Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 12:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Any Ideas? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Any Ideas?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Any Ideas?  (Read 291 times)
WhatIsTHAT
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Any Ideas?
« on: Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey board!

Glad to have found you.

I am looking for some opinions on what the F?? I have.  I realize I need a neuro to really diagnose, but I am wondering if 1) anyone has anything similar, and 2) if anyone knows what the hell it is that I have.

Since I was around 10 I have had what I always believed to be like a mild migraine.  I say mild because I know others that have migraines and puke and are bed ridden from them.  These haeaches generally last about 8-12 hours if untreated.

Mine are USUALLY not that bad, more of a dull ache that tends to throb behind my left eye and temple.  I do get slightly nautious, and very flemmy.  They range in intensity from completely functional, to I need to lay down.

Here is one weird thing that got me to this board.  They are extremely patterned.  They tend to come every week on Thursday morning.  Occasionally if I dont eat, or drink too much, I can change my pattern to a saturday/sunday for a few weeks, but they always go back to Thursdays.

OK, next for where I think I have some form of a cluster.  When I was 15 for a 2 week period I got the same type of headache, only waaaay more intense.  It felt like my eyeball was being crushed by a vice.  These lasted for anywhere from 1/2 hour to 3 hours and hit 2-3 times per day for 2 weeks, then went back to my normal lighter Thursday headaches.

I have had these "cycles" every 4-5 years since religiously.

In reading this site, I don't get nearly the devastating pain that some report.  Even at the worse in cycle, I do not get that horrible ice pick feeling, its really bad in that I really feel like my eye is getting crushed badly, but I don't think i would describe it quite as bad as some do.

For my "off-cycle" migraine type headaches I take a maxalt and within 30 min. it is completely gone.

Its almost as if I have some form of a migraine/cluster whcih I did not know existed.

Any ideas?

THANKS!

IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23rd, 2007, 9:13am »

Hey What!  Man I see some serious Abbot and Costello posts in your future  Grin  I'm glad you found this site.  I'm sorry you had to.  Either way, welcome to the Family.

It's not uncommon for folks to suffer from multiple forms of HA.  That is one of the things that makes diagnsis so difficult.  It sounds to me like you have hit the jackpot so to speak.  Time to buy a lottery ticket.

Anyway, take your symptoms to the cluster quiz link on the left panel.  Focus your answers on the cluster headaches you have.  Like you said yourself, there is no substitute for a proper diagnosis by a qualified Neurologist familiar with CH.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:41am »

And to really help with that diagnosis you need to keep a headache diary, the details that really help in the diagnosis are:

When the headaches start, how fast they build, how they rate on the KIP scale, (on the left side of the board). how fast they peak, how long they stay at peak, what you've taken and whether it had any effect.  

There is really no way to "diagnose" CH, it's more a process of eliminating everything else. Do take the cluster quiz on the left and start keeping track of everything in the quiz that applies to you. It'll all be a big help for a proper diagnosis. There are several on the board who get migrains and CH, (damned cruel in my humble opinion)....they'll be along shortly I'm sure. Good luck!!!!

Guiseppi

IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
WhatIsTHAT
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23rd, 2007, 4:37pm »

Thanks for the responses!

While it definitely sux to get what I believe to be both Migraines and Clusters, I feel lucky to so far not get either nearly as bad as some seem to get them.

Some of the stories of the Kip 10's are horrible.  

If I had to rate my in cycle HA's, I would put them on a 7-8 level.  That is by no means fun and my two weeks of them completely dominates my life, but I guess I feel fortunate not to have 10's, and that its only for 2 weeks and 4-5 years in between.

God Bless any of you are chronic or get these nightmares more frequently!
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #4 on: Jul 23rd, 2007, 9:34pm »

I have migraines and Ch and a few other sundry headache types. yes, please get to a neuro to help you sort it out.

Have you ever tried Oxygen for the ones you think are clusters? I have .... and for me it sometimes helps my migraines as well. So keep that in mind to ask the neuro to try.

be well and PF!
-lionsound
IP Logged
WhatIsTHAT
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jul 24th, 2007, 9:14am »

on Jul 23rd, 2007, 9:34pm, lionsound wrote:
I have migraines and Ch and a few other sundry headache types. yes, please get to a neuro to help you sort it out.

Have you ever tried Oxygen for the ones you think are clusters? I have .... and for me it sometimes helps my migraines as well. So keep that in mind to ask the neuro to try.

be well and PF!
-lionsound

Never tried O2, but next "cycle" I will.  Interesting thing I do remember was last cycle I remember trying to shadow box as hard as I could during the HA to get trhough the pain, and it actually went away.  It was one of the last ones I had during that cycle so I never got a chance to try it again.  But in reading, I think  the vigorous exercise is supposed to work in a similar way to the O2.  Will try it next cycle.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24th, 2007, 10:11am »

Before I had a decent diagnosis and oxygen, I'd go for a half hour run as soon as I got the first shadows. many times I could abort the headache that way. I gotta tell you, kicking back with an 02 mask is MUCH easier. Hope it proves as useful to you!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 24th, 2007, 4:17pm »

Hi What, and welcome.

It sounds as though you could have CH, along with other headaches.  Nobody can tell for certain until you get a complete diagnosis.

Various medications work on CH, but not on other types of headaches, and vice versa.  Some medications that may be prescribed could be extremely harmful, depending on what is causing your headache pain, so it is vitally important to get that firm diagnosis.

In the meantime, you've found us, so stick around and read.  There is a lifetime of experience and knowledge from the people here.  We'll do all we can to help get you sorted out.

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 24th, 2007, 7:57pm »

HI WElcome aborad!!

I do have different kinds of HA, migraines, episodic clusters, sinus HA's and ice picks.  Grin. and I can tell you not all meds work for all, but I find that O2 helps with most of them so why not give it a try?

You need to get a proper diagnosis so you can have access to meds and testing.

Please stay around and let us know how you are doing.

Good Luck and PF wishes for you!

Rosy.
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss