Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 6:12pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New to your amazing website »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New to your amazing website
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New to your amazing website  (Read 1023 times)
Metalcreature
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gotta love a good Stoudt

Metalownz74@yahoo.com  
Email

New to your amazing website
« on: Jul 29th, 2007, 6:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all! Im new to this site. My name is Joe, and ive had cluster headaches since November of 1997. Im 33 and live in the Reading area of PA. When i first started getting these headaches, i pretty much got laughed at by my friends because they never heard of one sided head pain before. Id try to explain to them, and reach out, but to no avail, i pretty much got shunned. Anyway, im going through a cycle right now, and have been out of work for about 3 weeks because of it. I mean, who can work through a feeling of having someone poke your eye out with a blazing hot poker? I know i cant. But iam proud to be here where everyone understands my pain and suffering and doesnt say crap like, go take some aspirin and stop complaining, or (im sure you all heard this one before) come on, it cant be that bad?? Uhh yeah, it is, so shut it and leave me be would be my answer for those who hit me with those ignorant responses. I look forward to hearing from everyone, and helping who i can! Im very easy to talk to, and im a good listener, so if your ever up in the middle of the night, and need an ear, if im here, ill be here for you. Thanks Dj for setting this up for me, its greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2007, 6:11pm by Metalcreature » IP Logged

After the madness is over and the shadows fade...drink up, because your life you now own again.

Joey B (Metalcreature)
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

Re: New to your amazing website
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 8:44pm »

Hello and welcome,
You can too work with these things. You do need the proper meds, planning and timing is everything.
First things first is aborts. 02,caffeine,imitrex in that order. Then transitional meds. Then prevents. NO worky NO eaty... Wink  
  You will expand your knowedge here to the level that you will be able to work live and carry on. We call that kicking demon a$$. Look at the many people here that continue to live life and work. Please feel free to ask???? and learn. Help where you can.
all the best
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Metalcreature
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gotta love a good Stoudt

Metalownz74@yahoo.com  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 8:52pm »

Thanks, i appreciate that. I hate missing work, but when a cycle hits, i just feel exhausted most of the time. I think it is indeed time i get some medication for this. Ive been dealing with it without meds for far too long. The reason being, im only episodic, so i just deal, and deal and deal, until its all over. But thats the past 10 years. The next ten, i want to be prepared. Thanks for the words of wisdom, its much appreciated.
IP Logged

After the madness is over and the shadows fade...drink up, because your life you now own again.

Joey B (Metalcreature)
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 9:07pm »

WinkStudy up, you'll get it down to a system my friend. You cant just tough it through, and still work. Too much pain as you know. I'm episodic and the worst that happens is I get very grumpy and a bit lethargic.
keep up the good fight.  
http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf
thebb
IP Logged

Metalcreature
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gotta love a good Stoudt

Metalownz74@yahoo.com  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 9:12pm »

Yeah, im working toward a system, but have nothing to go on yet. Dealing with this headache is one thing, what im doing now is madness, as you know.
IP Logged

Joey B (Metalcreature)
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 9:36pm »

Hello Joe its nice to meet you - just sorry it has to be here.

Lets go back to basics so we can help you in the best way possible okay? I'm going to sound like a really nosey old bag ('cos I am) but you'll get used to it!

When were you diagnosed?

Was it by a Neurologist?

Have you ever had an MRI?

How often do you get cycles or do you have them all year around?

If you do have them for a set period of time how long does it usually last and how many attacks per day?  

Do they occur through the day/at night/ at similar times of day or randomly?

Have you ever been prescribed ANY meds for CH and did they help?

Does ANYTHING help? Cold, heat? Is there anything you do that helps you cope?

Can you describe one of your attacks? How it starts? How it builds? What you do and how long it lasts?

I don't doubt you having CH - please don't think that, its just by asking these sort of things we won't waste your time suggesting stuff you may have already done or tried and we want to help you get relief ASAP. There are different ways of attacking CH depending on how it manifests for you so we want as much info as we can get to be able to help - and trust me - we will!

Hang in there, we'll all get through this together.

Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Metalcreature
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gotta love a good Stoudt

Metalownz74@yahoo.com  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 9:58pm »

Hello Helen,

I dont think your a nag at all, just concerned and curious to how my headaches act.  

Well, i was diagnosed a looong time ago. Ive been a ch sufferer for about 10 years now. Ive had an MRI done quite a time ago. I get my headaches on one side (right side) of my head. They are piercing through my eye and the top all the way to the back of my skull. Cold usually helps more than heat for me. I sweat like a pig when i get them. My cycle lasts anywhere from 6-8 weeks, which classifies me as episodic. I never really took anything but Exedrin for this, which works once in awhile. Usually when i take it, i hope it works that one out of ten times. Ive been prescribed Duridrin for it once, which didnt even come close to touching it. Ive tried Redbull, which doesnt work for me. However (you may laugh at this) ive found that Arizona ice tea breaks up the headache, and i only get them every other day now instead of everyday. So ive been drinking it like crazy! lol  

I usually go from 12 to 18 months without a cycle. But when one kicks in, i can get anywhere from 1-3 headaches a day. I wake up, usually around 4:00 in the morning with them. Which really annoys me to no end. When i go through an attack, if its mild, like maybe a 5-6, i dont get the horners syndrome. But when they hit 8-9-10's my right eye gets bloodshot and droops, my nose runs like crazy, and my right side of my skull feels like its melting off.  Sometimes, if i get them really bad, like 9 and 10's i usually get really sick to my stomach. But that doesnt happen with the milder ch's. Right now as we speak, im getting some shadows. They come and go from time to time, to let me know its there. Right now, im heading into my 4th week. Thanks for responding to my post Helen, and if there is anything you recommend let me know!
IP Logged

Joey B (Metalcreature)
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 10:12pm »

Oh definitely always things to recommend!

"Luckily" your cycles are fairly short although I'm damn sure they don't feel like that to you! What I mean by that is that we should be concentrating more on abortives than preventatives right now. Preventatives take up to 2-3 weeks to kick in and some schools of thought have it that they can lengthen your cycle so my advice woul be if you can stay off them - do. By the same stroke do NOT suffer unnecessarily!! There are a lot of personal decisions to be made and the only person who can make those choices is you. You have to live with your head, you are the one to decide how to treat it.

That said, do you have Ins at the moment as before I go into prescriptive meds I should check as I don't want to give you useless info.

While we wait for that I'll go into some self help options for you.

You said Red Bull (or generic equivalents - cheaper!) doesn't work for you? At what point do you try it? At first twinge or do you wait and see if it ramps up a bit first? I've found through my own experience that you can't wait - you need to get that stuff down your neck asap at the first hint of trouble to get the best effect which in all honesty is true of all meds but there you go!

Strong coffee is another good option and once again chug it. This is no time for delicate manners, just pour it down your neck as fast as you can!

You're like me in that you are a cold little soul  Wink Heat - such as a steamy kitchen if I'm cooking is actually a huge trigger for me.  

Ice packs are brilliant. Frozen peas will become your best friend! One on the affected side of your head and one on the back of your neck really help.  

The one on the back of the neck helps me at any rate and I think its because the occiptal nerve runs from there, over the top of your head and down to your eye so numbing it at the base helps. This is also where they stick the needle for a procedure called a Greater Occipital Nerve Block or GON so it makes sense - to me at any rate!

If you have a car with Air Con sitting with that blasting out cold air and your face next to the vent is another useful trick to have up your sleeve.

I'm sure Charlie will be along shortly to post his technique for you which alot of people have found really helps - if you want to look it up search for dr Wrights Circulatory Technique.

We need to talk O2 as well but I'm holding fire on that one whilst waiting for the INS question!

Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 10:13pm »

MC,
You really need to get to the doc. First thing to know is that caffeine and taurine does well to abort these. Dont fool around you have to hit it at the first sign of attack or it will fail. Slam down 300 to 400mg worth of caffeine.
Energy drinks are preferred but coffee is cheaper. This will get you to the doc.
The doc will comply with an order from a neurologist with no ??? asked. You should seek a referral to a neuro and get a treatment plan. This should include abortives first line....02,02,02. 12 to 15 lpm for 20 min.
Second is Imitrex injections. Then you need a transitional med to help get you on a preventative and get you through the episode...
Helen!!! She will be along soon to aid as well.
any ????
thebb
she posted already...lol   I'm going back to my corner laugh
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2007, 10:19pm by thebbz » IP Logged

Metalcreature
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gotta love a good Stoudt

Metalownz74@yahoo.com  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 10:23pm »

Thank you guys.  

Helen: I guess your right, i didnt slam the Redbull like i should have. I know coffee works though, but i have to be careful, i dont want to get my stomach upset either. I have a very weak stomach, and if im not careful, i chuck it all up anyway. I dont have any insurance. I wish i did, but i cant afford it. I just try to deal with the pain best i can. I usually stick my face right in front of the air conditioner when an attack occurs. That always helps. But i like your method of peas on the back of the neck, and an ice pack on my head! Ill have to try that one! Keep em coming Helen, keep em coming.
IP Logged

Joey B (Metalcreature)
Metalcreature
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gotta love a good Stoudt

Metalownz74@yahoo.com  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 10:36pm »

Basically im a man of limited means.  Embarassed
IP Logged

Joey B (Metalcreature)
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 10:37pm »

I'm not Helen but Grin   No insurance no problem, most docs will accept partial payment and let you make the rest up later. They also have free samples of common abortives. The 02 can be welders 02 fitted with a regulator that has an lpm flow gauge. Non rebreather masks are dirt cheap and 02 works very well.  
You like cold. Hit down the coffee mixed with some milk or creamer.(easier on the belly) then the shower...cold.
Also a hand towel or two that is wet in the freezer is heaven.
thebb
IP Logged

Metalcreature
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gotta love a good Stoudt

Metalownz74@yahoo.com  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 10:40pm »

Hey, you dont have to be Helen, anything you have to say , im going to listen. Im sure its just as valid. Believe me, i need a new approach to these headaches.
IP Logged

Joey B (Metalcreature)
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 10:50pm »

Hey another Joe, welcome to the board. I'm also episodic and used to try to fight through the cycles on pure grit. That's just another way to say mother fu%$$%$ that hurts!!!

You've already been given some great advice, I'll just elaborate on one, oxygen. If nothing else, score a welding oxygen tank and try sucking of the hose!!!!

Pure oxygen will abort a headache for me in less then 8 minutes. I use lithium as a prevent when I'm on cycle, but my cycles last 8-12 weeks. It takes about 2 weeks to get the lithium up to a high enough level in my system that it works for me. Then it's oxygen for the break thrus. Like I said, Lelimey and Bzzz gave you soem great advice, I suspect there'll be lots more coming, welocme to your new second home!!!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Metalcreature
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gotta love a good Stoudt

Metalownz74@yahoo.com  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 11:09pm »

Guiseppi,

Im going to try oxygen i think. People say they cant recommend it enough. As a preventative, i gotta work through that and find something that will work. So...another Joe huh? Fighting through the cycles is what i have been doing up until this point. But sometimes i feel like im getting weak, because i cry like a child ( in front of my girlfriend no less). And other times i feel like im coping just fine. I need something new to try though, as dealing with this is getting old.
IP Logged

Joey B (Metalcreature)
MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go Cubbies  / even though they suck

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 6:38am »

on Jul 29th, 2007, 11:09pm, Metalcreature wrote:
because i cry like a child ( in front of my girlfriend no less)

All the advise you have received so far is excellent.I want to add 1 thing cry if you have to you need a supporter if she can't handle it you should know now cause you have a lifetime to deal with these things and you need someone by your side.I can cry like a baby in front of my wife she is the best supporter I can imagine.Good luck my friend.

Dave
IP Logged
Metalcreature
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gotta love a good Stoudt

Metalownz74@yahoo.com  
Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 7:30am »

on Jul 30th, 2007, 6:38am, MR_FLOOR wrote:

All the advise you have received so far is excellent.I want to add 1 thing cry if you have to you need a supporter if she can't handle it you should know now cause you have a lifetime to deal with these things and you need someone by your side.I can cry like a baby in front of my wife she is the best supporter I can imagine.Good luck my friend.

Dave  

She is one of my best supporters, she totally understands (or tries like hell) how these things affect me, and tells me to cry to get it all out. Thats usually when im coming down from a hit. Ill go upstairs, and sit (not lay!) in bed. Thanks for your support Dave, it means alot.
IP Logged

Joey B (Metalcreature)
MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 8:59am »

on Jul 30th, 2007, 7:30am, Metalcreature wrote:

Thanks for your support Dave, it means alot.

Thats why we are here Buddy.

Dave
IP Logged
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #18 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 4:06pm »

Hi Joe!!

Welcome aboard!!

Glad you already got some replies and you have lots of info from them.

I read you got night hits, why don't you try melatonin? it is over the counter and is fairly cheap. Reduces the amount of night hits. You have to take it between 3 and 9 mg at day. It works as a preventative not an abortive.

By all means try to get a hold of O2, welders if you can, that is what I got because I did not have insurance and it works.

I bought some ice packs (you put them in the freezer and then you grap them with a wet towel and they work pretty good (I am also a cold girl!)

Hope you manage to put some arsenal together to fight the beast.

Remember, you are not alone...

Clusterville nevers closes!!  Grin

Pain free wishes for you!

Rosy.
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2007, 4:06pm by Rosybabe » IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Metalcreature
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gotta love a good Stoudt

Metalownz74@yahoo.com  
Email

« Reply #19 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 4:12pm »

Thank you so much Rosy, Im going to get some Oxygen soon. I think my cycle is close to being over (or i hope anyway). Where can i get some Melatonin? CVS, shopping centers?
IP Logged

Joey B (Metalcreature)
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #20 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 4:51pm »

yeah and in health stores also. I am glad to hear you cycle is coming to an end, hopefuly very soon...but...once is over..please don't leave us  Embarassed
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2007, 4:52pm by Rosybabe » IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Metalcreature
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gotta love a good Stoudt

Metalownz74@yahoo.com  
Email

« Reply #21 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 4:54pm »

I WILL NOT leave this site, ever. Even if i never got had another cycle which isnt likely, i still wouldnt leave. I love the people here so far. How can i walk away from that!? lol The people in here are alot like me, easy to get along with, and very helpful. I feel at home already and its only been 2 days. So, no worries, im here.  Wink
IP Logged

Joey B (Metalcreature)
MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 8:43pm »

on Jul 30th, 2007, 4:54pm, Metalcreature wrote:
I feel at home already and its only been 2 days.

You are home bud.

Dave
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 9:29pm »

Hope your doing better today Joe.  Howzit?  
thebb Cool
IP Logged

Metalcreature
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gotta love a good Stoudt

Metalownz74@yahoo.com  
Email

« Reply #24 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 11:45pm »

on Jul 30th, 2007, 8:43pm, MR_FLOOR wrote:

You are home bud.

Dave

Thanks again Dave. Its odd having all these people at once know what your going through. After 10 years and people not knowing, its like affection overload. lol
IP Logged

Joey B (Metalcreature)
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss