Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 5:26am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi! Thank God your all here! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi! Thank God your all here!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi! Thank God your all here!  (Read 245 times)
alstar5
New Board Newbie
Australia 

God, Please releive this pain!

Email

Hi! Thank God your all here!
« on: Sep 16th, 2007, 3:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello My Fellow Clustheads,
Before I begin, I want to thank the creators of this site and all the members just for being here. I don't know anyone else who suffers from CH's and to be able to speak to people who actually understand what it's like is fantastic.

I'm 17 years old and for the past 3 years have been getting cluster headaches. They began in my first year of leaving School at TAFE (College) when incidently I started smoking. Every morning between 9am - 11am I would get struck down by this monster for around 40mins. I would be sitting in the classroom or standing outside in silence and all I could think about was this knife jabbing in my eye. Looking back on it, I beleive they were not as frequent or severe back then and have certainly increased as I've gotten older.  

In 2006 I left TAFE after completing my course and began full-time work for the first time. It was great at first, my hours were 11:45am - 8.30pm so I would always have my headache at home just before I left and "got it out of the way". Then, in the middle of my year, I was moved to 9:00am - 5:00pm. Big mistake.

I have all these memories of everyday sitting at my computer for 50 mins each morning with my head in my arms. I sat right opposite my boss and it looked like I never wanted to work and was always hung over. As I sat with my head in my hands tears were streaming down my eyes, but as I said, in 50mins I fine, it was all over. Therefore, I didn't bother seeking help. I just thought it was something I'd have to live with. The pain was that bad, and it went so quickly that I didn't really think the Doctors could do anything if even if I did complain. I use to take Paracetomol and other OTC drugs but they never did a thing.

The beginning of this year I took a year off work because of personal reasons and decided to go back to School. Again my CH's continued and got to the point were one lasted over an hour and I managed to get driven by my father to my GP. He took one look at me and injected me with Pethadine. It didn't do a thing and after 30 mins my headache went away simply because it ran its course. My GP referred my to a Neuro.  

I explained what I'd been experiencing to the Neuro and he told me I have Cluster Headaches. He prescribed me 180mg of Isoptin SR (Verapimil) a day and told me to take 2 X Voltaran Rapid 50's (Diclofenac potassium) whenever I felt a Cluster Headache coming on. He also gave me Imigrin/Imtrex Nasal spray. He was going to give my Oxygen but due to me going to School it simply wasn't practical.

I started the Isoptin 3 months ago, since then I have had 2 (Yes!! Only two Cluster Headaches) in that period. Where I normally would have had 90. I cannot beleive how well I feel. I have been so productive, so happy. My life has completely changed, I cannot beleive I put up with CH's for so long living everyday in agony. Ok, so yes, I know I am not cured, but damn it's nice to have them so infrequently now.  

I have finished my course at School and I'm now job seeking again. I am ready to re-enter the workforce and cannot beleive how confident I feel about myself. Also, I think it's worth mentioning that when a CH does strike, the most beneficial thing I've found is prayer. A simple prayer to God has often releived this monster.

Look forward to hearing your stories and going through this journey together. Whilst I hope it never happens again, I know that I will be on these forums in the middle of attacks and I'm glad people understand.

I am so sick of people telling me to "drink more water", "take panadol", "eat fruit everyday" etc. to stop these headaches. And then you get the well intending friend who says "I get mirgaines, I know what it's like". Ahhh, Screw them all!  

I'm glad to be a part of this community! Thank you.

Alex
IP Logged
phil_h
New Board Old Timer
USA 

one day at a time , one headache at a time.....

phh252
Email

Re: Hi! Thank God your all here!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16th, 2007, 7:53am »

Welcome aboard.... DJ and his site have become life's blood for most of us..... Knowing you're not alone in your fight and finding the experience , strength and hope of the other clusterheads will help improve your quality of life . Lots to read , lots to learn and lots of help here... wishing you pfnad's....Welcome home........ phil h
IP Logged

Angels are among us ........beasts beware !!!!!!
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 7:17am »

Hi Alex
Welcome aboard & wish you didn’t need to be here; sorry I didn’t see this before but I’ve been flat out like the proverbial lizard lately.
There’s a few of us Aussies here and all very thankful that DJ had the wisdom to start this site up.
Looks like you’re on the right track for dealing with the beast & Ill help out whenever I can, when I read your story it is only to familiar.
In your post you don’t mention medical oxygen; for many of us it’s a great abortive, have a look at the bottom of this post & there’s a link to Mr. Happy’s site & contains some info on how to get hold of oxygen in Oz.
Gotta do the Harold Holt for now but will check back when I can.
Regards
Barry

I just re-read your post & you did mention o2 but it looks like you havn't tried it, I swear by it.
Cheers
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:46pm by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 4:27pm »

Welcome HOME Alex!!!

Glad you are feeling a lot better now and hopefully you stay that way forever!

The creator of this site is DJ (He is our HERO) Cheesy

Please stick around and let us know how you are doing.

We love new faces, so pics are a requirement  Wink

Wsihing you lots and lots of pain free time!!!

Rosy.
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss