Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 4:15pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « thought they were over »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   thought they were over
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: thought they were over  (Read 526 times)
guy_in_camo
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

thought they were over
« on: Jan 30th, 2006, 2:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

[color=Teal][/color]...thought they were gone 5 yrs and they back...anybody go that long brfore??
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: thought they were over
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 7:34pm »

The thing about clusters is ... they almost always come back.

I'm a 4-5 year cycler also.  It's not unusual.  Just be grateful that you have so much PF time between!

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Lietuvos
New Board Newbie
USA 

AHHH...AAHHHH.. .AAAHHHHHH

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 7:36pm »

Never gone that long without....longest i've gone without is 10 months. hate to be the barer of bad news....but, i was informed i will suffer the rest of my life. hope you can go another five years...or longer. Maybe stress or something new you are doing caused them to reappear.
IP Logged

WHY PUT OFF UNTIL TOMORROW WHAT YOU CAN EXPLOIT OTHERS TO DO TODAY
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 8:21pm »

on Jan 30th, 2006, 7:34pm, Kris_in_SJ wrote:
The thing about clusters is ... they almost always come back.

I'm a 4-5 year cycler also.  It's not unusual.  Just be grateful that you have so much PF time between!

Hugs,

Kris

I'm the same as Kris; 5 year intervals and usually late November through to February, next round with the Demon 2010.
Glad you found this place your in good company here.

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 8:37pm »

I just finished a 2 year off cycle. I convinced myself since I was 45 maybe I'd finally outgrown them. They always come back. Just had a 75 year old break my heart on the board. They haven't left him yet, they always come back. On the upside, the board is always here!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
floridatwo
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:02pm »

I wish I had better news, mine lasted from age 28 to 60. Just turned 63 and their back. I'm not having as many in one day but the duration of the ones I do get ranges between 3 to 5 hours. Thanks to everyone for this site.
IP Logged

florida42
Mike_in_CA
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:04pm »

I too had hoped I'd "outgrown" them since, at 43 I had been PF for 8 years. Unfortunately my CH's have come back with a vengence, like they were storing some evil energy for all this time.

Good luck with your fight...and enjoy the PF time that you have. I couldn't imagine having these things chronically.
IP Logged
Bizz13
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 8:34am »

2 years, Wow it was nice not to have them but now ther back and just as bad as ever! my wife almost forgot how bad they hurt me,she got up at 5:30am and i had one .she ask me if i was ok and i said ther back!OHH NO!
IP Logged
shenke
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 11:07pm »

Yes, was pain free for 4 1/2 years, never thought they would have returned.  Luckily I found this site, it has helped me so much.  I hope you can get the help you need ... there are so many great people here , with such dedidication.  Good luck to you....Sheila
IP Logged
RDubois
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

RDubois   RDubois

« Reply #9 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 1:11pm »

laugh laugh laughI may be the 75 year old that is breaking Giuseppi's heart. Sorry. I too had been 2+ years since my last episode. My cycle broke gradually 2 weeks ago. I'm confident that I can watch the super bowl today without a recurrence, because I don't care who wins. I wish them both luck. Look for a big New England comeback next year.

The literature says that cycles and intensity tend to abate with age. That has been true in my case. When my headaches started 21 years ago, I was having 2 cycles per year, each of about 3 months. After 10 years, they diminished to once a year until '03 which was the last time until last November.

This last cycle has been easier, (of couse I'm retired so I don't have the stress that you guys have who have to work for a living). I think stress is a big factor in level of pain. Whether or not it plays a part in bringing on the cycle or individual attacks, or if it affects the level of pain is still an open question to me.

It seems that even after 20 years, I have a new theory with each headache. In all cases, I've been proven wrong. The info available today is so much greater than it was 20 years ago, yet, so many of our fellow clusterheads agree that our family Doctors act like they've never heard of these things. They should have a question on the test the Doctors have to take to get certified!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you haven't been there yet, Go to Dr. Goadsby, a Britisher who is apparently the guru in this area. He wrote a very good article in the New England Journal of Medicine a few years ago, which you can download.

Good luck. Sorry, Giuseppe, 76 in 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I'm PF right now, hope you are too.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 1:23pm »

Im 43, I was chronic for 30years, Ive had nothing more than a few shadows for over a year. I even stopped ALL my meds....I have no idea why it went away, but not being chronic now means im always looking over my shoulder for the next hit.

Believe it or not.....it was easier being chronic
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 1:50pm »

Your lordship Mr. RDubois...(showing appropriate respect for my elders!)....you were the one who broke my heart! Glad to hear they get a little easier to bear as you get older. Wishing you a pain free super bowl, and I'll let my poor neighbor know he's not the only one praying for a New England comeback next year!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

aussiegirl
New Board Newbie
Australia 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 9:06pm »

I had 6 years off but am in cycle now.  Gave up smoking 71/2 years ago, got married 7years ago, had 1st baby 51/2 years ago, another 31/2 years ago, I thought all of these life changes might have broken the devil's back but no. They're back! Cry

My cycles have gone from one episode every year from 1985 - 1995, then I had a 4 year break to 1999 and then a 6 year break to 2005/6.

So maybe we will both be lucky and the gaps will keep increasing.  If we have to have these headaches for the rest of our lives, I think I could manage with breaks of 6 years or more.

I hope you find treatment that works for you.  I have found the O2 wonderful, and am taking indomethacin as preventative - working most of the time.

Looking forward to maybe 10years pf next time.  Smiley

Hugs

Kathleen
IP Logged
outofcommission
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

damn......no place to park

« Reply #13 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 6:04pm »

i am currently on my 5th year. i just joined this sight because i am sure that i will get them again. it seems the older i get the more time i have between ch seasons. and it seems the older i get the more intence these chs get. i am hoping for another 5 years
       hang in there buddy
IP Logged

that which does not kill you will only make you crazy, obsessive, and sleep deprived
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 9:45pm »

Like Jonny, I am chronic, 43 in March, been chronic all my life.  
Jonny is correct, it is easier being chronic.
IP Logged

shenke
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 7:33am »

I have no idea how anyone can say it is easier being chronic. I don't want either, but wondering when they will return does take it's toll on you.

But do know... that the first twenty + days of this cycle almost made me insane. I didn't know if I could go on much longer.  I spend a lot of time reading on this site, and still wonder how everyone can have such a positive attitude.  

I guess that (everyone here) is what helped keep me from going insane.  Was PF for 5 years also, but this has been the worse time ever.  Was so glad and thankful to find this place.

Hope I too can adjust to this dreadful life style, like so many of you guys.  Still pray I never go from episodic to chronic though....

Sheila
IP Logged
PL259
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #16 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 5:45pm »

I never was chronic, but went about 18 years with 2 to 4 cycles per year, then in the late 90's found a good doctor, did my first 2 years free, thought they were gone, I was wrong. then made almost another 2 years before another cycle. Last one was 5 months long. Oh well, anytime my wife sees me putting pressure on the right side of my head she freaks and thinks they are back.  

Still looking over my shoulder and running like hell  Grin
IP Logged

I don't really exist.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 5:53pm »

I'm afraid I agree with Shenke. The only thing that gets me through a 12 weel cycle is knowing the damn things will stop. I'll get at least a 3-4 month time of nothingness, then ramp up to fun and games again. I guess you're only dealt what you can handle cuz I don't think I could handle chronic.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

DennyM
New Board Newbie
Australia 

She-Who's-Never -Obeyed

« Reply #18 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 2:14am »

When Brian was first diagnosed with CH, almost 20 years ago now, he was told (by a neuro, for pity's sake!)

(A) Only men get them
     (B) They probably wouldn't bother him once he got  
      to the age of about 53

Grasping at (B) like the proverbial olive branch, Brian asked "Why? Do they just suddenly stop?"

"No", came the oh so encouraging reply, "most chaps have killed themselves by then!"

Since then, of course, we've learned so much about CH, and mostly from this site, for which I thank God daily.
IP Logged

Forgive them their sins against us, just don't let them forget 'em.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 3:15am »

on Feb 25th, 2006, 5:53pm, Guiseppi wrote:
I don't think I could handle chronic.
Guiseppi

You would be surprised what you can handle when you have to, Joe  Wink
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #20 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 6:45am »

My longest remisison has been 3 months in nearly 12 years.  I got that remission after finally being properly diagnosed and starting treatment after two years of contineous attacks.

Since then I've had a few 1 month remissions between attack periods from 1 to over 3 years.  I'm currently experiencing a remission that has lasted for just over 1 month.  My cycle is long attack periods with short remissions thrown in every now and then just to keep me sane.

In your case you may be dealing with cycles with long remission periods.  Have you been able to track the length of time that your attacks occur between remissions?  From my limited understanding of this disease a reasonably predictable cycle of attacks and remissions will develop.  

Hopefully your historical background with the disease is sufficient to understand your cycles.  If not it may take some time to fully understand your condition.  With luck you may be blessed with short attack periods and long remissions.

Best Wishes

Tom        
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2006, 6:47am by burnt-toast » IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #21 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 2:40pm »

I'm trying to understand the mindset of "It's easier to be cronic than episodic, because of the fear of getting the next headache"
 confused
I would much rather be between hits. not knowing when it's coming then having to deal with it every day. I just don't think about it.  
It's like when I quit smoking. smokin
I didn''t miss it (much) because I stopped thinking about it.  
IP Logged

Life may not be good, but I think it beats the alternative, and if it doesn't, we'll find out soon enough
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #22 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 6:20pm »

on Feb 27th, 2006, 2:40pm, imnotbub wrote:
I'm trying to understand the mindset of "It's easier to be cronic than episodic, because of the fear of getting the next headache"
I would much rather be between hits. not knowing when it's coming then having to deal with it every day. I just don't think about it.  

The thought of going chronic terrifies me, although maybe being episodic is easier for me since I know when it's coming.  October.  I'm pretty good at not worrying about the next cycle too much once I have recovered from a bout.

Though I do agree with Jonny and others in that it's amazing what you can deal with when you have no choice.
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
pfunk

Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 12:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Being episodic has kind of screwed me up(as if I wasn't already).  My most recent PF episode lasted almost two years.  Until now, my cycles usually start in June and last from mid to late October.  For some reason, this year they started Jan 8.  Until now, I had never really even had one during the winter months.  These guys around here have been a great help and I too will chime in agreement with Jonny.  You really will be surprised at what you can handle, especially when you have to.  PFDANs.  Stay strong, we are here to fight with and for you.
 Wink Cool

Pfunk
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss