Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 1:44am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Mental Control »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Mental Control
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mental Control  (Read 1674 times)
Chonas
New Board Junior
Argentina 

Can I buy you a drink?

Mental Control
« on: Jan 15th, 2006, 10:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My wife is putting a lot of pressure on me about something that I had never heard before, she calls it 'Mental Control', and says this is something that should allows us to avoid the pain via some kind of discipline or technique. I have been safe till now with answers like: 'to achive what you suggest I should first have a mind...'.  
Have you ever heard anything like this before?. What is this?.  Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Here we go again...
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

I'd start by saying..
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 11:32am »

it's easy for someone to say who has never had a CH.  Good luck?  Also, I think it is what is I use every day while in cycle to keep from killing myself.

Rich
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: Mental Control
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 11:46am »

Ask your wife if you can smash a frying pan into her head, if she says no tell her to leave you and your pain alone.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 1:29pm »

They tried that at the Houston Headache Clinic and I told them a few heated things...... I'm with Jonny on this one - until someone goes thru it.....  

I do try to FOCUS on something - anything to get my mind off the pain, but I don't think you can block it out - Mental Control might work on some types of pain, but not this type.....

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 5:17pm »

I have tried biofeedback which consists of focusing on something and deep breathing and getting into a relaxed state.  It did nothing for my clusters.  I agree with Jonny.  Tell your wife to back off until she walks in your shoes.  Don't waste your time on that and try oxygen, imitrix, verapamil or predisone or lithium or something that is apt to be more helpful.  Good luck!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Chonas
New Board Junior
Argentina 

Can I buy you a drink?

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 6:29pm »

Thanks a lot to all of you.  
I've already smashed a frying pan into her head  Grin  Grin  Grin
IP Logged

Here we go again...
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 6:57pm »

on Jan 15th, 2006, 6:29pm, Chonas wrote:
she calls it 'Mental Control', and says this is something that should allows us to avoid the pain via some kind of discipline or technique.

Well, if she was to ever get diarrhea, just tell her to use mental control.  Juuuuuuust takes discipline and technique and she should avoid any messes.   Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2006, 7:15pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
CrazyDog
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 8:02pm »

LOL!

You all had me rolling out of my chair with your responses and if you want to talk about mental control.

Maybe she could try holding an oxygen mask on her face with one hand, while toting an oxygen bottling behind her with other hand and run down the street at 2:30am in the morning with eyes mostly closed with what feels like someone jabbing a red hot poker in your eye without hitting any cars or falling down for 20 minutes, its not easy, especially making corners without tipping oxygen bottle.

Hehe!
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2006, 8:04pm by CrazyDog » IP Logged

WaltD
http://www.waltdavis.net/crazydog-ch-profile.pdf
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 8:17pm »

Tell the wife that I've used mental control to deal with a broken arm and even a broken leg, but CH is way out of the range of mental control.  

Once CH takes over the best you can hope to do is survive the pain and not beat your own brains out attempting to make it go away.

Sorry, but Mrs. Chonas obviously doesn't comprehend the repetitive, intense/unearthly pain associated with CH.

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Chonas
New Board Junior
Argentina 

Can I buy you a drink?

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 9:01pm »

Dear fellows, I've asked my wife to read all these msgs, she recognizes (I'm not so sure about this...) that she has a big mouth and from now on she'll stop bothering her clusterhead husband.

Now she also wants to know if Tarot would be of any help...   laugh
IP Logged

Here we go again...
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 7:25am »

Maybe you hit her too hard with the frying pan.... Grin

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #11 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 7:49am »

on Jan 15th, 2006, 9:01pm, Chonas wrote:
Dear fellows, I've asked my wife to read all these msgs, she recognizes (I'm not so sure about this...) that she has a big mouth and from now on she'll stop bothering her clusterhead husband.

Now she also wants to know if Tarot would be of any help...   laugh

Depends on the accuracy of the Tarot reading - 'I see a large frying pan travelling towards your forehead' could be a popular reading.
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
Chonas
New Board Junior
Argentina 

Can I buy you a drink?

« Reply #12 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 8:24am »

People find very difficult to understand or imagine, how much pain we have to experience, as well as its intensity or the amount of time of each cycle, if we add to this that a chronic condition is also out there, then it becomes almost impossible to explain.  
I've tried to explain it a couple of times, but people looked at me as if I had risen from the grave.
This place, this webpage, this forum, YOU PEOPLE are the only family that can understand what we're talking about and you're always ready to help.
IP Logged

Here we go again...
chewy

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 8:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Tarot wont help. A Ouji Board might though. Depends on how hard you smack her with it.

Ouji Board Tip: When smacking your wife in the kisser, keep the board folded in two.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 9:15am »

I have not seen any mental health literature which suggests that these approaches could alter the mechanisms causing cluster.  

It is possible--a well research approach is available--to reduce the emotional distress which many folks develop in response to cluste. While we cannot reduce the pain it is possible to reduce the suffering (this being the emotional response to the physical pain).

The material I have is too long to post here but, if you are interested, send me you e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
floridian

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 9:15am »

Tarot Cards?  

Ask her if she goes to a psychic when she gets a toothache, or a dentist.  If she broke her arm, would she go to a surgeon to x-ray it a make a cast, or would she ask Madam Ruby to swing a pendulum over it.  

The mind can have some influence on some clusters - I found that since changing jobs and having a more regular sleep schedule, the CH cycles are less severe. I also developed my mental strength to avoid getting hot in the summer, which means less triggering. Visualize Air Conditioning in your concious and subconcious mind... and Make it So!
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2006, 9:22am by floridian » IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #16 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 9:17am »

Your wife needn't feel too bad about the advice. For those outside of our own heads it seems as though it should be something that can be controlled. Spending the time to educate her about the physiological components involved with these things can yield great results. My wife, after I shared much of the information gleaned from this site, had a greatly enhanced respect for not only what we go through but also is far more appreciative of the times when I am a "trooper" and make efforts to minimize the impact that CH has on our lives. And far more appreciative of efforts made to try new things to combat the beast.

My wife used to think their was mental component to it, that if I talked about them, or got around my Dad (also a sufferer) that if I got a cycle around anything like that she would attribute it to some kind of psychosomatic thing. SHE DOESN'T DO THAT ANYMORE. All without the aid of any cast iron skillets.

Good luck.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 10:36am »

My wife still thinks I'm exagerating. She gets the occasional migraine and thinks I don't know what pain is. If only SHE knew.
IP Logged

Life may not be good, but I think it beats the alternative, and if it doesn't, we'll find out soon enough
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 11:31am »

My wife is a great supporter, but it took a lot of education. (I will be printing out all of these responses and will insist she reads them. She used to be quite liberal with her advice to me!)

She was actully the one who found this site for me as she is far more computer literate then I! After working through the board she has become the queen of CH supporters. Wives ar like our doctors and our co-workers, it'a always a matter of educating.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 12:02pm »

Thanks, Guiseppi and Scott, for some positive words about supporters.  This thread just makes me sad.  Unbelievable that, after all these years, it's still an "us against them" 'tude around here.   Undecided

Chonas, maybe your wife is just trying to HELP you... maybe she's talking about trying to calm down during attacks.  My hubby says it's the hardest work he's ever done is to teach himself to stay calm and just breathe through his attacks.  But it has helped him immensely.  Maybe that's what your wife is talking about?

We KNOW we can't feel your pain, sufferers.  Do you ever stop to think how hard that is for US?  And how hard it is for us that we can't stop your pain?  Don't you think we WOULD take your pain if we could?
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2006, 12:42pm by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
chewy

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 12:08pm »

Quote:
This thread just makes me sad.

I knew that.

Know how I knew?

Ouiji Board.
IP Logged
Chonas
New Board Junior
Argentina 

Can I buy you a drink?

« Reply #21 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 12:13pm »

Hi Margi, I'm absolutely sure that my wife is trying to help me, I never said she wasn't trying to help me or thought so, I've only asked a couple of things here that she suggested me, and about which I had no idea, now I have a better knowledge how these things may apply.
She's also read most of these msgs and she now has a better understanding.  
IP Logged

Here we go again...
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #22 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 12:37pm »

on Jan 16th, 2006, 12:02pm, Margi wrote:
Thanks, Guiseppi and Scott, for some semi-positive words about supporters.  This thread just makes me sad.  Unbelievable that, after all these years, it's still an "us against them" 'tude around here.   Undecided

Well, then here's your semi-"your welcome" for the semi-"thank you" Margi.....  

scott
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2006, 12:40pm by seasonalboomer » IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 12:41pm »

I'm sorry, Scott, your post WAS really nice about your wife.  I retract the word 'semi'.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #24 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 12:55pm »

That was nice, Scott. WTG
This thread was troubling, it sounded like a cheer squad for spousal abuse for a bit. Now, that said:
I would make a crappy supporter. I have little patience for drama queens and wimps. (and frankly, unless you've had a CH, the whole "routine" looks a bit dramatic from the outside) If my poor hubby was the one with CH, well, I'm pretty sure he'd be saying some not nice about me to you. He's an amazing supporter, I'm very lucky. We're not all as good as he and some of the amazing supporters who post on this board. I'm not, anyway. So, you work with what you have, and move forward...
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss