Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 8:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hello folks »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hello folks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello folks  (Read 267 times)
Mags
New Board Newbie
Spain 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hello folks
« on: Jun 26th, 2007, 3:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone, I'm Mags - a middleaged woman who for the past 6 - 7 months thought she was loosing her mind.  Went to see my GP just before Christmas last year with the most horrendous headaches and panic attacks,  he basically said I was imagining everything - to me, it's extremely difficult to imagine a pain in your head so bad that you feel like bashing your head against a brick wall.

I got nowhere with the GP and being at my wits end -could it be something I was eating that was causing all of the problems? I thought to myself so off I went and had a Food Intollerance Test - 6 months down the line, a lot of problems I had have now gone but not the headaches.  Off I went back to my GP - ready to have a go at him if he said it was all in my imagination - but no - he was really nice, listened to what I had to say and told me he is fairly sure that I am having cluster headaches.  He has put me on betablockers to start with and wants to see me again next week.

All of this is new to me, have not heard of cluster headaches before - I was sure I was having migrain attacks as some of the symptoms are so similar.

I have read through some of your threads and it has eased my mind a little, I was convinced it was something more serious, well, to be perfectly honest at the moment I still have my doubts, each time I have an attack, which is more often than not at the moment, I think something awful is about to happen.

As I have only just found this site and not had a good look through everything yet, can anyone tell me what causes these headaches and how do you go from not having any problem like this in your life to having full blown pain in the head and feel like smashing your skull to pieces to relieve it?

Sorry if I have gone on a bit  Huh
IP Logged
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

Re: Hello folks
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 4:50pm »

Hello Mags!!

Welcome aboard!! Bienvenida a bordo!!!

First of all, I am glad you found this place, from now on it can be your second home. Wink

But I am sorry that you have being diagnosed with our terrible condition.

After 20+ years of having these pains, all I can say is that they  seem to be caused by a "faulty" Hypotalamus.

How do we t live with these? well, we have to live with this, we can't let the pain to rule our lives. You have to take each day at the time...

you can visit www.ouch-us.org to get very useful information about cluster headaches.

In the meantime, read, read a lot, in this site you will find, lots of information and above all support, there are a lot of nice, gentle and caring people in this site.

Hope you get relief soon. Pain free wishes for you!

Ojala y puedas tener alivio muy pronto!

Rosy.

IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 8:14pm »

Wecome Mags,  

Here is a link to start you off with.  I have more information links but don't want to flood you right now.

http://www.miqel.com/clusterheadaches/clusterheadaches.html

CH is  caused by a deformed Hypthalmus gland.  After you are diagnosed properly, please ask your GP for a script for oxygen.   It is the first line abortive for many of us and I would not go anywhere without my tank.

Any Dr. who tells you that this pain is all in your mind needs to be dismissed by you. PRONTO!

You are among friends here so please feel free to ask any questions that come to you.  Your questions are important to us and we'll try to give you clear and responsible answers.  

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Linda Howell
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2007, 8:15pm by Linda_Howell » IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 9:48am »

Hi Mags!
Although your flag says Spain you "sound" like a Brit - are you an ex-pat or do you still have a home here? I ask as I will be able to suggest things better accordingly!

We'll get you sorted!
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 10:12am »

Agree with Linda that a new doc is needed--if you have options.

Using the following article as your "authority" you may be able to obtain more effective treatments. But also explore the buttons on the left for other resources and we can steer you to more material as you post questions.

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2007, 10:14am by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Shedz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

OUCH UK MEMBER

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 10:18am »

Shame you had to find us Mag's, but you in the right place for support and advice, welcome aboard Wink

Paul.
IP Logged

I push my fingers into my eyes, It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache, But it's made of all the things I have to take, Jesus it never ends it just works its way inside, If the pain goes on, I AM gonna make it.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xps7AM8HbjE
Mags
New Board Newbie
Spain 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 6:45am »

on Jun 27th, 2007, 9:48am, LeLimey wrote:
Hi Mags!
Although your flag says Spain you "sound" like a Brit - are you an ex-pat or do you still have a home here? I ask as I will be able to suggest things better accordingly!

We'll get you sorted!
Helen

Yes Helen, I am an ex-pat, sold up lock stock and barrel and moved over here a couple of years ago.

It is not nice that so many other people suffer from this horrible condition but at the same time it is really nice to know I am not 'alone' with this. I would not wish this on anyone.  Many thanks to all of you for your replies - it is good to know that there are people out their who fully understand what I am going through and there is a light at the end of the tunnel in getting some sort of relief from this.
IP Logged
GrandPotentate
New Board Veteran
USA 

mmmmmmmmmm

« Reply #7 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 11:08pm »

On the one hand, we can't be too hard on the GP's.  This is pretty rare, and many GP's won't encounter a CH patient very often.  Find a neuro who does his homework!

I once had the pleasure of traveling with someone who had one of those nasty dibilitating diseases which was essentially a long dragged-out death.  I asked how she could remain so cheerful.  She replied that everybody gets something, and that it just happened to be her "thing".  It did wonders for me - I guess CH is my "thing".

I'm glad you found the site.  Too bad you need it.  You find yourself in the company of a lot of folks who share the same "thing".  We're all wired a bit diofferently, so read a lot and find out what helps for you.
IP Logged

Jon
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss