Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 7:42am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Kip 10? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Kip 10?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Kip 10?  (Read 2852 times)
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kip 10?
« on: Feb 4th, 2006, 5:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Pain level 7
Wake up, sleep not an option, take the beast for a walk and finally fall into bed exhausted

Pain level 8
Time to scream, yell, curse, head bang, rock, whatever work's

Pain level 9
The "Why me?" syndorme starts to set in

Pain level 10
Major pain, screaming, head banging, ER trip. Depressed. Suicidal.

How would you describe a 10 in short summary after experiencing CH for years?

After my diagnosis I never again went to an emergency room, Never bang my head, seldom scream, No longer overly depressed, Never suicidal.

After around 20 years I found meds to create more mental anquish. I also actually found it not easy but easier to deal with the kip 10 than say a kip 8. Due to the fact at kip-8 you are still somewhat aware of your surroundings.

When the pain is at its highest the mental concentration and the knowing it will pass is also at its highest.

So I would now say

Pain level 10 = Extreme and complete pain, Extreme mind set, Complete and total trance state, Other worlds cease to exist, There is only you in the universe and your pain, Both become one and each overides the other.

Anyone else care to adjust the K-10 description?
I have often thought about this but still cant adequately describe it.
 Its obviously individual to each of us but knowing that each of us have found a way to deal with the extremes can it be summarized in so many words?

MJ
IP Logged

MJ
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

Somewhere in there belongs the word...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 5:32pm »

... "submission" and commitment to just hang on with all that you have and drive through  It's beyond feeling.  I'll agree on the headbanging, no screaming, although a lot of weeping and moaning goes on.

Very difficult to describe.

IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Kip 10?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 5:50pm »

I like it the way it stands currently in original form.  That is how I find my 10.  Very extreame, head banging, suicidal, etc.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
kayarr
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kayarr2k  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 7:02pm »

I know I am here almost in my hunny's behalf but he describes it as perfect pain.  That it encompasses all of the elements that make pain what it is...ie. hot, cold, sharp, dull, pinpoint, radiant....
IP Logged

Nothing is impossible! Just believe!!!!!
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 7:07pm »

on Feb 4th, 2006, 5:21pm, MJ wrote:
Anyone else care to adjust the K-10 description?

Nope....10 is 10
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 8:42am »

Until CH, I thought pain was having some fingers severed, breaking a few ribs, having regrafted bone fragments removed from my foot or breaking an arm or leg.    

But after experiencing CH attacks where I had to constantly remind myself to breathe while fearing that the indescribable/unearthly pain would stop my heart...  

I always felt a special notch could be added to the top of the scale.  I think CH can deliver pain beyond KIP10.

Tom  
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2006, 8:42am by burnt-toast » IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
thenucman
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 12:36pm »

Almost all of your descriptions are good.

The perfect pain .. I like that.

About once a year, I'll hit a blockbuster. It's the one I will remember as redefining my '10'. It's usually on the road somewhere, no O2, already used whatever meds I had with me, probably between 12am and 2am.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 11:48am »

Now when I look at those descriptions of a kip 10, I've had it few times. The perfect pain... good title for a book!

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 11:52am »

on Feb 5th, 2006, 8:42am, burnt-toast wrote:
Until CH, I thought pain was having some fingers severed, breaking a few ribs, having regrafted bone fragments removed from my foot or breaking an arm or leg.    

But after experiencing CH attacks where I had to constantly remind myself to breathe while fearing that the indescribable/unearthly pain would stop my heart...  

I always felt a special notch could be added to the top of the scale.  I think CH can deliver pain beyond KIP10.

Tom  

I had gallstones and thought that pain was bad (4 ER trips over 9 months).  I have broken bones in my fingers and ankle before.   I had 2 disks in my neck need to be replaced and shooting nerve pain down my arm.

The pain I experienced in my first cycle (last year)  was worse than all of those.  If I had the gallstone pain now, I wouldn't even go to the ER.  The kip scale does a good job describing it for those of us who have experienced it, but I wonder if a non-CHer would really understand even reading those descriptions.
IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #9 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 12:10pm »

can't remember which one the "bobs" said it, but I've sinced loved the word "exquisite". kind of "silence of the lambs"-like....  

scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 2:45pm »

on Feb 6th, 2006, 11:52am, FramCire wrote:
The kip scale does a good job describing it for those of us who have experienced it, but I wonder if a non-CHer would really understand even reading those descriptions.

Not only do I believe that someone who never had a CH could never, I mean NEVER understand the magnitude of the pain, but not until you have talked to other CH sufferers can you utilize the scale somewhat accurately. I have stated in a previous post that when I first came to this group I was sure that I suffered from kip 10's during a cycle, but with the education that reading others posts brings, I now realize that I probably have never had a CH go past an 8, and I am certainly hoping that never changes.
IP Logged

Life may not be good, but I think it beats the alternative, and if it doesn't, we'll find out soon enough
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #11 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 2:40am »

I think the definition of a Kip 10 is pretty much dead on.  During the worst of attacks I scream, cry, curse, bang my head with my fist and wish for death.  I'm ashamed to say, I actually begged my wife to shoot me on at least one occassion.

IP Logged
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 3:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

it just plain hurts, I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 8:15pm »

Wink
I remember my last "10". I was flopping on the floor slingin snot and sounding like Linda Blair in The Exorcist.
All the imitrex was jabbed and not working. I suppose it was about and hour ....I forgot to breathe. The body has ways of dealing with the beast. I woke up with my wife and the neighbor dragging my carcass out the door for the ER trip.That's a 10. I won't soon forget the look on my wifes face as I come too.  
I like the analogy of the pain is comparable to amputation without anethesia. Tongue I noted this gets their attention and there are no mention of meegraines after that description. Cool
All the best  
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #14 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 8:18pm »

KIP 10

PRAY FOR DEATH! TEARS!!
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 9:01pm »

Quote:
I think the definition of a Kip 10 is pretty much dead on.  During the worst of attacks I scream, cry, curse, bang my head with my fist and wish for death.  I'm ashamed to say, I actually begged my wife to shoot me on at least one occassion.

I can say that I have begged my wife to shoot me many many times. I even asked my boss once when I got hit at work.  

I one time screamed at an ER nurse who got snotty with me and told me that 10 would be like cutting your arm off. I screamed at her to cut my goddamn arm off as it MIGHT distract me a little from the monster in my head. (this was the day I found my first HA doctor, as he head me and sent the nurse elsewhere and took care of me)

I have run my hand thu gears, been hit by a car and a truck and I can tell you NOTHING is like a kip 10 monster.  

I believe that non CH sufferers, (we should call them Muggles, like Harry Potter and Geocachers do) would never understand some of the posts above, although we all know exactly what we are trying to convey.  

I would call it
Pain to the exclusion of all else, all thought centered on making it go away and will attempt anything in the world to make it stop, even to ending one's life.  

twocents twocents
Dragnlance
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2006, 9:02pm by Dragnlance » IP Logged

agonymum
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #16 on: Feb 11th, 2006, 7:58am »

after giving birth twice in excruciating pain for 24 hours with my first child , i can honestly say that i would rather give birth every day for the rest of my life rather than suffer the pure pain of a kip 10 for one minute .
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #17 on: Feb 11th, 2006, 11:09pm »

on Feb 7th, 2006, 3:55am, maffumatt wrote:
it just plain hurts, I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.

I used to say that.  Now I have a list containing selected insurance company bean counters, administrators and sell out doctors that conspire to deny us the meds we need in the amounts needed.  There's probably a few drug company people that could join the list as well.  I'd like to watch that over and over with sadistic glee until they forked over the drugs.

IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 12th, 2006, 11:58am »

you may want to add a few employers to the list, so they also understand what it is we go thru!
IP Logged

vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 7:57am »

"You’re on 10, all the way up, all the way up...Where can you go from there? Nowhere. What we do, is if we need that extra push over the cliff...Eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

I think I've had 11s...
 Grin
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
karrie35
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #20 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 11:28am »

To me a "10" is beyond your threshold of pain.
It is off the charts.
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #21 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 11:33am »

doesn't anything beyond a "10"  actually imply that one's gray matter has actually shot out through the eye socket and made a mess of the room?

Smiley

scott
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 4:03pm »

THAT HAPPENED TO ME!!!!
IP Logged

Shaz
New Board Veteran
England 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #23 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 6:35am »

I relate to JBs description of the Excorsist.......

My daughter always closes the windows so the neighbours cant hear...... She says they will either think I am being slaughtered or having the most incredible sex.........

Shaz  Kiss

IP Logged
Ghost
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Farting relieves the pressure

« Reply #24 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 11:45am »

I did find this helped to calm the insurance bean counters and non sufferers to understand a little better. I know everyone is different but I repeat I use this scale and hints and even had 3 docs ask for copies for there use. It to me as I tell them a guideline not an exact. For every sufferer there will be variations. I tried giving 1st doc kip scale and he told me it didnt make sense to him. That is why I came up with this and these are as I told him what I experience. Also what I could gather by talking to others.

CLUSTER HEADACHES PAIN SCALE

Pain level 0  
No pain, life is beautiful

Pain level 1  
Very minor, Short lived ache, very slight pressure. Kind of like leaning against a sharp edge of a wall on your temple.

Pain level 2  
Low pain level. Similar to wearing a very tight hat while leaning against a sharp edge of a wall on your temple.

Pain level 3  
Start at Level 2 and add, Almost a pulsing sensation, but drawn out a little. Just above a dull warm pain, but not a real distraction. Still able to function, but definitely a problem.

Pain level 4  
Eye may water some here and above. Sharp but not really a burning sensation, but defiantly warm. Real desire to apply pressure to area.  

Pain level 5  
Very sharp pain, almost burning sensation, but still able to function at a very low level. Absolute need to hold area, also some rocking.

Pain level 6  
Very sharp and definite burning, rocking necessary, pressure like heated fork pushing against temple/eye area.

Pain level 7  
Repeat Sharp for rest, Burning more intense, similar to the heated fork or skewer actually penetrating into the skull but not through it, possible spreading to cheek and jaw area like a mild to bad toothache.  

Pain level 8  
Pain now at a level of a red hot poker replaced by the heated fork or skewer, burrowing from temple to eye. Possible tightness and burning in the jaw area, similar to a severe toothache.

Pain level 9  
Similar to Level 8 but pain now spreading to cheek and beyond also sensation of intense pressure from inside trying to push out.

Pain level 10  
Major pain, screaming, head banging, ER trip. Depressed. Suicidal. From a Level 9 you now will experience the feeling you scull is being split open and salt being poured into it. Nothing to compare to this level. Can result in Blackouts. Dangerously  intense.

Helpful Hints

• At each level see prior and add to where you are.
• Most attacks last from 15 min. to 3+ hours.
• O2 is a valid and preferred treatment at most levels of pain to end(abort) a Cluster Attack sooner. Usually administered at 10-15 lpm with a Non re-breather mask.
• For most it is also necessary to use Imitrex injection.
• Most oral meds and inhaled meds will not affect the attack you are in now, but if taken prior to attack may result in some relief.
• The Levels listed here are a guideline, taken from my own experiences and from information gathered from others.
• For most the attack ramps up rapidly and subsides almost as fast, but it may take several hours to recover from it. Very energy draining.
• Caffeine may also assist in aborting an attack.
• Most Cluster Headache sufferers are misdiagnosed for many years, some with sinus headaches, tension headaches, migraines, and even toothaches/infections.
• Cluster headaches can and often are accompanied by other types of headaches, Sinus, Stress, Migraine, and others making it hard to detect and/or diagnose.  
• Cluster Headaches are real and should never be considered a minor inconvenience,  The cause is still being debated but there is no known cure as of yet.
• Remember you are the one suffering, don’t let others tell you how much it doesn’t hurt!  
• Shadow; some of the symptoms but without a measurable amount of pain(pressure).
• Twinge; Short burst of pain usually to fast to produce side effects.  
• Episodic; Episodes of Cluster headaches that are under 1 year in length, or with 30 days or more during a calendar year of being Pain Free.
• Chronic; Episodes of Cluster headaches that are over 1 year in length, or with less than 30 days during a calendar year of being Pain Free.
• There are various methods and treatments, both conventional and non-conventional. Overall it seems Oxygen at a higher rate while using a Non re-breather mask seems to be the most effective.
• Some people experience Cluster attacks as a result of a trigger ie. alcohol, smoking, foods, ect…  
• Never let a doctor, or other medical professional dismiss it as psychosomatic, or imagined pain.  
IP Logged

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum
If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?

***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss