Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 8:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Newbie Poster, not to CH. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Newbie Poster, not to CH.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newbie Poster, not to CH.  (Read 314 times)
SmoothSippin
New Board Newbie
USA 

Newbie Poster, not to CH.
« on: Jul 17th, 2007, 1:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all, I would first like to thank all of you that support this site. I have read it may times during my episodes over the years, and the advise here has been great. The best being Melatonin. However, I have never posted. I guess I am out of the shadows (not THE SHADOWS) now.

I am now back after 1.5 years PF. And they are faster then ever at catching me. My doc gives me Zomig nasal and that will help if I catch it in the first 5 min before the real deal happens. We are trying Topamax now (just started).  

I am really interested in trying oxygen but my doc will not prescribe it unless we know it will work. Hence he wants me to go to an ER when I get a headache. He does not seem to get the fact that at home I am close to 30 min from any hospital.  

I am a pretty handy person and armed with the right information, I am sure I can figure this out. I have welded before, and I assume this is the same stuff in a non-pretty container?? correct??. Are there some good posts or sites I can be referred to?  

I would like to add that I have suffered this crap for 20 years. I am eposidic with the worse cluster lasting 7 months. I never want that again. For those with this ailment (especially chronic) , you have my deepest sympathies.
IP Logged

I pray to become the person that my dogs believe I am.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Newbie Poster, not to CH.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 3:03pm »

Welcome to the board! You definitely need the oxygen. The problem is it has to be started at the beginning of your head ache. For me, if I let the headache get established, it won't reduce the pain. If I start it as soon as the headache starts it's damn near 100% effective as an abort.

Yes your welding 02 is identical to medical 02, comes out of the same big tanks. Your problem is a delivery system. For 02 to work you have to be inhaling 100% oxygen with NO OUTSIDE AIR. If you combine outside or re breathe your air it dramatically lowers the effective rate of the oxygen. There are rigs to adapt the welding rigs to a decent mask, hopefully one of the really smart people will come along behind me and explain the details.  

If your doc keeps fighting you on the oxygen, DUMP HIM!!!!! I hate to be rude but any doc who won't prescribe oxygen for clusters is living in the dark ages and is liable to put leeches on you to cure you. By all means tell him I said that!!!! Grin Grin\

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
SmoothSippin
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 3:27pm »

If leeches worked, I would be using them. They are cheap Smiley. Not to mention good for bass. I found some info (oxygen info) on the site. If there are any places I can order the delivery method items, please let me know.  

Thanks for the response
IP Logged

Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 3:34pm »

30-min from a hospital suggests you may be in the sticks??? If so, perhaps a volunteer fire dept. would be willing to work out a trial for you--in exchange for a $ donation.  

The doc's caution is a puzzle since this is a relatively benign treatment. Have you asked what he is concerned about? Perhaps we could feed some experience to him, via you, if we knew what he is concerned about.  

Print this and give to him. Coming from other M.D.s may influence him. He will recognize the source as a mainline medical journal from the National Library of Medicine.
----------

Headache. 2005 Jan;45(1):98. Related Articles, Links  

CLUSTER.

[No authors listed]

Rozen TD. High oxygen-flow rates for cluster headache. Neurology. 2004;63:593 The two most effective cluster abortive agents are injectable sumatriptan and inhaled oxygen. Because most cluster headache sufferers are cigarette smokers and at high risk of coronary artery disease, many develop contraindications to triptans. Oxygen, the safest of all cluster therapies, is not effective for every patient. In Kudrow's landmark study, 75% of patients responded to 100% oxygen at 7 L/min, although only 57% of older chronic cluster headache patients had relief. A recent study documented a gender difference in response to oxygen because only 59% of female cluster patients responded to oxygen, whereas 87% of men did. In most textbooks and articles on cluster headache treatment, patients are instructed to use 100% oxygen via a nonrebreather face mask at 7 to 10 L/min. The rationale behind this prescribed oxygen-flow rate is unknown but has become doctrine since the Kudrow study. Prescribing higher flow rates of oxygen up to 12 L/min has recently been suggested, but there is no documentation that this may improve efficacy. Higher oxygen-flow rates (up to 15 L/min) are not known to benefit cluster headache patients refractory to standard oxygen therapy. Three cluster headache patients who demonstrated no response to standard oxygen therapy were exposed to higher flow rates of oxygen (14 to 15 L/min) to assess response. Comments: Once again, Dr. Todd Rozen's observations will change my clinical practice!-Stewart J. Tepper, MD I have questions: Were these empirical observations or do Drs. Kudrow and Rozen know how rate of flow affects oxygen delivery? Is oxygen uptake higher with higher flows? After all, 100% oxygen is 100% oxygen unless under hyperbaric pressure! Perhaps higher flow rates dry the nasopharyx to a greater extent. If patients perceive a higher flow rate, might this be an enhanced placebo effect? It seems like an interesting study to be conducted, and it would be useful to test if using nasal cannulae is just as good. Pulse oximetry and arterialized capillary blood gases could be used to monitor oxygen saturation and CO(2) retention/carboxyhaemoglobin levels in smokers.-David S. Millson, MD.

PMID: 15663630 [PubMed}
----------------
Neurol Sci. 2004 Oct;25 Suppl 3:S119-22.

Cluster headache: symptomatic treatment.

Torelli P, Manzoni GC.

Headache Centre, Section of Neurology, Department of Neuroscience, University of Parma, Via Gramsci 14, I-43100 Parma, Italy. paolatorelli@libero.it

The clinical management of cluster headache (CH) attacks requires a symptomatic treatment that is rapidly effective in resolving or significantly reducing symptoms. First-choice drugs for the symptomatic treatment of CH are subcutaneous sumatriptan at a dose of 6 mg and 100% oxygen inhalation at a rate of 7 l/min for no more than 15 min. Sumatriptan acts by suppressing pain and the accompanying autonomic phenomena, with no substantial differences in its mechanism of action between episodic and chronic CH. The drug can be used for prolonged periods without loss of efficacy or safety and its side-effects are generally mild or moderate. Oxygen inhalation has a number of advantages over drug therapy: it is free from side-effects, has no contraindications--unlike sumatriptan, it can be used in patients with cardiac, cerebral or peripheral vascular disease and with kidney, liver or lung disease--acts rapidly and can be administered several times a day. Its disadvantages are that it is scarcely practical and may induce a "rebound effect". Sumatriptan nasal spray, zolmitriptan and dihydroergotamine nasal spray are scarcely effective. After the introduction of sumatriptan, ergotamine tartrate has been relegated to a secondary role in the symptomatic treatment of CH. Among other non-drug and topical drug treatment options, hyperbaric oxygen therapy and the intranasal application of 10% cocaine hydrochloride and 10% lidocaine in the sphenopalatine fossa have also proved effective.

PMID: 15549518  

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2007, 3:39pm by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 7:23pm »

Hi Smooth wave

Have a look at the link to Mr Happy's site at the bottom of my post, there's a bit of info on o2 there.
Good Luck.
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 10:12pm »

Welcome aboard Smoothsippin!!

I see the guys already got you some info, check out the O.U.C.H. website as well for information about welders oxygen.

Hope you get to feel better soon!

Rosy.

IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18th, 2007, 7:38am »

Get a referral to competent Neuro, Then you'll get ur oxygen.  

PA
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 18th, 2007, 3:03pm »

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my GP.  She wouldn't perscribe O2 for me and suggested I take my Kip 8/9 for a ride to the local hospital.  Yea right.  Shocked  

Anyway, I asked for a referral to a Neurologist.  She picked the right one.  He was up on the latest CH research and treats other with the same condition.  I got the perscription I needed. Grin  

Good luck...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 4:43am »

Welcome! Smiley

I'm so glad that the beast let you have PF time and I'm sure that you will  be PF soon again! Smiley

I do hope that you will get that 02. I can't even imagine you driving 30 min way while getting hit... Shocked  

Lots of PF wishes,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

SmoothSippin
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 9:49am »

Thanks for the info. I found a pdf on OUCH that was very helpful. If someone else is reading this thread and needs similiar information, search that site for "oxygen".  

As for the me, I will probably take matters into my own hands for the O2. Doctors just p*ss me off anyway. All they want to do is make me a guinea pig it seems. I guess O2 would not make reps happy?? Not sure, or maybe it is just mine. Heck, they charged me to phone in a prescription for Zomig spray when I was down for the count.  

So, until I find a new doc, I think my welding experiences will come into play here. Heck, the cost will be cheaper than the Zomig overage that I need. (My insurance will only cover 6 sprays a month. I can burn that in  less than a week.) If it works I will be happy. If not, well I bet I can find someone that could use the equipment. Not to mention I will have another tank. Smiley

BTW, anyone using this "clustermasx"? Where did you get it?

Also, anyone got a good doc in Central Ohio?

Thanks all.
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 10:37am »

Clustermasx rules! And you will likely be able to find a regulator that can delvier 10-15 lpm.

Get it here: http://www.clustermasx.com/

I think they use paypal and ship pretty quickly.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
SmoothSippin
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 11:32am »

Do you use a humidifier? I think I need a Salter(labs) 7900 but I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss