've thought that if I could just remove a chunk of my head and face I'd be ok, but then realized that wouldn't be a good idea.  The prednisone is a sound, recognized treatment, but I beleive the side effects outweigh the benefits, does it seem to be working for you?  Are you using any abortive treatments like triptans or oxygen?  If the pred doesn't stop them I'd highly recomend looking into the O2, just follow the link on the left of the page. As for the melatonin, alot of people here have had great luck with it, I tried it and it seemed to work well for a couple weeks, then I started getting hit in the morning instead of at night.  Anyway, welcome to the board, if you need anything or have any questions don't be afraid to let us know, and let us know how you're making out with your current treatment.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss