Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 8:08am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « clusters on holiday »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   clusters on holiday
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: clusters on holiday  (Read 296 times)
pedropedro
New Board Newbie
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

clusters on holiday
« on: Aug 18th, 2007, 5:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi I'm back on this board after exactly two years. Currently I'm on holiday with my family in the philippines which is for me pretty much the on the other side of the globe. After two week on holiday the clusters were back in full!! Altough I brought some medicine to have at hand I didn't expect it to be like this. This cluster is much more severe than ever before. I had cluster attacks that were not fully leaving and kept stinging my head for several hours after the attack. Last night I had three attacks in a row. This is like hell on earth. I have some immigran injections with me but I only can take one every other, because I didn't bring enough. I'm also on 240mg verapamil, before 160 was always enough and now even 240mg does not seem to work. I also have the feeling it is always there even without pain.
I try to keep the spirit up because otherwise our long expected holiday is ruined for my wife and kids as well. Wat worries me the most is, like I mentioned before, this clusters are much worse than ever before. Is it common to have this increase in intensity.
Thanks for now, telling my own little story on the board is already helping me.
Since my attacks are lasting longer than before, does anybody have experience with immigran tablets instead of injections, maybe I can but them here in the phillipines. I looked for the injections, but there is not like in Europe.
Thanks again for the great board and all of your time and energy !!
IP Logged
kyitb
New Board Veteran
USA 

Get 2 birds stoned at once ...

WWW Email

Re: clusters on holiday
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 6:05am »

Imitrex was the 1st medication I was on (pills)  w/ no relief.  Everyones different though.  I'd give them a try.  Hope your holiday gets better friend!
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 4:41pm »

Verap dose is low. See this article.

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
sue_g
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 8:19am »

Hi - Sorry to here the holiday thing. I remember suffering through thoughs....
I'm new here, however Clusters are not new with me.  Bob, thanks for the awesome tips!  
Question: Do they ever end....
IP Logged

Tomorrow will be better!
pedropedro
New Board Newbie
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 9:45am »

Thnx for the support and tips. I have to look to get verapamil then, I didn't bring enough to last through the holiday (same for the imigran). But here in Manila some thing are hard to get.
Bob thank you for the link, very helpful document. I will use as reference when I will look for a doctor here to get the transcriptions.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 12:58pm »

The problem with taking a vacation is you get relaxed. Relaxing is bad. Stress is good.

IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
RayU
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Aug 20th, 2007, 1:47am »

I was initially prescribed ergotamine tablets and then Imigran/trex (sumatriptan) tablets for a few years before going onto the injections - whilst the tablets did abort my headaches they took too long to work (30 to 45 minutes) whereas with injections or oxygen I get relief in 10 to 15 minutes.
If I was unable to get injections (or O2) as an abortive and had the tablets available I would certainly take them.
In the UK the tablets are now available over the counter sold as Imigran Recovery - don't know if this will be same in Philippines.

Do hope you're able to find some relief and enjoy the rest of your holiday.
IP Logged
southwalessunshine
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 21st, 2007, 8:07am »

To answer your final question, yes unfortunately it is normal for the headaches to become worse or better at any given time.  My cycle was every 3 weeks and I got used to it over time, then 9 ( I thought it was 6 weeks but just checked my diary and it's 9) weeks ago it all changed and I get hit after hit all day, for the last 3 nights I've been getting hits through the night too.  So this is new to me and it's really tiring, so my heart goes out to you.
Have you discussed 02 with your doc before?  I have read that some people on here visit their emergency rooms for a hit of 100 % oxygen.  It might help you out?
IP Logged

keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow.
Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much.
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
Helen keller
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss