Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 10:20pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Your Personal Accounts of O2 and "welding" ?'s »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Your Personal Accounts of O2 and "welding" ?'s
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Your Personal Accounts of O2 and "welding" ?'s  (Read 459 times)
superhawk2300
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

Your Personal Accounts of O2 and "welding" ?'s
« on: Mar 28th, 2006, 4:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

have a question about O2, and since Jonny reminded me that an unasked question IS a stupid one here goes: what’s with the welding O2 reference on the site? It seems clear that the point is welding O2 can be used for headache abortion and I understand the site not being able to spell it out for obvious reasons, but has anyone really done this and is there any risk (besides the “risk” of the headache going away )? O2 works for me but in large doses, meaning I go through my allotment very fast. In fact, as I sit here waiting for the inevitable I have enough O2 for maybe tonight, and maybe I don’t have enough.

If this is an option how does one go about getting some?  

All stories and advice appreciated - please be thorough - andadd if you see something lacking. O2 doesn't work for me as well as I think it should so maybe I am doing it wrong? There seems to be a level of inefficancy with the mask setup, like leaks and me breathing back into it?!?!

What's up with that?
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2006, 4:35pm by superhawk2300 » IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Your Personal Accounts of O2 and "welding
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 5:33pm »

Many folks use welding O2. It is cheaper than "medical" O2 and doesn't require a prescription. Just don't tell the supplier that you want to breath it. It will take an adapter to fit the welding regulator threads to the medical threads. I can't remember what the fittings is right now but I'm sure someone will be here shortly to explain. Welding O2 is the same as medical O2. It all comes out of the same tank.

To get you started here's a copy and paste from another string. Hope Barry doesn't mind that I did this.

on Mar 21st, 2006, 11:02pm, Barry_T_Coles wrote:

Some Do’s & Don’ts: Make sure you get a non re-breather mask, that way you are sure of getting the best quality air.
Don’t use the strap on the mask; better still remove it completely, that way you remove the risk of falling asleep with the mask still on once you have aborted the hit and as you will understand we get little enough sleep and our body will take any opportunity to catch up on some badly needed ZZZ’s

I have mine set for a flow rate of 10 litres/ minute and the regulator set at WELD, I leave the settings alone and simply turn the main valve on when needed, that way as soon as you need to get on the gas there’s no mucking around just turn it on & start huffing.
As for the amount you will use that will depend on how often you need to get on the gas, but as a not so accurate gauge I emptied my first bottle after 12 months but I was over the cycle as I knew it and have only been hit at low Kip levels since ( it appears that I may have turned chronic as I am still shadowing and get hit as soon as I have a beer) I would guess that if you are going through a normal 8 – 12 week cycle you would go through 1 “D” size bottle in that time and possibly more, once again that will depend on how badly you are getting hit, only time will tell as we are all different in how this tricky little shit effects us.
A “C “size bottle is a handy size if you travel a lot as I do & I am looking at getting one myself as the D is a little bulky.

Best of luck
Barry

IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
SteCo
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 6:39pm »

Following on the previous post.....

If you can get a script for O2 from your Doc.....your O2 supplier should be able to provide several tanks. I am fortunate in that my ins. provider does recognize O2 as an abort. for CH. From what I have read many do not see it that way..why I have no clue. If I did not have "med" grade o2, I would not hesitate to use welders stuff, which is the same, like BobG states.  

I have six tanks.....I forget which size they are called but they are a little higher than my knee. This way I always have o2..anywhere I go...I can tackle about 3 hits out of one tank.

Check the link on the left of this page....."oxygen info." shows a pic of a non-rebreather mask..just to be sure you have the correct thing. When you breathe out, the exhale is supposed to go thru the two holes on either side of the mask....when you inhale these holes close up so you just bring in o2 from the bag. Odd thing about the masks I get..and I understand they just come this way...they only have one plastic cover deal over one hole on one side....so I use a finger to cover the other hole when I inhale and release it to exhale.....(kinda like patting your head and rubbing your tummy) AND cut the elastic off of the mask.....do not use it to secure your mask...hold it up to your face with your hand ONLY. You get a better seal this way. This way if you fall asleep..and it will prolly happen..you will not breathe in a full tank of O2.  

I struggle some with my full blown hits (particularly night ones) with O2.....for me it just hurts to breathe at all....force the issue (easier said than done) and eventually you will get enough O2 in your system for the pain to begin to ease. If I can, (another easier said than done) I will squeeze the bag when inhaling. The quicker I hit the O2 the faster it seems to work for me. I generally leave mine set at about 12-13.  

Hope this answers some of your questions....
SteCo
IP Logged
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 8:27pm »

My welding supplier in town will also fill my personal E tanks for me....$4.00 per tank.  You do have to show them the prescription.  Don't need the prescription for the big H tanks.  I think I own two of them and our ranch leases two of them.

Just call around to the different shops, ask what they charge for 02 tanks.  

I can't remember what connection you need to refit a medical regulator, but you can breathe with the welding regulator....there just isn't anywhere to hook up a bubbler.  I've used that regulator many times.  Adjust it to where it keeps the bag  barely full enough for your needs.

Roxy

IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 9:38pm »

on Mar 28th, 2006, 4:34pm, superhawk2300 wrote:
O2 doesn't work for me as well as I think it should so maybe I am doing it wrong? There seems to be a level of inefficancy with the mask setup, like leaks and me breathing back into it?!?!

Follow the link and order a clustermask.  I did, and it improved my abort rate by quite a bit.  highly recommended.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~tritech2/clusterx/index.html
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 11:51pm »

I use welders O2 also. I just bought a new tank. A $165. up front investment, but I don't have to worry about expired prescriptions and stuff. Only $25. for a refill.  
Here's some O2 hints:
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1142748998
There's a link on the left, also.
pain free wishes, nani
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2006, 11:51pm by nani » IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 5:47pm »

To convert a med reg to work with welding 02..you need, a GSA-540 welding 02 connector, a 3"X1/4" NPT welding 02 nipple and some teflon tape (NPT=National Pipe Thread *This is important*)

I knew owning a welding shop would come in handy someday....LOL Grin

Email me if you need some help  Kiss

Edit to add: If you email put "02" or "CH" in the subject line or I wont open it.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2006, 5:49pm by Jonny » IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 6:40pm »

Don't buy a tank,lease it instead,then if they gotta magnaflux it or change fittings it's on their dime.    Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 6:51pm »

on Mar 29th, 2006, 6:40pm, vietvet2tours wrote:
Don't buy a tank,lease it instead,then if they gotta magnaflux it or change fittings it's on their dime.                        Potter

From a welding supply joint?

Even though you can get med and welding refills at the same place......they wont even look at you twice if they know you will be breathing welding 02....its an insurance thing.....theres no way they will convert a reg for you.

IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #9 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 7:40pm »

on Mar 29th, 2006, 5:47pm, Jonny wrote:
a GSA-540 welding 02 connector, a 3"X1/4" NPT welding 02 nipple and some teflon tape (NPT=National Pipe Thread *This is important*)

Ruh-roh...
Where does it go? On all the threads? I got my reg from RJ, and had my hubby put the whole thing together. I don't see any tape, and if I get some...do I have to get that special kind? Or is any teflon tape OK?
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 8:57pm »

on Mar 29th, 2006, 7:40pm, nani wrote:
Where does it go?  

Plumbing teflone tape, it goes on the threads that screw into the reg.

Be sure to do the soapy water test on all connections for leaks. Wink

Edit to add:.....Me thinks the "GSA" should be "CGA"

Sue me, Ill check with my gas guy tomorrow Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2006, 9:00pm by Jonny » IP Logged

- Guiseppi

thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 9:01pm »

The tape helps seal the connection Nani. Get it in the plumbing section at any hardware store. Comes in liquid as well but is fairly sloppy.  Cool
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
IpityU
New Board Newbie
USA 

Matt. 26:39

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 11:11pm »

Ok!! now I am really mad!!! Angry Angry Angry
Even more mad than the smiley guy and my computer will only let me show 3 mad faces!!!
My husband was not able to get O2 from the nuero. The ding dong doctor thought it would be "cumbersome" We did not push the fact as Jim was having only shawdows since being on Kudzu. And thinking he was ending cycle. Well after 4 full PF days..guess what?? Poor Honey!! We have a great masx from Ben, and an offer to help us out from Mr. Happy to procure a regulator...but no friggin O2!! Poor Jim is in our room right this minute having Kip5-6 and took an Imatrex for the 1st time in his life. God I hope it works. He has Imitrex nasal spray as well..I can't figure why he took the pill except he was not thinking clearly..duh! Sorry to ramble but I am really mad at that darn Nuero!! "Cumbersome" to WHO?? Tomorrow I am getting welders O2.  Help me out here:

1. What do I tell them I am going to do with it? (not breathe it, I know that much) I really do not look like a welder!  
2. What size or letter of tank do I ask for?
3. Does the O2 expire?
4. Can I lift it to put into my van? Or should I bring a helper?
5. I will pay in cash. About how much should I bring to cover myelf?

Sorry, I am a little nervous about this. I feel like I am trying to fake someone out, and I am an awful B.S.er
Jim needs this.. and I do not want to screw anything up at the welding shop.  
Thanks folks I really am mad at the Nuero!! Wish I could give him a swift, kip 10, kick, in the you know what!!! Shocked

Lizah
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 11:20pm »

on Mar 29th, 2006, 11:11pm, IpityU wrote:

1. What do I tell them I am going to do with it? (not breathe it, I know that much) I really do not look like a welder!  

You don't have to look like a welder.  Your husband is if you are worried.

2. What size or letter of tank do I ask for?

E tanks are small and cover about three hits.  H tanks will require a helper.

3. Does the O2 expire?  No
4. Can I lift it to put into my van? Or should I bring a helper?
If you get the large tanks you will need a helper

5. I will pay in cash. About how much should I bring to cover myelf?  Call ahead for pricing

Sorry,  Don't be.  that's why we are here.
They are not going to be near as worried about it as you are.

Thanks folks I really am mad at the Nuero!! Wish I could give him a swift, kip 10, kick, in the you know what!!! Shocked

Lizah

Don't worry, it's going to be easier that you think.

good luck,

rich
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
IpityU
New Board Newbie
USA 

Matt. 26:39

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 12:08am »

Thanks for the info Rich!!
I feel so much better now!
Still mad at the darn Nuero though! Angry Angry Angry Angry
Hey! I got 4 in this time!! (the jerk)

Jim is asleep finally. I will have to be "vewy vewy quiet" when I go to bed....

Seriously Rich..thanks for staying up late and taking my call for help!  

Lizah
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 3:07pm »

2) E and H tanks are medical tanks and you cant get one without a script. What you want to ask for is a 60 cubic foot tank, its the size of a scuba tank and weighs about 70 pounds when full.

Good luck!
IP Logged

- Guiseppi

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #16 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 7:41pm »

I use welding O2.  I lease a K tank from a local steel supply for $54 a year and get refills for $18 a pop.  I just walked in and said I need an oxygen tank.  I put down my money and they loaded it in my van - no questions asked.  I got a 540 regulator from Mr. Happy, a clustermasx from Ben and a extension tube so I can pace when I need to.  

I have to say, the clustermasx ROCKS!!!  

Here's a pic of my rig.  What's sad is I do more heavy breathing with this thing than with my wife.   Undecided

IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 1st, 2006, 12:40am »

http://www.monroecc.edu/depts/pstc/backup/paraoxca.htm
Some more 02 stuff
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #18 on: Apr 1st, 2006, 7:57pm »

on Mar 28th, 2006, 4:34pm, superhawk2300 wrote:
 There seems to be a level of inefficancy with the mask setup, like leaks and me breathing back into it?!?!

What's up with that?

Although getting a clustermasx is the best idea, I dont use the mask itself.  I took the reservoir bag off of the mask and breathe directly from the bag....in through my mouth, out through my nose.  There is no re-breathing AT ALL.

The clustermasx has a larger reservoir bag on it so you can get deeper breaths.  Like RJ says, when I need air I can take in way more than 15 litres a minute.  Its a good idea to increase the flow rate above 15 lpm if possible.
PF wishes and let us know how it works for you
BMonee

IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 2nd, 2006, 3:32am »

on Mar 28th, 2006, 5:33pm, BobG wrote:

To get you started here's a copy and paste from another string. Hope Barry doesn't mind that I did this.

Bob I dont mind at all, anything I post here is for anyone and everyone to use, recomend or otherwise.  

Here's a couple of links that may help, with thanks to Mr Happy.  

http://www.mushys.com/kiwi/bubbler2.jpg  

The more we can share our experiences the better off we are all going to be.  
Kind Regards  
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss