Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 6:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « DON'T MIX TRIPTANS!! It MAY KILL YOU!! (nt) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   DON'T MIX TRIPTANS!! It MAY KILL YOU!! (nt)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: DON'T MIX TRIPTANS!! It MAY KILL YOU!! (nt)  (Read 833 times)
Nosferatu
New Board Newbie
Mexico 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

DON'T MIX TRIPTANS!! It MAY KILL YOU!! (nt)
« on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 1:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

IP Logged
gobby
New Board Junior
USA 

I wish I had Migrains instead!

Re: DON'T MIX TRIPTANS!! It MAY KILL YOU!! (nt)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 2:44am »

GOOD ADVICE!!! Smiley
IP Logged

Things that don't kill us only make us wish we were dead.
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 2:47am »

Posted by: Nosferatu--------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------Are you the silent film actor ????????
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 6:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hu, my Dr. did just that, I'm still here.

Lee
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:52pm »

So have others, Lee, but along that same line we came close to losing one of our own here from mixing triptans.  Better safe than sorry.  

Conventional wisdom where triptans is concerned goes like this:

Maxalt (rizatriptan), Zomig (zolmitriptan), Imitrex (sumitriptan), Amerge (naratriptan), Relpax (eletriptan), Axert (almotriptan), Frova (frovatriptan) and meds containing ergotamine are dangerous to take within 24 hours of each other.   Mixing triptans can cause serious cardiac problems.  If you switch from one to another, wait at least 24 hours between the two different meds.  

Always consult your doctor concerning changing/mixing medications.  It wouldn't hurt to consult your pharmacist, also - doctors aren't always aware of all the potential medication interactions.  

IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #5 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 6:44pm »

Y?  Because the insert from the company that makes it tells you that? The primary reason is because dosages are different.  Just look at the difference between Trex NS and the pills, or Injections.  I suppose better safe than sorry is the sound advice.  However, consult your professionals.  The Pharmacy is a good place to start.  Actually most triptans are practically interchangeable.  Just find one that works for you and go with it.  If you have any questions ask the guys who get paid to know this shit.  YES after 15 plus years I have asked, asked again, then asked atleast 20 more times for shits and giggles and just about done all the Triptans out there.  BUT AGAIN ASK THE PROS!!!!
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2006, 6:47pm by mynm156 » IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 8:20pm »

Also, let me thow another one in - this is off the triptans, but worth a mention. KNOW YOUR MEDS AND WHAT MIXES WITH WHAT!!!!!  

I was in the hospital and the doc ordered DHE and Reglin (or however you spell it - anti-nauseau med). The nice little RN came in to give me my IV with ONE syringe and had it in the IV when I asked "Is that the Reglin?" she informed me it was the DHE AND Reglin at which time I knocked her and the damn needle across the room. That was a DEADLY combination! ANd she wanted to argue with me.  

Fortunately (for me) I had asked years before WHY they gave it seperate and they called the pharmacist up to explain it to me, but this damn nurse didn't bother to "learn" how to give it before she tried to kill me. She NOW knows how to give it AFTER we got the pharmacist up there to EXPLAIN it to her slowly.  

So please KNOW your meds - ASK questions of the pharmacist (he probably knows more about the meds than the doc) and keep asking questions till you know everything you need to know about them. Read the literature on them. Don't take a chance - it just isn't worth it kids... Had I not have known about that particular med, I wouldn't be enjoying my grandson today... think about it....

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 8:24pm »

"ASK questions of the pharmacist (he probably knows more about the meds than the doc)"  YOU BET HE DOES!!!  I TRUST THEM MUCH MORE THAN I DO THE DOCS. Nothing against Docs gonna be one.  But they cant know every drug inside and out there are too many.
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 9:56pm »

This is good advice, but your pharmasist doesn't know your medical history either.  So maybe try talking to your doctor and confirming with your pharmisist is a better idea.  Remember, drug reps visit the doctors very frequently and doctors have easily accessable software or books to look up interactions and such as well.  

So, if you want to be safe, consult both.  Just my opinion.
IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 10:02pm »

on Feb 7th, 2006, 6:44pm, mynm156 wrote:
Actually most triptans are practically interchangeable.

Not sure what you're saying. If you've mixed, you've flirted with death. Both my pharmacist and doc both warned me. In fact, I couldn't even fill one triptan prescription until the other ran out. I do admit, i've used a couple types, but waited 24 hours before switching.
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 3:18pm »

on Feb 7th, 2006, 10:02pm, BlueMeanie wrote:

Not sure what you're saying. If you've mixed, you've flirted with death. Both my pharmacist and doc both warned me. In fact, I couldn't even fill one triptan prescription until the other ran out. I do admit, i've used a couple types, but waited 24 hours before switching.

I think we can all agree that you should check with the pros on this. Yes Doctors have all the drug reps coming to them telling them how THIER drug is best... FORGET DRUG REPS. THIER SALESMEN.  I would not bet that any drug will be out of your system in 24 hours.
IP Logged

Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 9th, 2006, 3:06pm »

uh...yeah...not good to mix the stuff.

I actually had a female neuro tell me to not be a p***y about mixing the triptans.  And this is a doctor who knows about my fun little hospital trip.

Go figure...

Rox
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2006, 3:07pm by Roxy » IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 12:25am »

my 2 cents.

I always double check with the pharmacist no matter what. Too many times doctors have given me scripts that conflicted. I agree the best advice is to ask

Dragn
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss