Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 1:07am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New Member, Jan 31, 06 »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New Member, Jan 31, 06
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Member, Jan 31, 06  (Read 328 times)
Red8ball
New Board Newbie
USA 

red8ballmc  

New Member, Jan 31, 06
« on: Jan 31st, 2006, 10:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello.
I've been lurking around this site for a few days now, and just recently joined.  I've been looking for more info regarding cluster headaches, and I'm glad I foound this site.  It's comforting knowing I'm not going crazy.  I've had cluster headaches for the last 5 years now, on and off.  There's so much going on here I want to try to keep this as short as possible so I can browse around and try to learn some more things.
Anyway, my name is Eddie and I'm in the Los Angeles area.  I'm 25, and am currently going through some of the worst episodes I've ever experienced.  I had never taken any medication before, but recently started taking some pills that so far have been OK.  I'm seeing a neurologist that I hope will be able to help me in some way.  Other than that, I know I can find some comfort here.  
Hope to get to know many of you in here.

C-ya round,
E~
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: New Member, Jan 31, 06
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 11:07pm »

Hey Eddie,

Sucks your in pain but glad you found your new home!
Educate yourself and live the best you can!

What kinda pills are u referring to?

Plenty to share and plenty to learn.

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Red8ball
New Board Newbie
USA 

red8ballmc  

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 11:11pm »

I'm absorbing as much info as I can.  I'm learning a lot, and have plenty of questions for my next neuro visit next week.  
My personal doctor prescribed Amidrine.  Looking it up on WebMD, it seems ok.  I take them once I feel the onset of the headache.  Usually, they dull the pain.  SOmetimes I've even felt the pain move from behind my eyeball, to the top of my head, or just under my ear.  Those have been new experiences and I don't know what to make of them.  They've only happened once or twice, and most times the pain is just dulled.
Usually, my headaches last about 45-60 mins.  With the pills, they're more like tension headaches that last 15 mins or so.  But if I don't take them early enough, forget it.  It'll be a full blown headache.
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 11:54pm »

Hi Eddie and Welcome

DO read up on the "oxygen info" (link on left) and request, no DEMAND a script for 02.  Used properly, it's possible to kill the beast in minutes if used early-on in the attack  . . . . longer if (like at night) he gets a harder hold on you before you wake.  I can live with the beast if I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.

Works for about 70% of us.  I can't take triptans and 02 is my only abortive.  Correct regulator and mask essential.  There's much info here and many will be along with their own testimonies about 02 therapy.

You have much to read and feel free to ask any questions you may have.  

Be Safe  PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Red8ball
New Board Newbie
USA 

red8ballmc  

« Reply #4 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 1:02am »

Thanks, Richard.
I'm definatly going to lok into the O2 with my neurologist.  
One of my main questions is if anyone else here takes or has taken Amidrine.  That's what I was given by my personal doctor.  It's worked ok, and haven't had too many headaches since, and no bad ones.  I've only taken them for about a week and a half and it's been ok.  
Anyone out there got any more info.
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 1:23am »

Amidrine is a combination of Acetaminophen, Dichloralphenazone, and Isometheptene used mostly to treat headaches.  

Acetaminophen is a pain reliever and a fever reducer.  

Dichloralphenazone is a sedative that slows down the central nervous system (brain and nerve impulses), causing relaxation and pain relief.  

Isometheptene causes constriction (narrowing) of blood vessels (arteries and veins). This is important in the treatment of headaches.  

This is what I found when I googled it.   It's probably the Isometheptene in it that gives you relief.    Looks like it's used not only for migraines but tension headaches as well.

Most all of the triptans we CH'ers take are commonly used for migraines too.      

Check with your doc about the o2....it really works for alot of us.    You'll need a non-rebreather mask...and a regulator that'll deliver about 12lpm.    

Good luck,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
LadyElaine

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 7:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Try the o2 it is great suff!

Keep reading the site is full of information. Feel free to email or PM any time.

IP Logged
Red8ball
New Board Newbie
USA 

red8ballmc  

« Reply #7 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 6:47pm »

Thanks for the welcomes and advice.  I'm definately going to look into the O2.  My next neuro appt is on the 8th, so I'll know then where I go from here.

I go the same info from WebMD regarding Amidrine.  Seems to work a bit for me.

Eddie
IP Logged
PL259
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 6:56pm »

Eddie,
Glad you got here, look to the left at the links, read, print out info. Go to see the neurologist loaded with info. 02 and the med you are taking are abortives, look into meds to prevent the cycle. There are lots of them out there, sadly some work for some people and don't work for others. Sometimes it is an ordeal finding the right "mix" for you.  
Best of luck

(I love my little green 02 bottle)  Wink
IP Logged

I don't really exist.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:29pm »

Welcome to the fun house. It'll sound repetitive, redundant, and like we're repeating ourselves, but do push for the oxygen. With my e-tank under my bed, n the trunk of my car, or in my closet, I know I'm not helpless when the headache starts. And do look into the preventatives also. When I'm on cycle i take 900-1200 mg of lithium a day. It's side effects are minimal and it blocks 80% of my headaches. I do hope you find something that helps you out.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

Hey Eddie!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:57pm »

Sorry you had to find us, but glad that you did.  You  won't hear this enough times, so O2,O2,O2,O2,O2,.  Best first line abortive if and when it works.  No side effects for most.  I'm sure you've read that with lots of other great advice by now.  We're all different.  Some combination of stuff is gonna be right for you,  and not every year or every cycle.  So, stay close. someone is always here and the info is always updating. A great place to vent and share also.  You are not alone anymore.

PFDAN

Rich

IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
shenke
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 11:14pm »

Hi- Just glad you found this place. I'm pretty new here too.  I've learned a lot and am currently trying different preventive meds...nothing working for me yet.. so no advise here.  I take imitrex injections for my abortive though and it helps.  Good luck and we are here.
Sheila
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss