Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 8:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Unpredictable pain... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Unpredictable pain...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Unpredictable pain...  (Read 327 times)
Drained
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Unpredictable pain...
« on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 9:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been having clusters for appox. 3 weeks now.  The last occurence was 5+ years ago.  

My first bout lasted a week, I thought I was going to die. Wished I would at 1 point.  I have a history of migraines, tension headaches, etc... so I am no stranger to pain. But this was definately different!  When I had suffered through two nights, I finally went to the hospital where the doctor prescribed me some nasal spray that was supposed to eliminate the pain. It worked for 5 minutes and never again.  Of course I went on the internet to see the traits and determined that they were clusters, but they were not normally common in women.  Naturally I also now thought I was a freak as I am female.  

After reading more recent literature I realize I am not alone and feel much better knowing that.

These clusters are bad, no nightmarish. They mostly occur at random hours throughout the night lasting about a half hour to start, now lasting up to two and a half hours. Trigger unknown (This morning was the worst yet)  I finally went to the hospital as it is now affecting my work (Lack of sleep I thought I could handle, having attacks at work...not a chance). The doctor gave me three steroid pills while I was there and said if they didn't help to come tomorrow as he had some other pills to try. He also prescribed amitryptilene to help me sleep and some heavy painkillers.  So far so good.  However sleeptime will come soon, and I am dreading it.

I have read several stories on this site this evening and have wept for all of you.  I can relate Embarassed to the pain and suffering and it is no joke.  It is impossible to explain to anyone the torment unless they have experienced it for themselves.

I am praying that they will end soon, but I feel they will not.  I start to cry every time I feel the right side of my head start to heat up, my right nostril start to leak and my eye starting to swell as I know what is coming in the next couple minutes (Hell).  I feel sorry for my husband...he trys to help but knows it is impossible.

I am grateful for finding this webite to share my story as I know everyone here understands.

Thank-you,[img][/img]

Drained[/color]
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2006, 9:27pm by Drained » IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

Re: Unpredictable pain...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 9:34pm »

My standard intro:

Sorry you had to find us, but glad that you did.  It looks like you have much reading to do with all of the tips and links provided although no one has reported any universal miracle cures, maybe one of the newer regimens will work for you.  Despite the health risks associated with it, Prednisone tapers have reduced my cycles to several weeks from 12 weeks.  I use O2 as an abortive and Verapamil as a preventive with 6mg of Melatonin to help with the sleeplessness brought on by the beast and the Prednisone.
Anyway, dig in, start reading and ask all the questions you want. There are lots of great folks here who know exactly what you are going through and will help in any way they can.  

Rich
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Drained
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:54pm »

Hi Rich-

Do you find when you use 02 it actually gets rid of the symptoms temporarily?

Thanks,
Erika
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:30pm »

02 works only at full concentration. Many use the clustermax, I use a demand regulator, similar to a divers set up. Read up on the oxygen link because used incorrectly it can be almost useless. Many people have had good luck using it as a first string abortive. You start the oxygen at the first sign of the headche. For me it aborts 80 percent of them. I have to take cafergot when I start the oxygen or the headache comes back in about 20-30 minutes. Many don't have that problem. You'll probably get some short term relief from the steroid but long term usage can cause you some problems.

I use 1200 mg lithium daily when I'm on cycle, then oxygen and the cafergot when one breaks through. Reading your first post broke my heart, really hoping you find something that helps you.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Drained
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:44pm »

Thanks so much for your reply Guiseppi. I think I will try the 02 next if these new alternatives don't do the trick.  I know I can't deal with these for much longer. I can't imagine having only a 14 day break between cycles like other sufferers, that's insane! I guess when you don't have a choice, you do what you can. I'm so glad you have found something to work for you as it is a terrible thing to suffer through.

I really appreciate your advice and support.

Thank-you,
Erika Wink
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:19am »

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:34am »

Hello Drained, and Welcome home.  

I use an herb called Kudzu with great success. Used as a preventive, it helps reduce the number, intensity and duration of the hits.  Like everything, it does not work so well with every one.  
Sometimes if you slam a can of RedBull, it can abort a hit.  
Universally O2 is considered the best abortive, if used correctly.  

Hope this helps, and again welcome, and sorry you are hurting!!

Just know, you are no longer alone!!!

Dragnlance
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:38am by Dragnlance » IP Logged

Drained
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 5th, 2006, 10:28pm »

Just wanted to say thank-you to everyone for the advice.  Had a rough last few days, so I have not been on the computer much.  I am printing off the suggestions for the doctor.  Maybe something will help.  Never tried Redbull, but I'm up for anything right now.
I am also going to look into Kudzu tomorrow and see what I can find.
Back to work tomorrow, hope I can sleep.

Sleep well everyone, and thanks again.

Erika
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 6th, 2006, 8:47am »

Hi Erika,

Read bob's doc, it has great info. Guiseppi's advice is good too. Lots of good info here, so read on.

O2 does work great for me. I use a hi-flow regulator and a non-rebreather mask. You can buy the best mask here:

http://www.clustermasx.com

One more thing you need to do is watch what you eat. Many of us here have found that certain foods and drinks will trigger a headache. Alcohol is a certain trigger for the majority of us, but many have other. Some of mine are:nuts, chocolate, equal (aspartame), tomatoes, Orange juice, and of course, sleep!

Stick around.
IP Logged
Drained
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 10:19pm »

Cheesy
Marlinsfan-

I think I will be looking into O2 this week as I have been doing a lot of reading up on medications this past week.

I have been in and out of the hospital and clinic alot this past week, not to mention missing work.  They have prescribed me Cafergot this time which I took at the beginning of my third attack last night. (Was afraid to try it before) It seems to have worked.  Not sure how long that will last for.  I am hoping it will work tonight as well...if needed.

Thanks for the trigger info, I drink a diet Pepsi everyday at work so I will quit that and see if it helps.

Sleep well,
Erika
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss