Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Need some employment defense wisdom »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Need some employment defense wisdom
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Need some employment defense wisdom  (Read 1591 times)
Phil the Desert Rat
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Need some employment defense wisdom
« on: Jan 20th, 2006, 8:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Today, 5 p.m., my supervisor's supervisor's underwear was in a wad about "...all the time Phil has had off..." since January 3.  Granted I did miss 7 days of work.  This was my first round with these things, and it wasn't until the end of them that I started on the Verap and Cafergot (since changed to Imitrex nasal spray).  So as of 5 p.m., I was told that I would attend a meeting with my sup's sup and the head of HR to determine how to handle this time off.  Question:  should I lie about the great, relaxing, carefree time I had, and not tell them about the fishing trips, the golfing, the thoughtful walks along the beach, the water skiing, and the nonstop orgy in the hotel room?

All cynicism aside, my question is this:  have CHs adversely affected any of your employment situations?  If so, what sort of backup should I be looking for (legal?).  My doctor, the local clinic PA,  and my neuro are all writing notes explaining the fact that I have a medical condition that incapacitates me for 24 hours per episode, without divulging what the condition is (HPPA confidentiality requirement).  Other than the notes, the Rx's, the pretty pictures of the innards of my skull, and a timeline of the whole miserable experience, I don't know what else to do.  And being me, prone to worry about things anyway, I will be on pins and needles all weekend about this.

Any suggestions?

--Phil
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

Re: Need some employment defense wisdom
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 9:08pm »

I'd just tell them the truth. You've got CH and have "episodes" periodically and it's a condition that you can't help - there is no known cause and not cure at this time. Out of episodes you're fine and will give 100%, but during episodes, you'll probably miss some work.  

does your company have FMLA? Save up your time for the episodes.  

I own my own business so my clients have just gotten used to me telling them to go to hell when I get hit.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Phil the Desert Rat
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 9:27pm »

Wish I could do the same, Barbara!  Already told them the truth...was being cynical about the vacation crap.  The CH explanation seemed to satisfy a week ago...don't know what has changed (if anything has).
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 11:27pm »

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=knowya;actio n=display;num=1114467535
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 11:34pm »

hmmm.  Eric got to you with the link ahead of me.   I swear not one of us ever sleeps.....

Quote:
Any suggestions?

Yes........Stop worrying about it.  If you have done everything you can, then it is what it will be.

Lighting a candle though anyway....

Linda  

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 11:45pm »

on Jan 20th, 2006, 11:34pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

Yes........Stop worrying about it.  If you have done everything you can, then it is what it will be.

Linda  

That is the most helpful suggestion that one can put forth!
 Smiley
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

I struggled with this for years..
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 1:20am »

.. and just last week I took a copy of Simon's letter to my boss and he now completely understands and is  letting me do whatever I need, to do, that is, telecommute, disability, vacation, whatever. my call., to assit in my recovery.  The weight that has been lifted from my shoulders is amazing.  I feel truly blessed in this regard.  Twenty two years of service has accounted for something.  I am glad it went this way, because if it did not , I was going the disability route anyway.  I was able to struggle through when I was younger, But i was afraid I wasn't going to make it this time due to my age and conditon.
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 12:23pm »

on Jan 20th, 2006, 8:07pm, Phil the Desert Rat wrote:
I have a medical condition that incapacitates me for 24 hours per episode
--Phil

Are you episodic or chronic ? If you're episodic, I'd explain that the condition may only last a few weeks then be gone for a couple years. Try to convince them that once they're gone, you'll be a normal person again.  

How long have you been employed there ? If it's been awhile, then explain that you've been a good employee and have not missed until now.

Does the Trex spray work for you ? If it does, explain that prior to finding a med that works, you where in extreme pain and couldn't function, but now you've found a med that only keeps you away for a little while. (Trex shots work the fastest by the way).

JMHO... I'd drop the incapacitated for 24 hours line. That's looking like you'll not be working much.

Hope you get everything resolved and they are understanding. Did you print the letter to employer ? If not let them read it. It's worked great for me so far.
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 2:22pm »

The ADA (americans with disabilities act) covers migraines, but not clusters. Technically, you are not covered, however the bill was written well before CHs were fully understood. If you get canned, a good lawyer may get you protected under the ADA if he's able to prove that CH's are worse than migraines.
IP Logged
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Sounds like a good time to ask if you can have an o2 tank at work.
IP Logged
Phil the Desert Rat
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:46pm »

Well, again, thanks to all of your suggestions.  Fortunately, I called every day I was off (missed 6 days of scheduled work time), and kept everyone in the loop.  And fortunately, this matter fell to HR to rule on, and not to my boss' boss (he seemed quite upset about "all the time I had missed," though really, it was not that much, ATC).

I did explain the fact that next time, I'll be armed with the appropriate meds to manage this, and so will incur far fewer days off (if any).  That was acceptable to HR.  I will bring up the O2 tank-at-work (you'd think that in the USA, there would be an official "Bring Your Oxygen Tank To Work Day"...there seems to be a day for everything else!).

Thanks all, and as usual, the end result was better than I had feared.  I will do my best to relax, and take it as it comes from here on end.

It's nice to feel human again!  PF days, everyone.

--Phil
IP Logged
Nosferatu
New Board Newbie
Mexico 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 3:19pm »

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/1421.htm

IP Logged
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 5:55pm »

on Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:46pm, Phil the Desert Rat wrote:

It's nice to feel human again!  PF days, everyone.

--Phil

we all know this feeling Phil, glad it worked out for you.
Matt
IP Logged
Dave_W
New Board Junior

Pain Free Days!!!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 12:10pm »

Good going, all!

I've been lurking for quite a while, just thought I'd throw in a huzzah for this thread.

Pain Free Days!

Old Dave
IP Logged

Old Decrepit Dave
djsound
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 10:33pm »

Yeah, I remember when I was 22 and working on an assembly line at GM.  I couldn't see out of my right eye and my mind was in another dimension, but I never missed work.   I just would grind it out.  Now I know what it is and I get meds, so it is much easier to take.  Plus I don't get them every day - just every year or so.  Makes a differencec knowing how normal people live.
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 5:54pm »

Don't get the idea that your not going to be under the microscope for a while. If you work for a large Co. you are safer than working for a small Co. If a Co. has less than 50? or so employees all that federal protection doe's not apply. Good Luck!

Lee
IP Logged
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 8:27pm »

An employer is required to make a reasonable accommodation to the known disability of a qualified applicant or employee if it would not impose an "undue hardship" on the operation of the employer's business. Undue hardship is defined as an action requiring significant difficulty or expense when considered in light of factors such as an employer's size, financial resources, and the nature and structure of its operation.

Its hard to disprove "undue harship". If the company has less than 14 employees the law does not apply.

Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) prohibits employment discrimination against qualified individuals with disabilities. The ADA applies to:

* employers with fifteen (15) or more employees

IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #17 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:38pm »

The Americans with Disabilities Act may not protect you at all depending on the severity of your clusters.  At the time of my termination from Creative Labs, I was getting hit 5 - 8+ times per day.  I had no preventative medication and was extremely limited on abortive meds.  I had already used much of my FMLA authorized leave due to my son being in an accident which required him to have constant monitoring and assistance.  I was placed on medical leave for the remaining period of FMLA and then given a month's leave of absence.  When that time was up and I was no better medically, I was terminated.  There was simply no "reasonable accomodation" that could be made.  The State Employment Office even refused to place me due to my CH.

The courts have ruled that it is not reasonable to expect an employer to put up with a person missing hours per day or weeks/months per year, as is demonstrated in this 2003 court case specifically dealing with Cluster Headaches:

http://law.emory.edu/caselaw/11ca/mar2003/02-12971.opn.html

IP Logged
kayarr
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kayarr2k  
Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 5:18pm »

How about pre-employment defense.  J. and I have been talking about him getting interviews and since the heart attack he has stayed away from imitrex. Anyone have any advice I can give him on how to do the interviewing process ?
IP Logged

Nothing is impossible! Just believe!!!!!
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #19 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 11:49pm »

It is my understanding (I could be wrong) that an employer can't troll for disqualifying medical conditions other than to lay out the job duties and requirements and ask can you do them with or without "reasonable accomodation."

Depending on the job, a heart condition would not preclude a person from being hired, though it may cause problems with insurance due to pre-existing conditions clauses.

IP Logged
kayarr
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kayarr2k  
Email

« Reply #20 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 9:20am »

Thank you for the heart answer.  What I was meaning was he is wondering how to say in the interview "excuse me while I fix my head"? He is chronic and the Imitrex would give him about 3-4 hours of sure PF time so he could go on an airplane or and interview or go to the movies (which always was a trigger btw)

Can you think of an answer to leaving an interview?
His normal postition is  in Production Supervision.
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #21 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 9:55am »

on Feb 7th, 2006, 9:20am, kayarr wrote:
Thank you for the heart answer.  What I was meaning was he is wondering how to say in the interview "excuse me while I fix my head"? He is chronic and the Imitrex would give him about 3-4 hours of sure PF time so he could go on an airplane or and interview or go to the movies (which always was a trigger btw)

Can you think of an answer to leaving an interview?
His normal postition is  in Production Supervision.

Okay how about:

"Excuse me fellas, do you see it in my eye?, it's a phillips head screwdriver, can you help me pull it out?"

"Pardon me guys, I  believe that Satan is clutching the inside of my eyeball and I need a little breather"

"Please excuse me I noticed a really excellent wall in the men's room that I'd like to go bash my head against.. you mind?"

"You know, sometimes they're like kind of funny, you see this? the way my eye gets all droopy like a basset hound. Isn't that hilarious?"

"Did it suddenly get excruciating in here? Or is it just me?"

honestly, honesty is always the best course. If they don't understand in the interview, they're not gonna understand later.

Scott

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
kayarr
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kayarr2k  
Email

« Reply #22 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 10:09am »

Scott,

That is what I said (not quite so creative though)  He seems to think that there is no way to get a management job with initial disclosure.  I think he feels between that and being over 50 now he has less of a chance.  Sounds to me more and more like I need to be doing More esteem building.  

(excruitiating in here.....)
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #23 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 10:25am »

kayarr,

there's nothing wrong with the feeling of facing challenging job prospects. perspective can help (and is awfully hard to maintain). So I'll try and offer a few examples. Let's say I'm looking at someone who is 50 versus someone who is 28. The 28 year old has told me that he has 2 kids (ages 1 and 4). The 50 year old may miss a few days due to CH, of which he will communicate clearly and maturely to me, and probably call in to make sure all is going well when he is out. The 28 year old will likely miss as many days, things will pop up at the last minute and things will be less likely to be as smooth because of daycare situations, sick kids, and all that. Who's more beneficial to me as a production supervisor? I won't answer, but my point is that no matter who you are you can create a case that you bring strengths that outweigh any potential downside. Just as your downsaide can be minimized by over compensating with the strengths.

(Also, regarding my previous post - apologies to those feel it is blasphemous to portray images of CH in an unflattering light or in cartoons  Wink ---

Scott
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
kayarr
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kayarr2k  
Email

« Reply #24 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 10:42am »

I agree with you!  That is exactly what I will tell him.  Hope you don't mind me using your material.  

It has been very hard for him to keep things in perspective lately.  It bugs him that I am the only one working.  

Thanks!
Kimberly
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss