Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 2:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « my husband »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   my husband
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: my husband  (Read 340 times)
puppylove41
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

my husband
« on: Jul 19th, 2007, 9:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My husband was told today he may have C. H. we never heard of it the doctor told me to check online and I found this site. Been on here reading for about 6 hours now. Well here is my question. Are the pains he has shooting through the right side of his head what you are calling shadows?
 His right eye is shut tight and has been since June 28th this time. It seems the pain is getting worse each time.
The doctors thought he had Myasthenia then they said no it is Blepharospasms, now today C.H. It started 2 years ago and he would go to bed and after sleeping about a hour or so he woke up with pain in his head, when he tried to lay back down it hurt to much so he just gave up.
I have taking him to 3 Neurologist, Neuropthalmologist, Had MRI, CT, blood work, everyone was checking the eye thing, now we are not sure it is the eye maybe it is C.H. working on the eye. He is talking about trying to get disability because it is getting so hard for him to work. He is a maintenance man. He is tried all the time, but if he stops working we won't have insurance to pay for his meds.  
I think this is a catch 22 you can't get disability is you are working, but you can't buy your meds. if you stop working. what do you do? Has anyone tried the disability thing? Sorry so long but we know nothing about what is going on just he is hurting. This is a man who I have always said is a  workaholic never missed a day, now he has to push himself to keep going each day. Has anyone ever had their eye shut this long like I said above this is since 6-28? The first day this happens he does nothing but sleep it is like someone pulled the plug out of him. Maybe he has more then one thing going on here. We are going to the family doctor next Wednesday. Any info would be apprised.  Thanks Rena
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

Re: my husband
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 10:49pm »

We are not doctors and do not diagnose.  
That being said. Have him take the clusterquiz on the left. Post the answers. We do like to help.
Your doctors can diagnose CH, however it is quite uncommon and usually you will get a referral to the neurologist. He in turn will interview and conduct an initial exam. This will lead to an MRI to rule out other causes of headache. You have done that.
  Typical symtoms include Horners syndrome...which is the eyelid sloughing down and tearing.
 Caffeine will sometimes help abort individual attacks. Drink it strong and lots of it.
  Quote:
Are the pains he has shooting through the right side of his head what you are calling shadows?  

No, that would be the stabbing ice pick and are VERY painful.
What meds is he on and what results do they garner?
CH will not kill you and many people work through them.
http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf
Here are some common treatments.
let us know  
all the best
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go Cubbies  / even though they suck

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 10:55pm »

I am sorry about your husbands pain Rena,

Most of what you describe sounds like CH.But I don't understand the thing about the eye since 6-28 being shut tight.Did his doctor say he was chronic or episodic.Did he put him on any preventives or give him any abortives like 02 or Imitrex.These are things you need to ask your doctor.I wish you good luck.Keep us posted.

Dave
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 8:12am »

Hardly need to comment that getting a good diagnosis is so often difficult!

Since you are considering some type of headache, suggest you work with a doc who has a special skill/interest. We have too much experience with competent neurologists who lack the skill/experience.

1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. http://www.achenet.org/physicians/   On-line screen to find a physician.

5. http://www.headaches.org/consumer/index.html Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder"Wink which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
puppylove41
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 3:21pm »

The doctor gave my husband Topamax yesterday.
I am starting to think he has 2 different things wrong with him. From what I am reading he has C.H. like the neuro said yesterday. He said the shooting pain in his head feels like an ice pick hitting him, but there is also another pain that wakes him up at night.

The eye shuting is Blephospasm, like they were looking at before yesterday.
We have been to 3 doctors in Pa. 3 in NJ,  
We are going to family doctors on Wed. and I will ask her then about all this.
The neuro just said look it up online when you get home, so that is where we stand right now.  
Thanks for any reply I know this is not a site to find out what is wrong. I was just wondering if anyone else had the eye shut like him. Or is as tried all the time.  Huh We are just confused right now.
IP Logged
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 4:22pm »

like you just said he can be suffering from two or three things at once. At least he has being given something but he needs an abortive for the pain (triptans, O2).  
If he is in maintenance field he problably knows where to get O2 (welders type). Check the link to the left under oxygen info. It is very helpful for a lot of us and it might help him also.  
I had those Ice picks pain  not in my eye but in the back of my head and yes they hurt!! it feels like a needle shock and come and goes.  
You are doing right and going to the Doc to get his eye problem taking care of should be a  priority.

please let us know how he is doing and what the Doc tells you.

Rosy.

IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 8:04pm »

Hi Rena,

So sorry for your husband's (and your) pain right now.  It sounds like you're being the perfect support for him by researching and learning as much as you can.  

Read, read, read - and follow jb's link given above.  It saved my life a number of years ago.

I can only tell you that during my very first cycle, I had a terrible eye droop that lasted about 12 weeks.  It wasn't slammed shut, but it looked like I'd had a stroke.  I also had a nearly constant low-medium grade pain in my temple and eye (I now know those are shadows).  After 12 weeks - poof! - gone - for about 4 years.

The best thing you can do at this point is get started with a proper diagnosis - preferably by a neurologist who specializes in headaches.  He could very well have more than one type of HA going on.  Though with the sudden onset, it's hard to say for sure (as said we're not doctors here).  One thing we've all learned is that everyone is different and responds to different things.

Hang in there and keep us informed.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
puppylove41
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 26th, 2007, 2:27pm »

Angry
We went to the doctor last night and all she could tell us is that it may be 2 things my husband is dealing with. Well is may be 3 the right side of his face is numb and he told her this. She just can't figure out if it is 2 different things why they seem to go together, like when the eye opened and he got the ice pick pain on right side the eye shut right away again. So I am going to check out other doctors on here and keep trying till we run out of chooses. I e-mail someone who has the Blepherospsam, and she said she does not get the pain in head. So everyone has help with their answers but the doctors. They just keep giving more pills, and we are not sure what is really going on. But again thanks all and as of right now I will keep checking on here for any news. Good luck to all and a PF night. Undecided
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss