Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:58pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 2nd time round for 10 year old »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Children and Cluster's
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   2nd time round for 10 year old
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2nd time round for 10 year old  (Read 3694 times)
Puddleduck
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

2nd time round for 10 year old
« on: Apr 9th, 2003, 6:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My daughter is just experiencing her second cluster, the first time when she was 7 it was diagnosed as raeders's syndrome (she had the drooped eyelid and prolounged on and off headaches). The first time round she had a normal MRI and we were told to give her NSAID's and paracetomal.  

3 years later  she was again woken in the night, very distressed and vomiting. The headaches have continued for 8 days now (getting less severe) and she has the eyelid  palsy again with double vision and dizziness. Her docter referred her to hospital but the peadeatrician who saw her last time was not particularly bothered and said hopefully it would settle down like last time! This might take 2 - 3 months.  We have been told to give her paracetamol and ibuprofen - she is lethargic and depressed and nothing like her normal bright bubbly and energetic personality.  
I tried sending her back to school for half days, but she was exhausted and woke again this morning with a headache so I have kept her home today. and told her school that this could be the pattern for quite some time.

I would love to hear from anyone who thinks I should be pushing for more proactive treatment and of which kind.

Hope to hear from you.

IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: 2nd time round for 10 year old
« Reply #1 on: Apr 9th, 2003, 10:01am »

sorry to hear your girl is in pain.  Please consider asking your neuro for a prescription for oxygen for her?  It's the least  invasive of the cluster treatments and it really CAN be a huge help in aborting the attacks before they take hold of her.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19th, 2003, 7:57pm »

I am so sorry to hear about the Hell your daughter must go through.  Doctors can be so difficult to handle when you're dealing with a child with headaches.  They seem to have difficultly understanding that children can be in pain or something.  At least most doctors do admit now that children can get headaches, but I think they probably still don't believe it can be that bad (then again, most regular doctors don't believe clusters can be that bad).

I'd recommend pushing to get the help your daughter deserves.  If the pediatrician don't want to help, find another one, or go to a neurologist.  Check to see if there's a pediatric neurologist in your area, and see if you can take her there.  Don't just let a few less than helpful doctors just blow off your concerns and declare everything will be okay eventually.  Sure... Your daughter headaches may go into remission again eventuall, but that doesn't mean that they don't hurt right now.  Doctors can be just so worthless at times.

I hope you and your daughter find a goo ddoctor soon, who is willing to try to help.  Good luck!

PFDAN.................................. Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21st, 2003, 11:49am »

Hi sorry to hear about the distress and pain your daughter is going through, Drk^Angel has offered you some good advice I hope you take it....wishing your daughter PF times ahead. Let us know how you get on.

Cathy  Smiley
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

bonner9
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31st, 2003, 3:02pm »

Hi-
My name is Mark, and I'm from Boston, MA..I've been suffering from cluster head aches now for 12 years...I'm 31 now...my first experience was when I was in college...I didn't know what this extremely sharp, dibilitating and crippling pain was I was experiencing on the right side of my head, behind my right eye....only last for about an average of one hour for three straight days...I went for a cat- scan as I feared for my life the pain was so brutal and overwhleming..nothing showed...a few years later, now in my mid 20's, had another bout, still unaware what I was experiencing..just thought it was really severe headaches...again the excrutiating pain lasted a few days, acouple of hours a day...it wasn't until April 2003 when I got the worst of it...the clusters were back, and this time, I thought I was going to die...the pain had elevated to a point where I was beating my head against my driveway, wall, car bumber anything to make the pain stop....I was getting 4-6 clusters a day and they were averaging 2 hours each time...i was so helpless, crippled and experiencing the WORST pain life may have to offer(physically)...I couldn't sleep, work or conduct my social life...I went in for my 2nd catscan in 12 years again nothing, but my doctor did finally diagnos me with clusters...some medication that I found helpful is Verapomil and Axert(both have websites)...but, what really did it for me was pure oxygen...it saved my life(so to speak). Whenever I felt a cluster coming on, I would go directly to my o2 tank, put the mask over my face, breath in deeply and within 10 minutes the cluster was gone....now all I use is the oxygen...no other medication needed...it works absolute wonders...I know it will help your daughter if she's not already on it...I know the pain I'm in during a cluster and I would not wish it upon my worst enemy, so I can only imagine what your little girl is going through...hope this helps!
IP Logged
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 2nd, 2003, 7:47pm »

I am so sorry to hear about your child suffering with Ch's. I know you have come to this site for information and it has plenty. I hope you are able to find help.
Everytime i come to this section of the CH message board, it brings tears to my eyes. I wish i could help!!!

Patrick
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
kbbogo1
New Board Newbie

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10th, 2003, 12:46pm »

Poor baby - it's not fair!  I like the oxygen suggestion and hope you have success with it.  Keep an eye on her with the depression - constantly reminding her of how brave she is to be handling this so well.  I too, have a very hard time with zombie/depression/being lethargic -only during my cluster cycle.  With me anyway, the depression is not where I feel sorry for myself at all - but an overall sadness - just don't care about anything.  Don't take it personally - it messes me up as an adult - can't imagine what it does to a child.  Also, when I am in a cycle, I DEFINATELY don't feel like explaining it to others - only for them to tell me that they have "migraines" too.  They have absolutely no clue!  I think you are doing great supporting her and keep trying to find an understanding doctor.  You might want her to look at this site too so she can visit with us.  We would love to hear from her and offer her our support.  I found this site about a year and a half ago - it was the best day of my life!

Kim
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 24th, 2003, 3:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

God I hate that children have to endure this.  It rips me apart just thinking about it.  I know it's cliche but, if I could take their pain for myself, I would in a heartbeat.
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 25th, 2003, 8:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have had CH since I was 10 also.  Of course at that time the Dr assumed that I just didn't want to go to school and I was rebelling against everything.  "Children this age don't get HA likes this."  I remember that comment so well!  

Go to the OUCH Website and read everything.  There is some wonderful information that you can print and take to your child's teachers and Dr.  There is also resources with the information about children getting CH.  Try this link http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/kids.htm
IP Logged
bonner9
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 25th, 2003, 12:12pm »

Hi-

If you haven't already been directed to use oxygen, PLEASE DO!!! My story is on the website...pure oxygen is the only remedy for me...no other meds needed...when I feel a cluster appraching, I go to my o2 tank, put the mask over my face and literally within 10 minutes the cluster has vanished. Ask the pediatrician about oxygen. Hope this helps.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 25th, 2003, 1:35pm »

Just a reminder here, folks....this post was originally made in April of this year.  This user may not be around anymore and, therefore, not getting your responses.

things don't move as fast over here as they do on the General Section, so sometimes we are posting to stuff that is months old.  I haven't seen Puddleduck here since this original post.

Not trying to discourage anyone from posting, please don't get me wrong.  Just don't want you to get your hopes up for a response from someone who may have left months ago.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
mima
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Oct 13th, 2004, 3:02pm »

Thanks to all above responses - I have had to reregister as had completely forgot my username and password!  - however my daughter went into remission with her last bout of headaches but they have again returned.

I had a very frustrated visit to her GP, was reduced to tears as I tried to explain how I could not bear for my daughter to be in such pain. He has prescribed her IMIGRAN, i cannot find any reference on this site but do know that it is usually prescribed for classic migraine and only to 18+.

I am going back in a couple of days to see how things are going and would like to push for oxygen - however the GP really couldn't see what my problem was as "she has only had 3 clusters in 5 years" and has already told me how expensive the Imigran tablets are.

It truly breaks my heart to see how much pain and how subdued she becomes and would really appreciate any response from people in the UK to compare their experiences with the NHS
IP Logged
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 8:26pm »

Imigran = Imitrex... Very common medication for CH sufferers.  Dunno how well the tablets will do (most CHers are prescribed injections).  Good luck to you and your daughter.  Hopefully y'all will be able to get the O2 your daughter needs and deserves soon.

PFDAN....................................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss