Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 12:42am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « NUG (New Guy) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   NUG (New Guy)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: NUG (New Guy)  (Read 311 times)
Asa
New Board Newbie
USA 

NUG (New Guy)
« on: Jul 27th, 2007, 10:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I first got hit by a Cluster Headache when I was on Active Duty...about age 36.  I just figured it was a bad headache (huh!).  About three years later I got hit again...bad!  And I still thought it was just something a person went through now and then.  A couple of years later, I was retired from the military and was driving home from a trip out of town.  I got hit so hard I had to pull over to the side of the road and vomit (a reaction my body has with these now and then).  THAT one scared me.  I figured, "well, I have a brain tumor.  I might as well go into the doctor and get it confirmed."
  I got lucky on the first try and got a doctor who knew about Cluster Headaches.  His reaction (honest to God...his words) "You poor bastard."  
  I've tried to explain CH to people and usually hear "oh, a migraine" as a response.  I finally gave up and just tried not to talk about them.  They just didn't seem to understand....at all.  
  Why I never checked about CHs on-line is beyond me.  But finally, a couple of weeks ago, I did what I thought was going to be a quick search and found this site!  You guys can't believe the feeling I got from it.  This retired military guy actually teared up reading some of your posts.  I had to log off and wait until now to write something...and I still can't get it down right.  It's like thinking you're an orphan for most of your life then finding out you have a family!..and I haven't even "talked" to any of you yet.
   I have gone through a myriad of medicines that doctors have tried on me with the usual results as many of you have espressed.  But thanks to this site I have some other medicines and methods to try AND, more importantly, a better feeling about it knowing that I'm not really alone with these.  Thanks guys.
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

Re: NUG (New Guy)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 10:47pm »

Welcome home, Asa.

Nope.  Not alone.  I remember when I first found this site after better than thirty years with CH--it was the damndest thing.  There are others--imagine that.   Smiley

Sounds as if you're on the right road.  Eventually you'll find the right combination of things to enable you to manage them successfully.  Whatever we can do to help, we will.

Pretty soon the "nosy parkers" will be asking some specific questions about the meds and approaches you've tried.  I'll defer to them in that regard.  They're a heck of a lot better at it than I am.  In the meantime, be sure to check out the oxygen link at the right, and download the pdf file at:  http://www.ouch-us.org/medications/oxygen/o2links.htm  for the User's Guide to 02.  Oxygen, properly administered, has been an effective and safe abortive for many of us.

Best wishes,

George

IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Asa
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 10:50pm »

haha!  Thanks, George.  Maybe I should get out all my old meds that didn't work and post a list now to ward them off.
  Honestly though, right now I don't mind.  It's just so nice to know there's others like me out there that I'll put up with just about anything.
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27th, 2007, 11:08pm »

Welcome,
Post the list on the meds board. Many here have had 50 plus medications on their list. Still having pain and still dealing with the demon.
http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

these are some common effective treatments.
Read and study, the more you know....
Ouch.com
Calouch.org

be good
thebb

IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
soulroach
New Board Newbie
USA 

just get me through the day

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 28th, 2007, 1:08pm »

i agree with you 100%. I too just found this site and I never cry, til I found this site! It was just overwhelming, too much input...couldn't help myself. Bawled like a baby.
IP Logged

once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 28th, 2007, 2:10pm »

I bawled too........mostly when I look at my paycheck laugh
The first impression is usually the uncanny similarity, the pain, the idea I'm not alone...then bawl.
all the best
thebb
IP Logged

soulroach
New Board Newbie
USA 

just get me through the day

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28th, 2007, 6:37pm »

Amen!!(esp. the part about the paycheck, that's a whole other kind of pain)
IP Logged

once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Asa
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 7:39pm »

I guess that's another good thing about being retired from the military...I get my meds for free IF the nearest base has them.  My current doctor hasn't prescribed Imitrex nor oxygen yet, so I don't know if my base will help with either.  
   So far I've had the hi-powered Motrin (ha!..that was like shooting an elephant with a BB gun), Zolmitriptan (that one did less than the Motrin and might actually have made my headache worse), Indomethacin (as something to try and break the cycle), and currently Zebutal (a mixture of caffeine and barbituates).  The Zebutal does seem to do a little something which is more than I can usually say.
  To be honest with you guys, I have several bottles of Hydrocone left over from a couple of minor surgeries.  Yes, I know they are addictive; however, Codeine tends to knock me out.  Plus, it does dull the pain to a tolerable level...most of the time.  Don't worry and don't bother telling me...I AM careful with it.  Like I said, I still have three bottles of the stuff and have to be in pretty bad shape before I take it.
   After reading a lot of the comments here on the different meds, I am going to make an appointment with my doctor and insist on trying Imitrex.  I'll let you guys know if I had to pay for it and if it worked.  Wish me luck.
   Oh yeah, and thanks for the great comments!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who cried when they found you.
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 8:37pm »

Only a suggestion...I would insist on 02. and imitrex.
thebb
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 10:55pm »

This will start to sound like a recording!!!! DEMAND oxygen!!!! 30 years and it's still my primary and most effective abort!!! I can stop a headache, completely, in less then 10 minutes, usually closer to 6 minutes. It's cheap and effective with none of the med side effects we all hate to much!!!!

Everyone cries when they find this place...it's like damn...I'm not a freak....well okay maybe I'm a freak but damnit at least I'm not alone anymore!!!

Welcome to the board, it takes patience to find a regimen that works, but damn it's worth the effort.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
GrandPotentate
New Board Veteran
USA 

mmmmmmmmmm

« Reply #10 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 7:47am »

Yeah, what they said.  Read up on O2 and give it a shot.

Welcome to the site, sorry you came looking.

Keep in touch.
IP Logged

Jon
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 4:11pm »

HI Asa!

Welcome aboard!!

glad you find us and not you are not the only one  Wink

good to know you already have some weapons against the beast.

Hang in here, we love to hear from another fellow clusterhead  Grin

Clusterville never closes!!

pain free wishes for you!!

Rosy.
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Asa
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 8:06pm »

Oh yeah...I am DEFINITELY going to talk to my Dr. about O2.  How do you guys get it?  I mean, do you buy one tank and then have it refilled somewhere?  Or do you have to get it like a prescription being filled?  (Clueless here>Wink
  Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  Some of you sounded like you were holding back, but don't.  I'm willing to listen to all of it.  
  I'm going to be out of town for a few days, but will be back in here on Saturday or Sunday to check up on y'all.  Take care and keep the Monster away.
IP Logged
Asa
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 8:17pm »

One more time before I go....are any of you in Texas?  Do you (we?) meet any where...conventions or such?  I have never had anyone I could talk to face-to-face about these things...no one has ever understood what I meant (I know, I know.  You've ALL gone through the same misunderstanding.)    =)   Just wondering.  Thanks!
  Oh!  And about me...I'm 48, episodic sufferer since 1997, and a "leftie" (I just picked that term up in here).  Mine are completely episodic.  I might go for 6 months or more and not have one but then wham!  I'll get them for days in a row.
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 1:01am »

on Aug 1st, 2007, 8:17pm, Asa wrote:
One more time before I go....are any of you in Texas?  Do you (we?) meet any where...conventions or such?  I have never had anyone I could talk to face-to-face about these things...

Whoo boy.  You don't know the half of it.

This place is infested with Texans.  I'm sure you'll hear from all of them before long.  
 Wink

See the boards on "Richmond 2007" (we just had a big convention there) and "Meetings and Gatherings".  One of the things the folks here really like to do is meet one another.  Not that I've met anyone in person yet..... Cry

I'm working on correcting that.  

Best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss