Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 8:20pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Back Again! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Back Again!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Back Again!  (Read 247 times)
whart
New Board Newbie

Back Again!
« on: Feb 26th, 2006, 5:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Greetings. I was here once before, a couple of cycles ago. Judging by the date on the last prescription I had, for the last cycle, I suffered most recently starting in late August 2004- so, I've actually gone almost 1.5 years- and here I am again!
This one kicked in almost exactly like they always do- woke me from
a sleep with that typical orb-centered pain, and nasal congestion, all on the same (right) side. The trigger this time, also not unusual- I'm recovering from a bout of that flu that has been going around- leaving me worn out and, it seems, more prone to CH onset.
I quit drinking alcohol about 19 years ago, so my usual drill is to get onto a drug which acts as a prophylactic. I used to use Sansert with mixed sucess, and the drug that finally worked the last time was
Nortriptyline- well, I think it worked, in that I was suffering from 2 or 3 headaches a day starting in late August, 2004- and consuming Imitrex nasal spray which obviously couldn't prevent onset. After trying a variety of substitutes for Sansert- which I think I was told at that time was taken off the market, I landed on the 'Nor' drug which seemed to work after a couple days- either that, or I had completed a cycle by the time I found the drug.
Anyway, a call to my neuro-guy tomorrow to plug back in. And as
they say on the borscht belt, it sucks to be back. Smiley
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Back Again!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 6:09pm »

Welcome back, if there is such a thing as welcome back to these things! I'm still having great luck with lithium as a preventative and cafergot with oxygen for the ones that break through. It gets me through my cycles. Hope you're finding something that works!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 6:11pm »

Welcome back. Sorry you have to be here. Check the meds board, ther've been some different things to try since the last time. I hope this is a short cycle for you, but stick around... we can always use your experience, and support!

Chris
IP Logged

whart
New Board Newbie

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 6:17pm »

Gracie, Guiseppi. I tried Lithium, but found that I felt too drugged, and when i backed off on the dosage, it didn't do the trick. Apparently, the Nortriptyline is like 'Lithium Lite' (scary that) without the same side effects for me.
I usually combine some prophylactic drug- Sansert was my longtime choice- with the Imitrex and various 'home' remedies- eg, sticking my head in the Subzero, chilled saline spray, neck massage, switching from steam to cold, or vice-versa; I only did the H20 thing once, and without the proper mask, basically sucked the entire little tank dry in one go without really getting alot of relief. If this cycle stays, I'll revisit the oxygen route.
Like you said, it isn't nice to be back, but I'm glad for the company- particularly those who have lived with this thing for years, as I have, and have learned how to cope, and share their
thoughts, hopeful and painful.
Regards,
IP Logged
whart
New Board Newbie

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 6:18pm »

Will do, PurpleyDog. Thanks for the acknowledgement.
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 7:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Like you said, it isn't nice to be back, but I'm glad for the company

So are all the others but that wouldn't happen if everybody jumped ship when out of cycle.

Stick around this time.
IP Logged
whart
New Board Newbie

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 7:34pm »

Fair enough. Lips Sealed
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss