Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 3:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « WASTE OF TIME »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   WASTE OF TIME
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: WASTE OF TIME  (Read 691 times)
Shaz
New Board Veteran
England 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

WASTE OF TIME
« on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 7:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, went and saw my neuro this morning and really did not find him very helpful.  He seems to think by what I describe they are cluster headaches but because I have one really long one in my last episode, (about three) hours, he's not so sure.  Wonders if they are clusters with a bit of migraine thrown in.  WHAT???? All I want is a straight forward diagnosis.  I did the cluster test again before I went and apart from the one long attack everything definately points to clusters.  And that long attack was exactly the same as normal.  The onset, the pain, everything.......

Anyway, he has recommended that on the first sign of another episode I start on the verap straight away and use the imigran injections again as abortives.  

Sounds as if I am making a fuss about nothing.  Just feel deflated.  I just wanted someone to say "Yes this is definately what you have".  After twenty five years of this have really had enough of not been 100% sure.  

Will just have to get on with things though and enjoy my painfree time.  No point in going anywhere else. The neuro I saw is the top guy at Salisbury and apparently, has a very good reputation.

Sorry about the winge.  Just feeling a bit fed up.

Shaz  Huh
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: WASTE OF TIME
« Reply #1 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:06am »

Don't blame you in the least for feeling lower than a snake's belly in a wheel rut.  Takes long enough just to get in to see an 'expert' and we all know the definition of that word!

Just for the record I was once hit for just on eight consecutive hours, but what no-one tells the neuros is that it wasn't one headache - it was five of them back to back.

Battle on regardless, darlin', and remember that we're all on your side.  Especially as you have such a pretty smile.

Kindest regards always,

Brian Down under.

IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Shaz
New Board Veteran
England 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:09am »

Thanks so much for that Brian.  You have made me feel better already.  Do know how I got through all those years without you lot xxx
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

I don't get it..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:33am »

.. a 2-3 hr run is a standard in my clusters and not unusual to my Neuro at all.  Well atleast he's putting you on th eright meds. How about O2?

Looks like you are on the right track.
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:47am »

I know of a few people here that get them that last 3-5 hours long.  Mine however were always 2 hours like clockwork.  The main thing is your not dying of anything the neuro ruled that out.  And migraine or cluster your still getting the right meds.  I think your in a good spot right now.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 1:07pm »

Shaz---I agree with Karla---you're in the right place with your posts and medications...Keep the Faith---it will always get better.
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
Shaz
New Board Veteran
England 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 2:09pm »

Thanks for your replies.  Feeling better now the day has gone on and realise that the meds are what I need and have you lot out there.  Brian I just re-read the reply I sent to you and noticed I made a grammar error in the last sentence.  I really appreciate all of you out there.  Dont know what I would do without this great lifeline xxx
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 3:50am »

Shaz,  

I've had 3-hour cluster attack also. Usually mine were much shorter, but I do recall that odd one very well. And I've had combos: ch, them migraine, then another cluster... "fun".

And what comes to neuros... I've met many of them: 3 men, 2 women. Two of them said that it's ch streight away, one wondered if it is it, one agreed that it is after closing everything else away and one just wasn't sure. That happends.

I just hope that you'll have meds which work, so that you don't need to suffer long attacks anymore. I do recall too well what it's like to deal with kip 8 and 9s without any meds because doc too scared to subscribe me any.

And recall, venting is allowed in here! When you feel like it, go on! We're here to help you and support you in any way we can. hug

Best wishes & PF time,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 4:29am »

What a load of old cobblers Shaz! I would have expected the top guy at Salisbury to have seen this..

Quote:
The upper limit of 3 h should be increased in future diagnostic criteria.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1468-2982.2006.00932. x

Evaluating the IHS criteria for cluster headache – a comparison between patients meeting all criteria and patients failing one criterion  
JA van Vliet1,*, PJE Eekers2,, J Haan1,3, MD Ferrari1, for the Dutch RUSSH Study Group  
van Vliet JA, Eekers PJE, Ferrari MD & Haan J for the Dutch RUSSH Study Group. Evaluating the IHS criteria for cluster headache – a comparison between patients meeting all criteria and patients failing one criterion. Cephalagia 2006. London. ISSN 0333-1024
Cluster headache (CH) is diagnosed according to criteria of the International Headache Society (IHS), but, in clinical practice, these criteria seem too restrictive. As part of a nation-wide study, we identified a group of patients who met all criteria minus one (IHS-CH-1), and assessed in which way they differed from CH patients meeting all criteria (IHS-CH). We performed a nation-wide questionnaire study for CH and CH–like syndromes, including questions based on the IHS criteria, and additional features such as restlessness during attacks, nocturnal onset of attacks, circadian rhythmicity of attacks and response to treatment. IHS-CH and IHS-CH-1 patients were compared. Of 1452 responders to two questionnaires, 1163 were IHS-CH and 289 were IHS-CH-1. The majority of the IHS-CH-1 patients were classified as such because their attacks exceeded 3 h (64%, median attack duration: 5 h), or came in a frequency of less than 1 per 2 days (16%). Age at onset was similar between the groups. The male to female ratio was 3.7 : 1 in the IHS-CH group and around 1.6 : 1 in the IHS-CH-1 groups (P < 0.005). Patients with attacks exceeding 3 h less often reported a circadian rhythmicity (IHS-CH-1: 49%, IHS-CH: 64%), episodic periodicity (IHS-CH-1: 65%, IHS-CH: 78%), nocturnal attacks (IHS-CH-1: 67%, IHS-CH: 78%), smoking (IHS-CH-1: 90%, IHS-CH: 80%) and restlessness during attacks (IHS-CH-1: 64%, IHS-CH: 76%) than IHS-CH patients (P < 0.005). Photo- or phono-phobia (IHS-CH-1: 67%, IHS-CH: 54%) and nausea (IHS-CH-1: 38%, IHS-CH: 27%) were more frequently reported by patients who reported to have attacks exceeding 3 h (P < 0.005). Similar proportions reported effect of verapamil on their attacks (IHS-CH-1: 54%, IHS-CH 61%). We conclude that average attack duration exceeding 3 h was frequently the reason for not fulfilling IHS CH criteria. Symptoms often accompanying CH such as restlessness, nocturnal attacks and an episodic attack pattern were relatively frequently present in IHS-CH-1 patients with longer attacks. These patients may therefore be diagnosed with CH. Attack frequency may not be a useful criterion for the diagnosis of CH. The upper limit of 3 h should be increased in future diagnostic criteria.

Cut and paste it and send it to him! I suggest you don't cut and paste my comments as me calling him a pencil pushing anal retentive hun probably won't endear you to him  Roll Eyes

See you soon hon, we'll have a drink and make a voodoo doll of the bad man!
lots of love
Helen XXX

IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

erikadb
New Board Newbie
USA 

erikadbrovey  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 2:26am »

Mine sometimes run for hours and my neuro (greatest guy in world I miss him) said I was having "intractable clusters" woo-hoo so much fun those were I was in hospital hooked up to a Demerol PCA pump hitting that button like it was my only job on earth, breathing?? who needs breathing?? it has been 7 minutes and I can push button again until finally they stopped.
IP Logged

Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 11:02am »

It is possible to have several headaches going on at the same time.  
However, my hits ALWAYS run 3 hours. Count on it. Last week I was hit for nine straight hours, (as Brian says, most likely 3 back to back without a break)

I always end up with a tension and CH hit at the same time because the CH triggers the tension. I have had a Migraine and CH at the same time as well.  

Vent away, as that is what friends are for. We are here to help

Dragnlance
IP Logged

Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #11 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 12:28pm »

Disappointing response from your neuro.

2 1/2 to 3 hours wasn't unusual for me either - however care of clusterbusters and O2 it's very unusual now!

Good luck
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #12 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 2:01pm »

Your neuro could be right. I too suffer the dread CH and complicated and I mean complicated migraines. Sometimes I get the two together and no one can figure out where one begins and the other one ends. Been hospitalized when that shit happens with tons of IV steroids and tapers which when I get that bad seems to be the only thing that sort of works. Since my last bout after a summer of hell I have been PF for six months a new record for me. I am not counting the five migraines I had. Those were "jokes" compared to the more complicated migraines which last for weeks with horrible symptoms and then if get get in cycle of CH to combine that Iam doomed. .... It is very hard even for the sufferer to determine which is which sometimes , never mind the neuro. Hey when I woke up in the middle of the night with a bad migraine I used my O2 and it actually helped. That was a bonus.
IP Logged
llreed
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 7:01pm »

Hi Shaz,
One statement and you didn't fit the profile....  Been there, alot of us have.  I pray the meds you have bring you some peace.  They (neuro's) in Central Missouri can't except that fact that a women can have them.  I actually had the nerve to tell the new doc. his statistics are out dated and come visit the girls here.  Anyway - gave me the right meds. for CH and wished me many pain free days.  Wishing you many PF days my friend.
llreed

hug
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 4:01am »

Vent away.  Longer than 3hr hits do happen.  It is exhausting to have them and it is exhausting to fight with neuro's.

Glad to see that you got meds.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #15 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 3:26pm »

After 24 year diagnosed with clusters I see a new VA neurologists who "suggests" that we are dealing with something else.  What might that be, pray tell.  Stress headaches. (stress headaches, my fanny) RXd yoga, naprosyn and sccupuncture.  Some neuro are just idiots.  At least he got you on the right meds-what about O2?
PFDAN
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 6:08pm »

When I first started getting CH, my hits would last anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours or longer. After a couple hours of this, I'd head straight to the ER. I was mixing 2 triptans, under my doc's supervision, and when that didn't work, the ER would try O2 (too late), and finally shoot me up with enough dope to knock me out.  

It sucked, because my cycles would last 16 weeks. Towards the end of my cycles, I was getting pretty run down and depressed. Finally, I found this site, and tried some different things. My current neuro understands how my hits run, and has me on meds that work. I also keep him up to date on other drugs that have worked for others here, that aren't usually prescribed for CH. Even if it's news to him, he says I can try whatever I want.  

I know how important it is to have your doc confirm what you already know. I've been to so many, I know my problem, and if they happen to not agree, then screw 'em. In fact, my current neuro, I saw him 13 years ago for migraines, they were tough to treat, and he tried everything he knew. He finally told me he tried all he knew, and couldn't help me. I know some CH'ers have heard that before, and it's hard. So, I moved on. But he does great with my CH, we work together to treat it.  

If your doc will treat you, then keep talking to him... maybe he will see that we are not all the same, and that one long hit in a cycle is really nothing as far as being diagnosed. If we all fit into one rigid mold, then these damn things would be easier to treat, I'm sure. There may even be a (gasp!) cure.

Don't give up! What you have is very real, and has a name. You know what it is. Your doc will come along, but what is important is that he is willing to treat you for these. Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss