Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 6:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « just descovered this site »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   just descovered this site
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: just descovered this site  (Read 264 times)
SmuTTy
New Board Newbie
Scotland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

just descovered this site
« on: Feb 8th, 2006, 7:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi im SmuTTy ive just discovered this site and WOW theres so much imformation here if u can be bothered to read the threads.
i suffer CH but i must admit very mild ones compared to some that ive read abt  (altho i dont think that wen ive got 1)
im currently using imigram but ive heard so much abt O2 i was wondering is it as good as ppl are sayin it is and also how would i go abt gettin some?  i am not a chronic sufferer and i think im very fortunate that my last bout of CH was 4 yrs ago. is it me or do u ppl think /wish that you are cured from CH wen theyve passed because i forgot all abt it until it was upon me like a bolt out of the blue.
IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

Re: just descovered this site
« Reply #1 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 8:18am »

Welcome SmuTTY!
Sorry you had to come looking for this place, but welcome all the same.  
O2 is pretty much considered the universal abortive. On the days when my wife drags me to the ER, and they put O2 on me, I can tell you that it will reduce the pain by half. (When I am maxxed out on the pain scale, that is a HUGE difference)
I cannot speak for anyone else, but I pray every day for a cure. Since I am chronic, I only get a few days here and there that are actually pain free, and those frighten me, because I almost always have a MONSTER of a headache on the way, just to prove that the pf day is not a long term occurance.
I am glad you found us and I hope you can find something to help, even if it is just knowing we are here.

Dragnlance
IP Logged

SmuTTy
New Board Newbie
Scotland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 9:03am »

cheers m8
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 10:51am »

Oxygen is my first line of defense too. I'm episodic so I usually go 6 months or so between bouts. I just finished a 2 year remission and have read about people going 4-5 years between hits. I do the same thing you do, start thinking, Great, I'm over them. If they're really clusters, they always come back again. Read up on the oxygen site because used incorrectly it can be almost worthless. Used correctly it'll abort most of my headaches.  

Hope you find help on the board, they're some beautiful people here if you take the time to ask questions and educate yourself.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

Welcome!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 11:18am »

I am glad to hear that your experience with CH is not too bad, relatively speaking.  In regards to O2, in the USA atleast, medical grade O2 requires a prescription from your Dr. and in my case my medical insurance does cover the cost.  With prescription in hand, O2 can be obtained from any medical supply company.  I am not sure about the actual pricing of O2.  I do know that commercial grade alternatives are available, like O2 used for welding, that would be much cheaper if you had to go that route.  

Anyway, sorry you had to, but glad you found this place.  It's a great place to learn and share about CH, and the lights are always on.

Rich
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 3:25pm »

Hello smutty,
nice to see you down here so-to-speak!
I think I read you are using imigran tablets - am I right?  
If so they are completely ineffective for CH. They don't work quick enough to be effective and the effects don't last long enough for them to help block the next attack so they are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard if you will pardon me saying so.
There are much better triptan options available.
Imigran injections, very expensive but actually the only licensed treatment for ch in the UK so your doctor CANNOT refuse to prescribe on grounds of cost. These will work within 5-10 minutes but have a short half life of about 2 hours so won't really block any further hits.
Zomig nasal sprays, will work within 10-20 minutes or so I understand, I haven't actually used them myself. Slower acting but they are definitely worth a go as they have a much longer half life of about 20 hours (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) which means that they will continue to block further hits for you.
Frovatriptan tablets. Very slow to act taking up to two hours to kick in so next to useless for use in aborting an attack BUT.. if used as a preventative, ie if you take it up to two hours before a hit  they will block further hits for up to 26 hours.

All triptans have a limit of two within 24 hours (imigran injections are changing dose sizes so you can use three in 24 hours)

YOU MUST NOT MIX TRIPTANS. Leave 24 hours between taking differing types of triptans.

I can't stress these two points enough. Triptans work by constricting blood vessels and not just those in your head so you must be careful if you have heart problems but obviously you wouldn't be getting them except via prescription anyway.

My personal favourite abortive is o2. Its side effect free, extremely  cheap if you have a tightarsed GP and it works magnificently. I can abort a hit within 5-7 minutes.
You need to be using it at a high flow rate of 15 litres per minute and you should use a non rebreather mask. This is what makes it work and anything else is just not as effective.

Obviously there are alot more options but I don't want to bamboozle you straight off. Ask all the questions you like, we will help all we can.
Take care
Helen

IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 3:40pm »

on Feb 8th, 2006, 7:55am, SmuTTy wrote:
is it me or do u ppl think /wish that you are cured from CH wen theyve passed because i forgot all abt it until it was upon me like a bolt out of the blue.

I have been PF for almost three months now. It really becomes a clouded memory just how bad the pain is.You remember real quick when they come back though, don't you?
IP Logged

Life may not be good, but I think it beats the alternative, and if it doesn't, we'll find out soon enough
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 3:44pm »

imnotbub thanks for sticking around, it means an awful lot to those of us who aren't pain free and to those of us who are new to hear the GOOD stories of people getting to pain free time, gives hope to us all!
Glad you're here  Kiss
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 3:53pm »

wave

I love these damned things,  

thanks Helen
IP Logged

Life may not be good, but I think it beats the alternative, and if it doesn't, we'll find out soon enough
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss