Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 2:58am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Looking for help for a friend »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Looking for help for a friend
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Looking for help for a friend  (Read 525 times)
melissam
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Looking for help for a friend
« on: Oct 4th, 2007, 12:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A good friend of mine told me that he is thinking of killing himself because of cluster headaches.  He lives in an isolated rural area, and I can help him look into assistance for prescription medications, but I am wondering if anyone knows of any research studies he could look into for help here in the US?

Cry
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Looking for help for a friend
« Reply #1 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 12:16am »

Hi Melissa. Start here:
http://www.ouch-us.org/chinfo1.htm

In particular, see the crisis intervention link. Lots of helpful info there.
Thanks for caring.   Smiley
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 3:53pm »

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $59 at Amazon.Com.  It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Emily
New Board Old Timer
Wales 

« Reply #3 on: Oct 8th, 2007, 10:43am »

Hi Melissa,

I don't live in a rural area and I have lots of friends and family around me, but when this first started happening, I felt really lonely and isolated too. I was also feeling miserable all the time.

With ch, it can feel as though you're the only person in the world who understands what you're going through, especially for those who don't find good docs and/or neuros. Whilst the folks giving advice here aren't medical professionals, your friend will find support, practical advice and an ear to bend here. Get your friend to come here and sign up. This board and the amazing people here have helped me as much as the meds and a diagnosis and all the rest of it.  

I highly recommend it.

Em
IP Logged

The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.
- Moliere

MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go Cubbies  / even though they suck

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 8th, 2007, 10:40pm »

on Oct 8th, 2007, 10:43am, Emily wrote:
Hi Melissa,

I don't live in a rural area and I have lots of friends and family around me, but when this first started happening, I felt really lonely and isolated too. I was also feeling miserable all the time.

With ch, it can feel as though you're the only person in the world who understands what you're going through, especially for those who don't find good docs and/or neuros. Whilst the folks giving advice here aren't medical professionals, your friend will find support, practical advice and an ear to bend here. Get your friend to come here and sign up. This board and the amazing people here have helped me as much as the meds and a diagnosis and all the rest of it.  

I highly recommend it.

Em

I second that

Dave
IP Logged
luveemom
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 4:06pm »

Hi Melissa,
I agree with the other posts.  There is a crisis link on here, and at one point or another, just look at the kip scale we do feel like suicide is better than the pain......it doesn't mean we want that or will follow through.....although some do, it is the worst pain of your life, and your friend needs help.....if you can get him on here he would find a lot of support from people who feel just like he does....it is not uncommon to feel the way he does.  I hope that you are able to provide him with some tools to get him the support he needs.
Alicia
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss