Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 5:42am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Is it all about smoking? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Is it all about smoking?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is it all about smoking?  (Read 1050 times)
Trasher
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Is it all about smoking?
« on: Jan 30th, 2006, 11:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm 50 years old.  30+ years of cluster headaches.  I think I've tried everything under the sun.  My girl friend (Anniibell) just found this site.  I guess I would be considered episodic as opposed to chronic.  Imitrex injections seem to be the only thing that helps, but insurance limitations always become a problem.  At this point, I don't have the patience to completely study everything available to me at this site.  I'm trying melatonin at night.  Three nights now, still no results.  

I did find it interesting however in the article "Update on therapies for cluster headache".  It states "As almost all cluster patients have a strong history of cigarette smoking,....." and so on.  For years doctors have talked about "triggers", different foods and cigarettes being among them.  Never before however has anyone actually said in essence that all cluster headache sufferers smoke.  Certainly it isn't that simple.  Anyway, I'm gonna give it a shot.  After over thirty years of smoking, I've gone five days without a cigarette.  No gums, no patches - cold turkey. Still having headaches.  I gotta know, is it just cigarettes, or is marijuana also considered a trigger?  I don't drink, and now I don't smoke, at least for the last 5 days!!  But I sure do enjoy my pot.  In fact, I love smoking pot.  Do I need to give that up too?  I haven't had any of that for 5 days either.  And I'm still having headaches.  This sucks.
IP Logged

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Is it all about smoking?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 11:43pm »

I've never smoked and still get headaches! Careful with the wacky weed, consesus seems to be it increases headache intensity. Good luck.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 12:10am »

Cigarette smoking has been discussed many times in the past.
The results are always the same.
1. Clusterheads smoke more than the average allows.
2. Clusterheads seem to have addictive personalities, and not just to smoking.
3. Smoking does not cause cluster headaches.
4. Smoking does not stop or cure clusters.
5. Doctors like to blame everything on smoking. “The sky is falling. The sky is falling”
6. My mother likes to blame all my bad habits on smoking.

Pot smoking and clusters have also been discussed many times.
The conclusions….
1. DON’T DO IT IF YOU ARE IN CYCLE. It’ll give you one hellava headache.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Trasher
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 12:16am »

What you say makes a lot of sense Bob, thanks.

It gives me something to look forward to when I get "out of cycle"!!

I'll definately try to stay off of the cigarettes, but I'm not sure about the other!

Thanks!!

"Trasher"
IP Logged

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 12:22am »

"Why don't you quit that stinkin', expensive, cancer causin' crap."

Damn, I've turned into my mother.  Embarassed

Maybe tomorrow mom.  Grin

P.S. She is right, and she'd be proud of you for quitting.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2006, 12:23am by BobG » IP Logged

Trasher
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 12:25am »

I definately want to stay off of the cigarettes.  I can't think of a good reason to quit the other.
IP Logged

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 12:32am »

We all need to quit. But it would put a lot of people in Kentucky out of work. The state's taxes would have to be raised. Those people couldn't afford to live there any more. They'd move to Tacoma.
Think about it.

To be serious tho, glad to hear you're quitting. One of the best things you can do for yourself and Anniibelle.

Is that her real name? I've never met anyone named Anniibell. Sounds like an old time western movie.
IP Logged

Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

Not for me.  
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 12:34am »

quit smoking when i was 32, started first of fourteen cycles at 38 started smoking again in 5th cycle at 43, go figure.  My best supporter.
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Trasher
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 12:37am »

"Anniibell" is her "computer" name.  She is a southern girl though.  A local "connection" to the herb makes the expense, etc. a "non" issue.  Cigarettes are actually more expensive than the herb.  And, although I'm not a doctor, it's my belief the cigs are worse for my health than the herb.  Of course, I've been wrong before.  I guess I could be again.  But I sure do enjoy it.
IP Logged

RDubois
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

RDubois   RDubois

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 3:06pm »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Hi Trasher, a word from the "old man", which you may not want to hear. I have smoked off and on during my life, (Not in the last several years), and I still have cycles, (Just got over one). I'm surprised that you are a teetotaler, because that seems to be a fairly common thread, i.e., most Clusterheads have been significant imbibers,(Did I put that politely enough?).

I have been a Clusterhead for 21+ years. I have found that while drinking & smoking may not bring on the cluster, doing without during the cycle will attenuate the Kip level. At least I think it has for me.

I'm glad we didn't have weeds when I was young because I was somewhat of a miscreant & surely would have tried them. I did have my share of the beer, though. I've now quit that too. I think a couple of the local stores, along with Anheuser Busch, may soon have to declare bankruptcy if I stay on the wagon.

Stress is also something that seems to increase the intensity & length of an attack. Being retired makes these things easier to tolerate but nobody wants them!!!!!!!!!!

If you havn't found it yet, go to Dr Goadsby's site. He has an excellent article in the New England Journal of Medicine from a few years back. If you find him, tell you got a message from the oldest living Clusterhead. (76 in 2 weeks).

Good Luck

RED

IP Logged
anniibell
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 8:54pm »

i just want you to know that i love you and i am proud of you for not smoking the past 5 days.  i know these cycles are very hard on you....as for me too.  i am here for you and always will be.  i hope this site will find you friends and help you to cope.  i love you!!!
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

That is...
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 9:22pm »

,,so sweet!!
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
bassman
New Board Newbie
USA 

learning from all the fools and the sages

« Reply #12 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 9:26pm »

thasher just aword of advice smoking pot while on cycle to me is a big no-no and believe me i like my pot by the sounds like you have a great supporter
IP Logged

it's all right now...but later?....forget it
thats later. now is now are you going to be here now
Trasher
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 10:19pm »

I don't think I could have made it without you Anniibell. heart

Love you
IP Logged

Trasher
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 10:22pm »

RDubois - Doing a search now for the article you recommended, thanks to you and everyone else for all the support.

sayyes
IP Logged

shenke
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 2:02am »

This is what make is all worth while, you guys are great...now if my husband could just find this site....hang in there!!! You will make it. Sheila
IP Logged
Mike_in_CA
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:19pm »

I'll just throw my 2 cents worth into this fray. I was a heavy smoker (2 plus packs a day) until 3 years ago, when I quit. My headaches have come back, as bad or worse then ever.  
I don't think there are really any clear-cut ruled with these headaches...someone could say standing on their head cured their headaches, when really they just reached the end of their cycle.
If you can quit smoking..GREAT!! For so many reasons. However with some people it is possible the combined stress of quitting on top of the stress of dealing with CH could make things even tougher.
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 6:43pm »

Wink
If you smoke and do imitrex your time is limited. 8 months smoke free. Not because of anything but the fact smoking promotes among other things heart disease. Using imitrex and having heart problems is not an option.
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 6:52pm »

on Jan 31st, 2006, 8:54pm, anniibell wrote:
i just want you to know that i love you and i am proud of you for not smoking the past 5 days.  i know these cycles are very hard on you....as for me too.  i am here for you and always will be.  i hope this site will find you friends and help you to cope.  i love you!!!

headbanger
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 8:27pm »

[quote author=Mike_in_CA link=board=knowya;num=1138681891;start=0#16 date=02/02/06 at 23:19:20]I'll just throw my 2 cents worth into this fray. I was a heavy smoker (2 plus packs a day) until 3 years ago, when I quit. My headaches have come back, as bad or worse then ever.  
\quote]

It happened almost this same way for me.  I'd been a smokere and un-diagnosed CHead for 20 years.  I decided to quit smoking this same time of year two years ago.  Things were going well, but after nearly a month off smokes, I began to get my (what was called at the time) massive migrain attacks at all times of day and night.  Not just night time anymore.  

To make a long story short, what is being theorised is that my cold turkey quit did some real messing with the seratonin levels and morphed my personal beast into high gear.

All I can say is that we are all different.

Pegg
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2006, 8:30pm by Redd » IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 1:39pm »

Well, I can say that I have had these monsters in my head every day of my life. I am 42. Never have I smoked, and no one in my family smokes. I can honestly tell you that these things are not from smoking, but I am very glad to hear that you may quit. Welcome to land of cleaner air!! *chuckles*
Good luck, and many wishes for PF days, weeks, months and years!
IP Logged

Trasher
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 11:46pm »

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude.  It sure is discouraging when the patient seems to know more about the cluster headaches than the doctors.  I want to punch the next doctor that uses Migraine and Cluster in the same sentence.  It's like saying that a hang nail is no different than losing your hand.  Wake up doctors.

Anniibell has been a true blessing.  She stayed by my side for three days in the hospital, feeling helpless, but never giving up hope.  

The Superbowl, if Seattle had to lose, oh well, they had to lose.  It's a shame it was with such contraversial calls instead of a good game.  

I love you Anniibell, and I can never thank you enough for being there with me.  I will be forever indebted.

"Trasher"
 hug
IP Logged

Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 8:06am »

Trasher, Welcome back! I am VERY glad you are well enough to be able to sit in front of a computer long enough to post a message.  
We all know the frustration of doctors that dont have a clue. All you can do is keep searching.
Here's hoping you have some pf days for a while!!
Dragnlance
IP Logged

justin
New Board Veteran
USA 

what it is...

jdo201
WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 9th, 2006, 6:18pm »

i've never smoked and i'm chronic. just a hooka now and then or a cigar a few times a year. oh well. but i would imagine that if i started smoking now it would make it worse. who knows.  
IP Logged

if any clusterheads in NYC want to get together shoot me an email justinott@mac.com
Trasher
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #24 on: Feb 9th, 2006, 7:39pm »

I broke down last night and smoked a small bowl (not Cigs, but weed).

Man did I get baked after two weeks without.  It sure felt good.  But today's Kip level was higher, so I guess I best continue to wait.

Saw a new neurologist today.  I think he was still in diapers when I had my first CH.  He was about as clueless as the rest. His answer to my problems is to exercise more.  Now isn't that brillilant??!!   looser

While it didn't seem that oxygen helped (years ago when I last tried it), I'm gonna try again.  

My CH cycles usually start slow, and then get continuiously worse.  It's been pretty bad lately, but if history repeats itself, hopefully this session will end soon.

Thanks to all my new friends here for the support.  

I would not wish this kind of pain on anyone, but it is comforting to know that I'm not alone.

You are all the greatest.

wave
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss