Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 12:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hey there, I'm new to site, but HA's are old news! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hey there, I'm new to site, but HA's are old news!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hey there, I'm new to site, but HA's are old news!  (Read 264 times)
sue_g
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hey there, I'm new to site, but HA's are old news!
« on: Aug 18th, 2007, 8:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Smiley Hi All,  Just looking over a few of the comments out there.  Wow!  It's hard to believe that theres so many of us out there, but yet, friends and family members that you talk to, don't seem to know anything about Clusters.  
I have been suffering from these HA for 25 years, the co2 is a great abortive.  Just changed meds from taking Antitrypeline (sp?) on a daily basis to the vermapile 120mg.  I don't like this...they are still waking me up at night, and more intense.  I'm going back to the MD to check it out!   Anyways, nice talk'n to ya all.
Sweet dreams!
IP Logged

Tomorrow will be better!
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

Re: Hey there, I'm new to site, but HA's are old n
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 9:32pm »

Hi Sue and Welcome.   I'm sure when you said C02 you meant  02 right?   Wink   100% oxygen at 12 to 15 lpm with a non-rebreather mask.

120 mg. of Verapamil is quite low..might want to ask your Dr. if you can raise that a bit.

Try the energy drinks like red bull  in the meantime..they help a lot.  Personally I like coffee so strong that a spoon stands up in it, but to each their own.

Linda  

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
sue_g
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 7:45am »

Hi Linda, Thanks for the tip!  I will ask about increasing the meds tomorrow.  Can you tell me what your daily intake is?  & at what time of day it's best to take vernapamil?  I've been reading some of the comments on this site, with that said..I drank quite abit of water yesterday...no HA last night heehaa...maybe it's just a coincidence.  
Right side - Cluster started in April, ran it's course until July. Had some dental work done late July...now it's the Left-side, I don't know if there's a connection to the dental work...who knows?   Thanks for the help! Comments would be appreciated.
IP Logged

Tomorrow will be better!
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 7:57am »

Hi Sue, sorry you had to be here but this family is here 24/7 if you need a shoulder or have any questions.

I started on 240mg of Verapamil daily and it was not enough. My Neuro upped it 360mg daily but still not enough. My heart and blood pressure were both very good so he upped it again to 480mg daily and that is working well so far.

o2 is a godsend for me. I am into my 10th month with this cycle but with the right dose of Verapamil and my o2 I am enjoying life again.  

Read all there is to read on the left of this page and feel free to ask any questions.

Barry
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

sue_g
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 8:13am »

Thanks Barry,  Questions: I'm not sure if I'm in the right folder to ask these questions, but...while taking the vernapamil.. as time goes by, can you tell/estimate when the cluster maybe over?  At that time, do you stop taking the meds...until a new Cluster starts again?  I guess I can ask about that tomorrow, with my GP.  I have a new neuro, but she is in Ottawa, 1.5 hours drive for me.
IP Logged

Tomorrow will be better!
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 8:28am »

on Aug 19th, 2007, 8:13am, sue_g wrote:
Thanks Barry,  Questions: I'm not sure if I'm in the right folder to ask these questions, but...while taking the vernapamil.. as time goes by, can you tell/estimate when the cluster maybe over?  At that time, do you stop taking the meds...until a new Cluster starts again?  I guess I can ask about that tomorrow, with my GP.  I have a new neuro, but she is in Ottawa, 1.5 hours drive for me.

Sue, you are in the right folder to ask. Do not just stop taking the Verapamil. Talk to your Doc about weening off of it gradually.  

I thought I was finished my cycle a couple of times but I was not done at all. I pay very close attention to my shadows, and as long as I am having them I will stay on my meds.

Hope you find your right cocktail, as we call it, and you get some relief soon.

Take care,   Barry Smiley
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

michael
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 2:56pm »

Hi Sue and welcome.

I used to cycle every 6 months. One on the left then one on the right.

Then the left cycle stopped so I just cycled once a year on the right

Very occasionally though, I will get a left cycle immediately after a right cycle. I will also get a very occasional lefty in a right cycle.

Hope you followed that. It is a very strange beast indeed.

Mike
IP Logged
phil_h
New Board Old Timer
USA 

one day at a time , one headache at a time.....

phh252
Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 3:23pm »

yikes
IP Logged

Angels are among us ........beasts beware !!!!!!
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 4:30pm »

Print and take to the doc to use as a tool to guide your discussion of options:

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss