Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 5:40pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Back again »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Back again
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Back again  (Read 287 times)
Tom_Thumb
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

fishingwayne42  
Email

Back again
« on: Aug 29th, 2007, 9:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It's been a while since I've been on this site, sorry.  I started a new cycle on July 8th.  After almost 3 years of remission.  I have been doing a lot of reading from you guys and just like 3 years ago, you all are wonderful people!!  For the past 7 weeks, I have had KIP 7-10 from 3-10 attacks a day.  For the past 4 days, every 2 hours.  For meds, I am on Neurontin 300mg BID, Verapimil 240mg, Imitrex injections, imitrex nasal spray, zomig 2.5 and 5 mg, and so far 12 bottles of O2. I have tried red bull, lots of caffiene, and so far nothing has come close to breaking the cycle.  WHAT NEXT??  
Went to DR today and he gave me some new samples to try:  Maxalt 10 mg and Frova 2.5mg.What is FROVA??
IP Logged
MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go Cubbies  / even though they suck

WWW Email

Re: Back again
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 10:18pm »

Hey Tom,

Sorry to hear about your latest bout with the beast sounds like a dandy.Have you asked your doc about a Prednisone taper to break that cycle.

Sorry I can't help you with Maxalt or Frova but I'm sure someone else can.

Good luck breaking that cycle.

Dave
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 11:49pm »

FROVA® (frovatriptan succinate)
MAXALT® (rizatriptan benzoate)

They are related triptans to Imitrex (sumatritan succinate).  They work in much the same way.  Since they are oral medications, they take longer to work than the nasal sprays or injections.  I have not tried Frova, but Maxalt comes in a quick dissolving lozenge and it works in about 30 minutes.  

In my humble opinion, 30 minutes in hell is too long.

Good luck to you,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 2:32am »

Tom,

Sorry the beast came back and has been so pesky...  Neurontin (gabapentin) worked for me but I needed to titrate up to 900-1200 mg a day to get any relief.  On a few days it took 1500 mg to get any preventative effect.  It almost sounds like you are now in a state of polypharmacy with that many preventatives and abortives in your system at the same time.  It's real hard to tell what's working when it finally works for you.

The good thing going for you is that it sounds like you've got a doc that's willing to work with you to find what works best.

How are your aborts going with O2?  We've got some heavy hitters able to knock down high Kip scale attacks in 15 to 20 minutes at 15 LPM...  Some of us are using a high flow rate O2 therapy at 25 LPM and it appears to shorten the abort times considerably.  I was aborting  attacks in my last high cycle at 25 LPM in 5-7 minutes.

We've got an O2 User's Support Team on the OUCH website at the folloing URL:

http://www.ouch-us.org/medications/oxygen/o2info.shtml

There's a link in there under O2 Information to a User's Guide that many come in handy.  There's also a link to send in comments or questions.  If you'll respond over that link I can send you a copy of the Preliminary High Flow Rate O2 Procedures.

Take care and hang in there...  Even though you've been through this in the past, cycles do roll off and eventually end.

V/R, Batch

IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 4:30am »

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry that the devil found its way to your house.

About Maxalt; is yours one of those melt-in-your- mouth meds? (sorry, cannot recall the proper word for it)  

If yes, then I had success with it in the past - it killed my hits within 8 minutes. I did get narcoticly tired and some other side effects, though.

PF days,
Sanna

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2007, 4:31am by sandie99 » IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss